Best patch panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Best patch panels?

Of the several sources, who has the best patch panels (floor & trunk deck lid)?
    I'm most interested in the fit/cost ratio, in the case of the floor panels it's a " driver" restoration so I don't care if it's an exact repro of original indentations etc. as long as it fits.
    The car (62 GT Hawk) has been following me around begging to be fixed since I bought it in the 70's - now resides in Wallace, Idaho - isn't it about time I took care of this??

Hello,

I have a 62 as well. I have seen some floor pans on ebay that I will probably go with. I think they are about $70 per side and $20 or so for shipping. You could go through the feedback list and find someone that has purchased pan and then email them for their feedback.
    Front Floor Pan: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-FLOOR-...41451006100760

Trunk floor pan: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350549526657

Comment

A BIG DOUBLE-WELCOME ...to the SDC FORUM to both you first time posters!!!

Comment

Welcome to the site both of you. Glad to have you here.

As to the patch panels, I do not think there are as many as you think. I believe some of the vendors are resellers of other manufacturers parts. I agree with 2r10jim, go with a combo of price vs feedback and take your shot.

Comment

A double welcome to you both. I make most of my own patch panels, but I have had really good luck with Classic Enterprise's products. I replaced a rocker panel on my Hawk a while back with a CE panel and it fit very well, nice thick metal. Haven't tried anyone else's, I checked the one cited on ebay and the feedback seemed to indicate there were generally a lot of fit and tweak problems, although you have to do that with even the best ones sometimes.

Comment

Have used panels from Classic and Carys Fab.As for across back below trunk Carys can't be beat. Trunk pans are similiar but Carys will make just what you need, same with floor. Both lead time about the same. Pictures on ebay looks like not exactly. David

Comment

Pay close attention to where your floors are rusted and how the repair panels are made. It is common for the edge of the floor pan to rust where it turns up join the kick panel. Mine also had some rust right next to where it turns up onto the tunnel. Based on the pictures I saw, the CE floor pans don't reach all the way to the tunnel and they don't turn up to the kick panel.

I decided to go with Carys Fab because he leaves extra material on both sides so your replacement panel will reach back to solid metal and then you trim off what you don't need.

Not trying to influence your decision, just a word of caution to pay close attention to what your car needs.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

I had good luck with CE panels. The fit was pretty good and they match the original floor nicely. I haven't tried the others..... Yet.....
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks to all. Good advice.
                  I actually was an SDC member previously for about 10 years into the 90's. The Hawk survived business failure, divorce, new career(s) etc etc and I am FINALLY getting things done. Feels good.
                  It's probably true there are only a couple or few outfits doing these but who knows? I do know CE gets top buck for theirs, so the question is " are they actually better" - some say they are. (?)
                  I'll report my experience.
                  Darrell

Comment

CE is very proud of their products. The input has been good though. I would call and ask any questions or concerns, like does the pan bend up to the tunnel etc, and see what they say, get the answers you need, then buy best price of those.

Comment

Does Cary Fab have a website?

Does Cary Fab have a website?

Comment

Don't think he has a site. I have always called. 804-561-3526 cell 804-241-5920 Leroy Cary is his name. David

Comment

As promised, a post as to what I did: I decided to go with Classic Enterprises due to concern about floor panel fit. The order was shipped within 24 hours and it arrived in 2 days! They look good; I will report again as job progresses.

Comment

i went with classic enterprises as well, quick shipping pretty good price. i have had to had to do significate trimming but it is going okay. ive got the passenger one done and will start on the drivers one on sunday hopefully (if the boss lady allows). does anybody have any pictures??

Comment

I used CE on my ’64 R2 Hawk, but would probably have gone with Cary if I had known about him. The reason is that with CE you get what they make, with Cary he will modify your floor pan to what you need. He makes everything pretty much by hand and the fit is pretty much exact. I had some rot up into the trans tunnel and had to take some extra metal to make up the gap from the CE panels. I have used CE inner fender kit and up thru ’62 it is right on, but due to changes in the heating system for ‘63/’64 the front panels need major mods to fit. Don’t get me wrong CE makes good stuff, just not a perfect fit for everything. It is good we have vendors like this, other clubs wish they had them!
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                              X