1948 Champion coupe leans on corners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Champion coupe leans on corners.

I have not driven my 48 coupe much yet, but I am concerned about how much it leans on corners. I am talking about corners taken at 5-10 MPH or less. I have made the 'old jump on the bumper test' and it seems to have good shocks. I have noted that there are no stabilizer bars, front or rear. Did the 1948 Champion offer a stabilizer bar? If not, is it possible to build them?

They all lean on curves.

Comment

ANYTHING is possible.
      Drill motor, wrench set, tape measure, and some creativity.

Comment

My '49 leaned a lot.
        Get used to it, and don't hot dog it.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

MY brother's 59 Chevy leans like that. It is a combo of soft springs, wore-out bushings, and no sway bars. I have had that thing about flipped on turns, even banked ones.
          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
          Lizella, GA

Comment

I drive a Miata as my DD. This is going to take some getting used to.
            Thanks for the replies.

Comment

My 1947 Champion 4-door sedan used to have the same problem.

At the suggestion of a couple of members of the Atlantic Canada Chapter SDC, I had an excellent local spring shop put one extra leaf in each rear spring of the car a few years ago. (Later, I found that this is how Studebaker made a heavy-duty spring.) The improvement in handling was amazing, especially cornering. Also, the rear end of the car sits about 3 cm. higher, looking much more attractive.

Another worthwhile improvement resulted from switching from bias-ply to radial tires a few years before the spring job. My preference is to use tires no larger than 195R75-15 to reduce the chance of wheel problems. Since this tire size is now difficult to find, I look for tires of similar profile.
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

I would recommend staying off all roads with corners .

Comment

Working...
                X