X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a quick video of what it looks like on trial fit # 34
    Jeff

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Y'all would have laughed your butts off watching me put the rubber on the Lexan, and putting the stainless in the rubber....
    A monkey and a football comes to mind
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Cool Clip... Matthew does great work.
      sigpic1959 4E2D 498 Studebaker Scotsman 4X4

http://www.napco4x4.org/gallery/m80-...-protype1.html

Comment

Cool, Jeff; it's looking good.

Question: Do you mean Matthew was on location to physically help install the windshield?

I ask because the remark was made about Matthew doing good work (which he does). But you commented that you were going to paint the windshield stainless surround, so I thought it was a bit odd to pay for stainless polishing on pieces you intended to paint! BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 06-27-2012, 02:57 AM. Reason: spelling
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The only thing that I did was dig through my pile of stainless and come up with all of the pieces, then sold them to Jeff. He didn't want them polished, just straight and dent free. I took out a couple of dings but that's it. Jeff gets all the credit for hacking it up and putting it in. <grin>

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            The only thing that I did was dig through my pile of stainless and come up with all of the pieces, then sold them to Jeff. He didn't want them polished, just straight and dent free. I took out a couple of dings but that's it. Jeff gets all the credit for hacking it up and putting it in. <grin>
            Got it, Matthew. Thanks for the clarification. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Odd is the operative word, BP
              The windscreen (Lexan) was pop-riveted in place when I bought the car.
              I found that a third of the pop rivets were 'fake', and didn't actually hold the windscreen in place.
              My 'solution' was to go back to the way it was originally designed, but with Lexan instead of glass.
              Could have left it sans stainless, but liked the idea of the stainless as a support ring to help keep things in place.
              But I had nothing to use, and sought out the premier Stude stainless guy...
              (since Dale McPherson retired and trained some punk kid to do the stuff)
              Matthew helped me with the pieces I needed.
              But the car is black... All the shiny stuff is black....
              Black, black, black..... I can't go back now...
              So... The trim is getting sanded and painted black.
              Thought about powder coat, but the pieces slip together so snug, powder-coat would probably mess up the fit.
              Even painting them loose and them reassembling will mess them up.
              So, they are getting prepped and painted in place.....Someday.
              I have been working so much, I haven't touched the car in almost a month.
              Jeff

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Cool, Jeff; it's looking good.

Question: Do you mean Matthew was on location to physically help install the windshield?

I ask because the remark was made about Matthew doing good work (which he does). But you commented that you were going to paint the windshield stainless surround, so I thought it was a bit odd to pay for stainless polishing on pieces you intended to paint! BP

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Odd is the operative word, BP
                The windscreen (Lexan) was pop-riveted in place when I bought the car.
                I found that a third of the pop rivets were 'fake', and didn't actually hold the windscreen in place.
                My 'solution' was to go back to the way it was originally designed, but with Lexan instead of glass.
                Could have left it sans stainless, but liked the idea of the stainless as a support ring to help keep things in place.
                But I had nothing to use, and sought out the premier Stude stainless guy...
                (since Dale McPherson retired and trained some punk kid to do the stuff)
                Matthew helped me with the pieces I needed.
                But the car is black... All the shiny stuff is black....
                Black, black, black..... I can't go back now...
                So... The trim is getting sanded and painted black.
                Thought about powder coat, but the pieces slip together so snug, powder-coat would probably mess up the fit.
                Even painting them loose and them reassembling will mess them up.
                So, they are getting prepped and painted in place.....Someday.
                I have been working so much, I haven't touched the car in almost a month.
                Jeff
                Got it, Jeff. I wasn't being critical of what you were doing; I just didn't understand it; i.e., what appeared to be acquiring newly-polished pieces if you intended to paint them. Now I see that while you did buy pieces that had been reworked by Matt, his rework did not include polishing.

Comprehende, now (a little Spanish lingo, there, as Rush would say....)

Anyway, that's interesting about the amount of flex in the center portion of the Lexan, and the need for the back brace. 'Didn't know it was that flexible....but I suppose that depends on the thickness, of course.

A cool-beans project, for sure. 'Will be good to see it out and about. Any chance of it "making" South Bend in a month? BP

Comment

That 'was' my original goal when the car was purchased...
                  Really wanted very badly to go run it at Osceola during the IM.... Real bad.
                  But... The economy has changed the focus, and since I am not yet of retirement age, I must continue my working career path.
                  And to add, since the powers that be have decided to screw the country up so bad....Even those plans have been pushed back.
                  So, 'The Black Car' has been progressing slower than expected, and has required a bit more prep than expected.
                  But that's OK.... I want it 'just so', and am not going to cut corners just to meet some deadline.
                  It is, after all, just a toy.
                  There are more important things in life....
                  But we'll get there......
                  Heck... Even South Bend is only 50-50 for me right now, and even that's just for a day or two...
                  Jeff

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  <snip>
                  A cool-beans project, for sure. 'Will be good to see it out and about. Any chance of it "making" South Bend in a month? BP

Jeff

Comment

Hello Jeff,
                    Do you have photos of your black '53? Maybe it's the computer I'm using, but clicking the red "x" dropdown and clicking "Show picture" doesn't bring results.

Comment

black luck

Comment

Grrrrr... Webshots shoots to kill...
                        Webshots has 14,000+ of my pic's.....
                        All in albums and linked to forums...
                        They sold out to 'Smile' (and there is no smile in 'Smile').....
                        Plonk! (GONE!)
                        Am in the slow process of rebuilding EVERYTHING.....
                        In the meantime... try Photobucket...
                        http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/
                        (be sure to click on 'all albums')

Let me know what you are interested in...
                        Pic's are not a problem
                        Jeff

Originally posted by Mark Crowel View Post
                        Hello Jeff,
                        Do you have photos of your black '53? Maybe it's the computer I'm using, but clicking the red "x" dropdown and clicking "Show picture" doesn't bring results.

Jeff

Comment

How about: "FrankenStude" or "PassinGas" ?
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Well, what is the name?...surely your have chosen by now???

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Mac View Post
                              Well, what is the name?...surely your have chosen by now???

Suprisingly..... Maybe.
                              I've kicked around a bunch of great idea's tossed my way....
                              Liked 'the look' of a few.
                              But I have pretty much settled on a name.....maybe.
                              (I am so wishy washy)

It's a name you ALL know.....
                              It fits the car.

Let me get the artwork done up for a management review...
                              When you see it, you'll either love it...or hate it
                              Jeff

Jeff

Comment

I know! It's gonna be called "The Black Car"! ...So yeah, we ALL know it!

Comment

Working...
                                X