Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Judging questions for 2012 National meet

  1. #1
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    231

    Judging questions for 2012 National meet

    Howdy all - I have questions that do not seem to be addressed in the SDC Judging Manual. I also searched for the info, but cannot find what I am looking for:

    1...Is there a time slot that is assigned as to when an entrant's car will be judged (say, within 30 minutes or a cell call made to the owner) so that you don't have to sit by your car for hours and not be able to enjoy the rest of the show?

    2...If you pay for the concours judging fee with the online registration or mailed registration form do you still have to appear before 5 PM on Wednesday to have your vehicle judged? Can you just show up at the appropriate time on Thursday if you prepay for judging or is there a seperate registration process involved? Is there a packet of info involved that requires attendance before the judging or can that be picked up on judging day?

    3...If an judging entrant can't stay for the banquet, are the judging sheets still mailed to the entrant?

    4...Are "actual" awards given out or is the judging sheet/point total considered the award?
    (Yes, I realize that the 1st, 2nd, etc. are based on a points system)

    5...Does the SDC or AOAI subscribe to the Junior/Senior car judging categories?

    6...Is the AOAI and SDC judging done seperately and all at the St. Joe Fairgrounds?

    7...Since I will be driving my car from Michigan, are there any recommended local facilities at which to clean the car prior to judging? What do you do?

    8...(perhaps controversial) Is there a benefit or disadvantage to having a 1963 Avanti judged by the AOAI or the SDC? Is the Avanti split into categories (Studebaker, Altman, etc.) by both clubs or are all Avantis judged as a cohesive group?

    I just got my 1963 Avanti R1 and am looking to establish a baseline for future improvements. Thanks for any information or comments, Bob

  2. #2
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Omaha, Ne. summer- Sun City,Az. winter
    Posts
    3,839
    1 No judging time slots in SDC. In the past you've had to be with your vehicle until judged. They will not try to locate you.
    2 If you preregistered you only have to be on the field Thursday at the appropriate time. Judging sheet and info will be in your registration packet you pick up at registration desk during the week.
    3 Don't know.
    4 Actual awards are given out.
    5 SDC no longer has senior/junior catagories.
    6 All judging is done at the fairgrounds
    7 Hose at your hotel or do it yourself car wash, in the past host hotels have had a car cleaning area. Best to pose this question on the Judging Forum further down on the Forum listings.
    8 Suggest you pose this question on judging Forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
    Howdy all - I have questions that do not seem to be addressed in the SDC Judging Manual. I also searched for the info, but cannot find what I am looking for:

    1...Is there a time slot that is assigned as to when an entrant's car will be judged (say, within 30 minutes or a cell call made to the owner) so that you don't have to sit by your car for hours and not be able to enjoy the rest of the show?

    2...If you pay for the concours judging fee with the online registration or mailed registration form do you still have to appear before 5 PM on Wednesday to have your vehicle judged? Can you just show up at the appropriate time on Thursday if you prepay for judging or is there a seperate registration process involved? Is there a packet of info involved that requires attendance before the judging or can that be picked up on judging day?

    3...If an judging entrant can't stay for the banquet, are the judging sheets still mailed to the entrant?

    4...Are "actual" awards given out or is the judging sheet/point total considered the award?
    (Yes, I realize that the 1st, 2nd, etc. are based on a points system)

    5...Does the SDC or AOAI subscribe to the Junior/Senior car judging categories?

    6...Is the AOAI and SDC judging done seperately and all at the St. Joe Fairgrounds?

    7...Since I will be driving my car from Michigan, are there any recommended local facilities at which to clean the car prior to judging? What do you do?

    8...(perhaps controversial) Is there a benefit or disadvantage to having a 1963 Avanti judged by the AOAI or the SDC? Is the Avanti split into categories (Studebaker, Altman, etc.) by both clubs or are all Avantis judged as a cohesive group?

