Pierce, Studebaker, Rockne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierce, Studebaker, Rockne

I have an ashtray from a dealership that lists these three car makes. I was wondering what years would these cars be available at the same time.

Ken

32 & 33, I believe the Rockne name was only used for these 2 years.

Comment

Is it possible the ashtray was not saying that they were selling all three at the same time, but rather that they had sold all three brands over the years?

I just did a little wiki search and radioT is correct, 32-33 would have overlapped all 3 and maybe '31, but I do not know if they actually put any '31 Rockne's on the road or if that was just a design year, but wiki {I know, marginal info} says there was a '31 Rockne. Either way, no more than '31-'33.ad
      Last edited by kmac530; 04-29-2012, 08:44 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Radiotech has it right (1932-33). My guess is that your ashtray looks like the one above?
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

There were two prototypes that some would consider 1931 Rocknes.
          In 1930, Ralph Vail and Roy Cole operated an engineering/consulting firm in Detroit.
          Willys-Overland commissioned them to design a new small six and build two prototypes.
          Upon presenting the two vehicles to W-O the independent designers/engineers where told W-O was on the verge of bankruptcy and they could do what they wanted with the cars, one a sedan, one a coupe.
          Vail stopped in South Bend and demonstrated the car to Albert Erskine. Erskine bought the design that day and both Vail and Cole would be brought in to the Studebaker organization.
          The Rockne moniker was a later adoption so, technically, there were no 1931 Rocknes. Call them 1931 Vailcoles. Would be sweet to find one.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Mr Quinn,

That is the same ashtray. Do you have an idea as to where the dealership was located?

Ken

Comment

Manchester, New Hampshire
              Last edited by 64V-K7; 04-29-2012, 04:28 PM.
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by jd-stude View Post
                Mr Quinn,

That is the same ashtray. Do you have an idea as to where the dealership was located?

Ken
                Yes, Manchester NH is correct. I am guessing 64V-K7 got his information from my post on this topic some months ago: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-you-ever-seen....
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Dick,

Would yoiu kindly show us that owner-soiled handkerchief with the JMS monogram. Surely you have one in your attic, no? LOL!
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    Dick,

Would yoiu kindly show us that owner-soiled handkerchief with the JMS monogram. Surely you have one in your attic, no? LOL!
                    May have Bob. I do know I have his cigar lighter and his ash tray. Wanna see 'em?
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Sure thing! More than SEE them, I'd like to hear how you got them. Geez Richard, there's the makin's of a monthly column in itself. I'm sure I'm not alone in finding fascinating, the stuff you've amassed. Look at the popularity of Pawn Stars and the like nowdays. Surely you didn't buyu all this stuff offa ebay.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        Sure thing! More than SEE them, I'd like to hear how you got them. Geez Richard, there's the makin's of a monthly column in itself. I'm sure I'm not alone in finding fascinating, the stuff you've amassed. Look at the popularity of Pawn Stars and the like nowdays. Surely you didn't buyu all this stuff offa ebay.
                        Very little bought on Ebay. Too expensive as a rule. Most came from South Bend sources back in the 70s and scrounging dealers for over 30 years.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                        X