Thread: Fuel pump on Chevy V8 in a Lark How much Clearance is OK??

President Member

Fuel pump on Chevy V8 in a Lark How much Clearance is OK??

Putting together my 62 Lark with a 327 slowly but surely. I've read some posts on clearance issues with the chevy mechanical fuel pump to frame. My entire drive train is installed and buttoned down and looking at installing the fuel pump I will have about 1/4" clearance at the closest point to the frame. Is that enough space? I'm not going to remove the engine to bang the frame, so my only alternative would be an electric pump, but I prefer to stay with the mechanical pump. Thanks.

There's a couple of different design mechanical fuel pumps for a small block Chevy. Try looking at a Summit Racing or Jegs catalog (or NAPAonline) and see the various makes and designs...you might just find something that works and allays any apprehensions you have.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

SI has the stock SASCO had. There were some NOS pumps last time I checked. They are definately different and they fit.

Speedster Member
    Get a Holley mechanical fuel pump for the SBC. The bottom is removable and you are able to index the inlet and outlet to obtain sufficient clearance. This is what I used when I put a 350 in a 62 Daytona and have had no problems. I would be very suspect of any NOS fuel pumps with old "rubber" components.

#1 CASO
    Last edited by 31Streetrod; 04-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Lost in the 50\'s

#1 CASO ??

(the pumps at SASCO were 50 bucks)

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by (S) View Post

#1 CASO ??

(the pumps at SASCO were 50 bucks)
    SASCO = NOS = pumps with non-corn squeezin compatible rubber parts = rebuild before using.

OK... maybe a #2 CASO
    Lost in the 50\'s

NORTH NorthWest Washington State (Custer, WA)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31Streetrod View Post
    SASCO = NOS = pumps with non-corn squeezin compatible rubber parts = rebuild before using.
    OK... maybe a #2 CASO
    That's what everyone said last time this topic came up. (about six months ago?)
    I'll say the same thing now that I said then--

"tell that to the NOS fuel pump that's on my current daily driver!!!"

Five or more years, 20,000 miles or more and it has yet to leak a drop...

But it doesn't much matter, really-- they are NOT in SI's catalog anymore.
    StudeDave '57
    President
    Whatcom County Chapter
    Studebaker Drivers Club

President Member
    Good suggestions, but back to original question. Is 1/4" clearnce too little? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Good suggestions, but back to original question. Is 1/4" clearnce too little? Thanks
    Personally- I think I'd want a little more room then that. How much room would depend on which pump you've got, how heavy your foot is, and how good your motor mounts are. If there's one thing I've learned about driving a '65 (nearly everyday for well over 200,000 miles) it is this~ those 'one pump fits all' SBC pumps are NOTHING like what was stock, and WILL bump on the frame sooner or later. Get the good one, or do something different.

FWIW~ Here's the picture I took last time around~

That's an NOS pump on a '65 Cruiser. The rest are here~
    http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...20fuel%20pump/

StudeDave '57

President Member
    Thanks. You're giving me a lot to think about. Intuitively it looks a little close. It's really the outlet pipe. the body itself is about 1" away. I think I'm gonna try to find one with the adustable pipe. I can always change to electric if I need to, but I'd rather start with the mechanical pump.

I just went out to the shop and took a look at the Cruiser. I can run my index finger between the frame and the pump with no problem. Now, to be fair- this frame has been 'modified' a bit because back in the day before the NOS pump was installed- I got tired of smashing the bottom of those cheapo pumps. But it wasn't beat down too much, honestly. When the motor mounts 'settled' down a bit- those lame pumps still managed to hit!!!
    It'll take some research on your part, but I think if the right pump can be found- you'll be fine with or without 'fixing' the frame. That's why I posted the link above- there are pictures of an NOS pump that may help you in your search for one like it. If you need more info about that pump- let me know- I can take measurements or better pictures if you'd like.

We're actually planning to be under Dad's '66 this week-
    maybe I can get some pictures of the bottom for you?
    (then again- it may have a 'cheapo' pump on it...?)

StudeDave '57
    Last edited by StudeDave57; 04-15-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added words

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    That's about twice as much as I have with my 283 Daytona running an Airtex ($20, Advance Auto)fuel pump.
    The NOS AC pump I got from a now extinct Stude vendor some years ago (clearance) wasn't a whole lot better.
    Short answer-you'll be okay.

President Member
    Summit Racing actually has a pump that is listed for Studebaker. Looks just like the one in Stude Dave's picture. I still think I may go with a Holley which has an adjustable outlet so I can position it in the best place.