Wagonaire-Installing the Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Wagonaire-Installing the Windshield

The windshield went in today. Here's a blow by blow...

Wagonaire-Installing the Windshield

1.5 hours total.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

There's no substitute for experience. I was a bit shocked at the amount of the sealant that was all over that shiny new paint, but it came out really nice!
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Boy, there's no substitute for experience to give one confidence accomplishing that task. Well-played. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dick, If Adam is open to do another windshield i need his contact info. I'm almost ready for an install. Thank you. Harvey
        Last edited by gs-xnr; 04-28-2012, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Dick,
          Glad to see to called in a Pro! They make it look "so easy" don't they?
          I had my glass guy put the windshield & back glass in my Avanti last year, He also made it "look easy" <G>

Will you be bringing the wagon to S. Bend in July???

Jim

jIM
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
            Dick,
            Glad to see to called in a Pro! They make it look "so easy" don't they?
            I had my glass guy put the windshield & back glass in my Avanti last year, He also made it "look easy" <G>

Will you be bringing the wagon to S. Bend in July???

Jim

jIM
            Jim,
            I probably won't make South Bend this year. Too many other draws on time and money, unfortunately. You guys will have a great meet I am sure. Always do.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Dick, very well done pictorial. Signed up for future updates. Your reputation for treating people right on car deals is paying off.

Comment

Wow, that's great. I'd like him to come down to Oregon and redo my 66 Cruiser's windshield. Someone put it in the car crooked and it leaks!! The seals are cracked anyway.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Wow , A garage with nice green grass in front of it . . Must not use it very often . ........

Comment

Excellent tutorial, best i've ever seen, and I've even helped a pro do this. Thanks
                    1947 M5 under restoration
                    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

I too will be following your blog. Your posting style is great and your content is top notch! Keep it up.
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Great step-by-step photography. We're really enjoying your posts on the Wagonaire.
                        There's nothing like a driving behind a perfectly clear windshield to really make the car seem new again.
                        The most beautiful paint in the world looks like crap through the glare and scratches of weathered glass.
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Great instructions Dick.

I decided to try putting the windshield in my '62 Champ truck and I followed Dick's notes. This was the first time I attempted to install a windshield. I bought 2 suction cups from Harbor Freight. They worked great. I used the 3M Bedding and Glazing compound. I bought 2 tubes to make sure I didn't skimp and I used about 1 1/2 tubes. I put linseed oil on the interior edge of the gasket to aid sliding the glass in place. That worked great. I also put linseed oil on the trim tabs before installing the stainless in the gasket. That really helped lock the trim in place and allowed for a bit of movement to get everything centered correctly. One added thing I did was to tape the trim all the way around the windshield. This held the trim in place and made the cleanup easier. I also taped around the windshield opening before installing the glass to ease cleanup.

I went slow on initial installation to make sure I had the glass centered before getting too much of the seal roped in place. I pulled a little bit of rope, checked center, pulled some more... It was easy to slide the glass side to side early in the process, harder later. Once I had the entire lower edge engaged, I used the suction cups to pull the glass down and seat it in the bottom channel. This made it easy to turn the corners at the top.

I was surprised how easy this was. I wouldn't hesitate doing another one. Just go slow, check alignment as you go and be patient. One other thing that helped was to wear blue nitrile gloves. I changed them frequently to avoid getting sealant on everything.

Thanks to Dick for a great post. It was very helpful.
                          Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop
                          1962 Champ Truck
                          1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Working...
                          X