    I just got my 1963 Avanti R1 and am looking to establish a baseline for future improvements. Thanks for any information or comments, Bob
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv. 259, Flightomatic
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Narvon, Pa.
    Posts
    1,102
    Bob, check your private messages.
    Jim

  4. #4
    President Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama.*******SDC member
    Posts
    3,379

    check out better ones

    Don't rely solely on judges to tell you how to better your car. Look at better ones than yours Ihey will be there}and talk with the owners.
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

  5. #5
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmijim8 View Post
    Don't rely solely on judges to tell you how to better your car. Look at better ones than yours Ihey will be there}and talk with the owners.
    Good idea - will do

  6. #6
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    206
    Bob,
    Just to clarify on the answers already here....Question number:

    1. There will be a PA at this year's Concours. It will be used to play music, and to let participants know where the judges are so they can be at their cars.
    2. You may put your car on the Concours on Wednesday night. There will be security all night.
    3. If you can't stay for the awards banquet, we will get your award to you. Please see me to make an arrangement.
    7. There will be a place to clean your car at the Fairgrounds. Bring your own items to clean your car. A hose and water is provided.

    If you have specific questions, please email me at rhenn15090@aol.com.

    Thanks
    Bob Henning
    Concours Chairman

  7. #7
    Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Posts
    11,059
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
    I just got my 1963 Avanti R1 and am looking to establish a baseline for future improvements. Thanks for any information or comments, Bob
    This might be tough. Rarely are the cars judged twice by the same judging team. In addition, they (we) are all volunteers, not expert judges. Some judges are pickier than others. Some look for different things than others. Some have more or less knowledge of the cars they are judging than others.

    Plus, it is essentially impossible to look at every detail of every car each and every time the cars are judged just due to time constraints. On the big classes, if the judge team spends more than 10 minutes per car, they will be working after dark to finish. Often, judges will either look for specific areas of each car in their class to judge OR look at the whole car, but just gig for what catches their eye at the time.

    You can get 380 points one time, fix all the gigs, and get 360 points the next time.

    Quite frankly, I see more angry, sad, disappointed folks that have their cars judged than happy ones.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA


  8. #8
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    14,422
    The best way to evaluate your car is to have someone that is "expert" on them go over your car with that pupose in mind. They can take the necessary time where the volunteer judges will not have that time and may not have the expertise, except for perhaps the judge doing authenticity.

    I have done this type of thing for many people/cars in the C/K class (also, some GT and Lark type).

    Second to that is to post several pictures (exterior/interior/engine/chassis) here and ask for us to pick the car apart (evaluate it). Many will not be critical unless you ask for that.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  9. #9
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    231
    Thanks, Guys, for your expertise. I continue to learn more of the Studebaker community as I post and continue to be impressed. I will try to post pics in the near future for online evluation as proposed by Studegary.

    Quite frankly, I see more angry, sad, disappointed folks that have their cars judged than happy ones.

    Howdy Dick - my Avanti is what it is and while with the former owner was judged at 371-394 points at various Studebaker concours shows in the past -so I will not be disapointed in judging. During my stewardship (yes, ownership is temporary) I want to make sure that the car is correct and doesn't deteriorate until it is passed on to the next lucky person.

    To: 1961 Lark Guy - thanks for the meet info as I was wondering about taking bathroom breaks and still having the car judged: the PA info will be most helpful.

    Cheers to all, Bob

  10. #10
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Endicott, NY, USA.
    Posts
    228
    Put me down as a happy camper. I've had my Speedster judged three times, probably by three different teams and the point spread was 6 points. Most, but certainly not all, of the deductions were valid, but for every point they got wrong, they completely missed something I knew about. I like the part where they put the judging sheets out after the banquet. Don't always agree, but I'm impressed at how close the numbers come out and I get a chance to see what caught their eye and fix it.

    And to repeat. The best thing you can do before you have a car judged at a show is to have someone that knows the class look your car over and tell you what he sees. Its like the old sock you have had drying on the mantle for the last five years and never noticed it.
    Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    This might be tough. Rarely are the cars judged twice by the same judging team. In addition, they (we) are all volunteers, not expert judges. Some judges are pickier than others. Some look for different things than others. Some have more or less knowledge of the cars they are judging than others.

    Plus, it is essentially impossible to look at every detail of every car each and every time the cars are judged just due to time constraints. On the big classes, if the judge team spends more than 10 minutes per car, they will be working after dark to finish. Often, judges will either look for specific areas of each car in their class to judge OR look at the whole car, but just gig for what catches their eye at the time.

    You can get 380 points one time, fix all the gigs, and get 360 points the next time.

    Quite frankly, I see more angry, sad, disappointed folks that have their cars judged than happy ones.

    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/coppermine/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •