Thread: Studebaker Offenhauser Kit for sale--SOLD 5-10-12

offemhauser kit for sale #2

I have a Offenhauser kit, like the one first used by Fred Offenhauser, on a new 53 taken on a national tour for promotion. This car is pictured in the "Merchants of speed" post here. The kit includes a Offenhauser Aluminum intake, Stromberg 4 bbl. (450cfm), air horn adapter, Mallory distributor, and air cleaner, either nos dry type or used oil bath. Her are a couple of shots, showing the one on my car and the one for sale.

The kit also has documentation, and includes copies of original installation instructions. More pictures and other info if anyone intrested

I SOLD NUMBER ONE, THIS IS THE SECOND ONE I HAVE. THE ITEMS PICTURED , THE DIST. HAS 2000 MILES ON IT. PLUS A REV-POL COIL AND DASH SWITCH. THE AIR CLEANER IS OIL BATH. IF ANYONE IS INTRESTED i WILL SEND OR POST HERE THE EXACT ITEMS, PRICE IS $1500.00 ALSO HAVE A SPARE NOS CARB. PRICE WITH EXTRA CARB. iS $1750
    Last edited by Flashback; 09-04-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: update

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A DREAMER

President Member
    I am 99% sure it is way out of my budget, and I would not want to offend you by a low ball offer, but that kit is beautiful and I would kill to have it on my truck....I guess I should save up....do you have a price in mind?

Man would that look nice with a set of Offy valve covers.

I might have to kill someone and take their money to buy this....kidding of course.

Beautiful.
    I'd be so tempted to display it under a glass desk top and look at it when working. One thing's for sure - the desk would have ZERO clutter on top!
    Andy
    62 GT

There are some detailed pic's of this setup on Webshots, when it was offered up at the swap meet at last years SDC SE Zone Meet in Tifton, GA.
    A beautiful new setup...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/579927586XfICdf

Silver Hawk Member
    That's a real time capsule. Any idea when it was purchased?

I'm always amazed at how much NOS speed equipment is still on our collective shelves out there. I know of one NOS Iskenderian camshaft, bought new in the late 1950s, has changed hands five times and never been installed in an engine.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    I have a Offenhauser kit, like the one first used by Fred Offenhauser, on a new 53 taken on a national tour for promotion. This car is pictured in the "Merchants of speed" post here. The kit includes a Offenhauser Aluminum intake, Stromberg 4 bbl. (450cfm), air horn adapter, Mallory distributor, and air cleaner, either nos dry type or used oil bath. Her are a couple of shots, showing the one on my car and the one for sale.

The kit also has documentation, and includes copies of original installation instructions. More pictures and other info if anyone intrested.
    Tex did I sell that to you last year?? I sold one just like it to some one.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

I have never seen a bonnet. Now I have. Thanks!

kmac, it's not out of budget. I have been tempted to keep it and put it in a glass case I have. However, I am near 68 years old, and I will probably never use it , since I have another. Thanks for the connection there, Jeff. No candstubakers, I bought this over several years in pieces. The carburetor was still in the original box, as well as the air cleaner and distributor. The intake has been beeded. I have three of the carburetors. So I decided to sell a complete kit and save a spare carb for my car. Originally the oil bath was used on the 53 and 54 C/K's because of hood clearence. There was a Offenhauser/Studebaker brochere for a weatherly index, that shows the parts. I will furnish a copy of this with the kit. I would like to keep it all together, but might sell the distributor seperate, if I have someone that will buy the rest. I really have only recently gotten serious about selling. I may want too much and still have to use it as display. I need to build my 53 engine and I am selling this to get a start. here's the air cleaner.
    Price is $1200.00
    Last edited by Flashback; 04-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Beautiful stuff, Flashback!

My opinion is that you are not out of line on your pricing. I would imagine it is probably one of the few (maybe the only?) set up like this (NOS) in existence. Quite special indeed.

I did find the Offy valve covers and valley cover for the Kart Hauler, so they are out there if someone wanted to complete the look...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Cool kit. I purchased a '54 Commander years ago that had one installed:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...78480179JLZLym

I ended up selling it off in pieces for a pretty good chunk of change -so I think your price is appropriate.

Interestingly, the kit that was on my car must have been installed very early in its life (it was a one-owner Southern California car purchased by a realestate agent) because the matching Offy valve covers had damaged/grooved fins from the heater cable rubbing against them since they're a bit taller than the stock covers.

The other intersting thimng about the car was that by 1968 (last registered) the cars front fenders had already been seriously patched and when I tore it apart for restoration, I found at least half a bucket of dirt behind the fenders. Looking at the maps I found in the glovebox of the San Fernando Valley, I just imagined this guy driving around dirt roads to new home development sites in his Coral Red Offy equipped V8 hardtop.
    Last edited by wcarroll@outrageous.net; 05-01-2012 at 12:59 AM.

President Member
    Flashback,
    $1200 is a great price and not out of line at all. I would have thought you were asking closer to 2k for all of it. Unfortunately that is STILL out of MY budget. Man that is cool though and will make someone a very sharp look car underhood.

Please keep it together with the distributor....just too cool to split up.

Dick,
    I love that motor in the Carthauler {Karthauler?}. I hope it is ok with you, but I have cut and pasted that motor to a couple of friends and we all OOGLE over it. Gorgeous.

Hey Tex, sent you a PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Banned
    Stromberg 4bbl carbs are a rarity. Does anyone know if they were used as original equipment on any American vehicle? It kind of looks like a Carter WCFB 'knock-off' but not exactly.

It came a little before the WCFB. It was used only on 52-54 Buicks as original equipment. It was used on the straight 8 Buick in 52and on V/8 in 53 and 54. Offenhauser actually bought new carburetors and had a part # they used in the catalogue, They are 450 cfm and many were used on 2X4 setups back in the day. I drove mine to the S E zone meet last year and got 19.5 mpg.

Banned
    To: Flashback,----Thanks for the info! GM probably replaced this Stromberg when the Rochester 4GC was ready?

Maybe I am not updating properly ? Just to let everyone know, the offy/mallory package, is on it's way to one of our members in Finland. Yall know how it is to hoard. However, I believe it went to a good home. I am going to post some other items I need to sell. I want to get The Saturday Night Special back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    There was a guy in the late 90s selling these at York for $25! I should have bought them all, I think he had 6 or 8 of them.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 Dr Wagon

Update. 9-3-13 I have a second kit for sale. Go back to beginning of this post for info. It is the actual kit shown in the first photo.

Real reasonable price, It wont last long.
    Good work is never cheap, and cheap work is never good!!!

Stude offenkauser kit F S #2

update to original post