Robert Wurtzel -- July 26, 1942 - March 28, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Wurtzel -- July 26, 1942 - March 28, 2012

Long time SDC member Robert Wurtzel just passed away last week. Bob was a teacher, the principal, and an all around School administrator who retired a few years back here in NJ. Over the years Bob had collected an impressive number of vehicles most of them being Studebakers. Bob's fascination with Studebakers pre dates the SDC formation when he acquired his father Sam's 1951 (Black Cherry) Land Cruiser.

Sometime in the mid '60's, Bob joined SDC. His first "National" was 1967: East McKeesport, PA, where he met another early SDC member who recently passed away, Marv Silverstein. Bob with his '51, and Marv with his '54. Together they would attend the first South Bend National in 1968 with the same cars. They also bought out a dealer (Dan Zeeman, North Bergen, NJ) inventory together and stored it at Bob's.

Bob was laid to rest at a private family gathering in Old Tennent Cemetery which surrounds Old Tennent Presbyterian Church which was used as a field hospital for the Battle of Monmouth (musket ball holes still in the woodwork); the turning point (in our favor) of the Revolutionary War here in NJ.

I am sure that his many friends here in NJ and SDC around the country will miss him.
    T442163
    Crisitel@oit.Rutgers.edu

Thanks for the post and I am sorry to read this. My condolences. It is doubly hard when it is these younger people that are passing.

In the 1960s-1970s, there was a little "gang/bunch" that hung around with and travelled with Marv. I spent a lot of time with them at Jerry's "Contemporary Classics" and at many SDC meets and activities.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
    X