Thread: Carb advice needed

Golden Hawk Member

Carb advice needed

Ok, so the carb on the '53 truck with Big Six was redone by Dave T-Bow, and the truck runs great. However, it stalls when trying to start off as you give it gas. Pull the choke out partially and the problem goes away, and it takes the fuel and goes just fine. I'd rather it be "right". Any ideas, folks? Thanks.

It has an electric fuel pump if that would be in any way part of the problem.
    Matthew Burnette

President Member
    Matt

To me, that is a indication of a lean mixture. I'd clean the carb out as I think you have some dirt in the circuit some where.

The fact that it runs well at partial choke indicates there is sufficient gas available.

By the way, Nice truck, ENJOY!!!

Bob
    , ,

If you're getting stumble on acceleration or starting off then it is probably the accelerator pump not putting out enough fuel. My be the linkage, clogged fuel path, ball checks, or dead pump piston seal.
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue

See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Silver Hawk Member
    Hi, Matthew,

Before touching the carburetor, completely go through the ignition first. I've found the majority of the problems blamed on the carb are actually in the ignition. If you don't know for a hard fact it has had new points, condensor, rotor, cap, plug wires and plugs recently, replace them all. Have the centrifugal and vacuum advance curves confirmed on a machine.

Then, once you know the ignition is as good as it can be, start working on the carb.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Golden Hawk Member
    Thanks guys. I'll take all of that into consideration.

I can't tell you when the last time it was given a tune up. The fire dept. owned it from 1953 to 2001. At that time it was sold to one of the fireman's brother. It had 12,600 miles on it. He never drove it, and sold it to Larry in 2005. I bought it from Larry 6 years later with 13,700 miles. So it's only been driven 1100 miles in the last 10 years. I have a list of receipts of work that Larry had done on it, but there's no ignition parts listed. I'll throw a tune up at it and go from there.
    Matthew Burnette

Check for a vacuum leak at the intake manifold gaskets.

President Member

I agree

I agree with Jeff.
    If Dave "T"bow did the carb you can be sure it was done right.
    Take a piece of 1/4 " tubing and stick one side in your ear and listen for air leaks.
    Or buy a statoscope from Pepboys.
    Robert Kapteyn

Silver Hawk Member
    Dave T. is the best around, still, make sure You're getting a healthy squirt of gas from the accelerator pump (this really is a VERY common problem)

Speedster Member
    Mine started to need more choke to run correctly. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

Golden Hawk Member
    I bet you're onto something Jeff. The foremost manifold stud/bolt is missing.
    Matthew Burnette