Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oddest optioned car you have ever see...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our local Dodge dealer had a beautiful Nightwatch blue 1981 Dodge St. Regis on the showroom floor with a Chrysler Newport trunk lid on it! I mentioned it to our salesman and he said he hadn't noticed it!!

Comment

To: qsanford,----I'm not too surprised to hear about that St. Regis. I worked for Chrysler during that time period, and build quality was quite poor. (i.e. Wind whistles and Water leaks) Real bad!

Comment

Back in the days when you could actually order a vehicle no power steering and manual drum brakes was the norm. A/C was a big deal.
        I'm dealing on a 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T.440+6,4-speed with a 3.54 Dana rear end.No power steering or brakes which was not uncommon,not even thought of as rare.
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Note that since I'm from the Wash DC area and quite a few American brand cars came back here from use overseas during the 1970's so they tended to have some odd features i.e. a guy gave me a ride in a 1968 Ford LTD. I believe it was a 4 door hardtop, car had a 390 V8 with a 3spd on the column due to the fact if an AT crapped out in some place like Kabul, Afghanistan, no one could fix it hence the manual tranny. And it had a power seat. Another oddball was a 1967 Pontiac Executive 4 door sedan, 400 V8 but no options whatsoever with the possible exception of a radio............3 spd stick, manual everything.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Had a 56 Golden Hawk that had power windows, power seat, Chrome valve covers, and 3spd OD.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My buddy had a '64 Galaxie 4 door with factory 390, 3-2 barrels, and four speed. We called it the moonshiners special.
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

My aunt and uncle who lived just outside Miami, FL bought a new '53 Chevrolet Bel Air hardtop with the only option being two-tone paint- no heater, no radio, black walls, dog dish hubcaps. A few years ago I responded to an ad in The Washington Post and bought a '63 Daytona hardtop Skytop- only options were the skytop and a heater- six, three-speed stick, original 6.00x 15 black walls, dog dish hubcaps.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I remember as a little kid going with my Dad to pick out his new Pontiac (Safari? Whatever the Malibu-sized one was called) in '78. He got all the way thru the colors and options until they got to the part about not building him one with a 4-speed. I remember having a blast getting to sit in all the shiny, brand new cars while this was going on until he came and got me- "Let's go Danny, I won't pay money for a car with an automatic transmission so we're leaving." We then went down the street to the Chevy store, and went all the way thru it again (and I got to play in a whole new set of cars.) Awesome. So, my dad got a nice Malibu with a bunch of options and a manual transmission. The back windows didn't roll down though which was always strange.
                  Now that I think of it, the one new car I've had I had a hard time getting one with no options (manual trans, windows, seats, etc.) I guess my Dad's idea of what should be on the car kinda rubbed off on me.
                  Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Back around 1970 I bought a '56 Commander four door that had been in a fender bender. It was two-tone green with all-vinyl pleated green interior, auto. trans., and power windows on the front doors only. I parted it out! Sure wish now I would have fixed and kept it.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      Back around 1970 I bought a '56 Commander four door that had been in a fender bender. It was two-tone green with all-vinyl pleated green interior, auto. trans., and power windows on the front doors only.
                      This '58 President that was mentioned here not long ago also had 'front-only' power windows. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=president

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X