Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LOTS of new Studebaker owners Lately: welcome! Post Here

New to the SDC and Studebaker's. My wife has been begging me for a 1969 camaro, she finally sees its just a over priced fad like the Road runner, belair ext. So the mission to hunt for a over looked inexpensive rare car that we both like started a few years back and ended with the 1959 Silver Hawk. We found it in are local town paper just 20 miles away with a good title, and extra decent front and rear fenders. the guy even offered to drop it off. No motor trans drive shaft or keys.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rocket442; 06-30-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: pics removed for fastter loading

Blog Entries
    Awsome, Rocket! Looks like a good, solid example. I guarantee you'll be the only one with one of these among a sea of Tri-Five Chevys at whatever meets you go to!
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

President Member
    Good news, the cat likes it too! LOVE the car Rocket! A silver Hawk is on my want list for sure.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Nice '59 Hawk!, my wife wanted a muscle car, as well... she now likes the 58 Champion I brought home and thinks it's pretty cool looking car, best of luck on the Hawk!

Champion Member
    hello to all SDC members. I am a new member and I am fortunate to be able to travel to South bend for the 48th International meet. below is my short story to get onto the forum. I look forward to meeting many SDC members.

I am a South African and I live in the beautiful city of Durban

I remember Since I was about 7 years old my aunt’s late husband taking us for rides in his studebaker hawk.
    I remember the headlights piecing the darkness at night, the rumble of the V8 and the ground shake.
    I grew up dreaming about owning a Studebaker and restoring one some day.
    I always wanted a golden hawk but gold is easier to come.
    When I finished university and started working I put an advert in the Car magazine and within 6 months purchased my hawk in November 1988. It came from Port Shepstone, a seaside town about 2 hours from Durban and had a fair amount of rust. I was also de-registered.

I have had this car now for some 22 years. But like all stories in life it took me a long time to re-build. Career changes, getting married and adding two beautiful girls to the family was part of the fun. Finally the project was “completed” in 2009 when I had it officially licensed and was free to drive the vehicle legally. Completed is within inverted commas as I am still doing stuff on the vehicle. It is not in perfect condition and I don’t believe it will, but I saved it from a scrap heap and it is mine and I display it at “ Cars in the Park” events.

I have two friends nearby who share my passion. Rob is about 65 and he knows these cars inside out and often helps me with repairs. Recently we got the overdrive working. I am not a technical or mechanical person but like to get my hands greased from time to time.

I recently became a member of the STUDEBAKER CAR CLUB OF SOUTH AFRICA. But the only hassle is that they are 600 km away and this is not practical to join them for outings.
    I also recently joined the STUDEBAKER DRIVERS CLUB.

Lastly and the MOST IMPORTANT bit of information to share with you. - I have booked my ticket and accommodation – I am attending the 48th International Studebaker Meet in South Bend, Indiana. – I am gifted and privileged !!!.

As far as the forum is concerned I want to enquire about power steering conversions -_ remember we are right hand drive in South Africa. – this may be an old topic and someone should be able to help. I also want to look at the possibility of sourcing some spares – maybe a bolt on power steering system.

See the photo of my hawk and my other half.

I am sure you now are convinced.

Commander Member
    Hello all. I am a brand new SDCforum member and proud owner (for the past 9 days) -- 1951 Champion. I have some issues that i am trying to work through, the most troubling is my inexperience in this realm. I am a young member looking for help to learn about my new obsession. The newest issue is that upon arriving home on Saturday after a nice long ride is that the brake pedal was suddenly very soft. I didn't think too much of it as I suspected that maybe this was the first real miles this car has gotten in many years. However, later that night the brake pedal offered no resistance. Leaking under the car. I have read various threads on here and have concluded that the brake fluid is leaking, that it is not the silicone type but rather the alcohol type which removes paint -- i have been careful on that issue. I have talked to a mechanic who was prepared to inspect the vehicle and work on a starter issue which i have been battling without success. This mechanic does not work on brakes. His recommendation was to add brake fluid. DOT5.1 sounds appropriate from what I have read. I have ordered a shop manual but it has not arrived. I cannot find online any instructional information about where/how to add brake fluid.

Questions: Should I attempt to add brake fluid? How/where?

My thought is that I add brake fluid and drive it to a place that can evaluate the issue. It seems maybe that there is a leak and the levels/pressures have dropped to a point of being inoperable. Adding fluid may be a temporary fix and then fixing the leak the next issue. Truth be told, if I can get the brakes working I can then take it to the mechanic I know to address the starter issue then to a place to look at the brakes. If I could find a mechanic who could address all issues that would be better, but I can't reliably drive the car now because getting it started is a real chore.

Next Question: I am in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Does anyone know of a place in CR that would be good for studebaker work?

I am new to this and hope that my oversimplified questions won't be insulting. I essentially need to learn everything and any/all information I can get from the Forum will be most appreciated.

Tom

President Member
    krish,

welcome to the site! I'm sure that you'll find a lot of folks here more than happy to try to help you with your power steering issue. If you post a new thread on the topic in this forum, people with incomprehensibly large brains will swoop down and offer their suggestions.

Tom (tviner),

Welcome as well! Even though I've had Studebakers in my family all my life, I was really inexperienced with them until I started working on my Grandpa's Lark a few years ago. I give 95% of the credit for what I know about Studebakers to the people on this forum. They're an invaluable resource (even the cranky ones - which there aren't a lot of!).

As a rule of thumb, I think most people here recommend that even if you buy a new to you Stude in excellent condition that you still pull it into the garage and give it a thorough going-over. I just bought a '63 a few months ago that was in good driving condition, and even there I have about a dozen projects I need to address in the coming weeks ahead. As with the advise to krish, post a new thread about your issues with the brakes, and people will more than likely chime in with lots of great information. I will say one thing right now: unless you're doing a complete flush of your system and swapping out a bunch of moving parts, going to the new silicone-based DOT 5 fluid is a bad idea. DOT 3 is probably a lot closer to what's in your lines, and the two fluid types aren't compatible with each other.

If you haven't already, join the SDC as well. The magazine for members ("Turning Wheels") in itself makes it worth while, but there are a lot of other niceties included as well, not to mention the ability to officially join your local chapter. There are a few guys in my local chapter that have really gone the distance to helping me out, so I highly recommend it.

One last bit of advice: the masses here thrive off pictures. If you got 'em post em in a thread or go down to the "Members Studebakers" forum and post them in there.

Commander Member
    JimC:

Thanks for the tip -- I have posted a new thread.

I didn't realize 3 vs 5 meant silicone versus alcohol-type -- I thought the only diff in #s was how it acted under heat essentially. I will need to pick DOT3 then as I know I have non-silicone in there based on the color of the liquid.

Thanks for your thoughts and reassurance. I will contact the local SDC. THANKS.

Tviner

Commander Member studeillac1952's Avatar
    Hey y'all. Im not really new on here been talking and posting for a couple of months, but I for some reason I just saw this post. Just wanted to share my story with all of you guys. I bought a 1952 Studebaker Commander Hardtop (you can see some of the pictures in my profile area). I bought it from a local guy as it sat (the last picture) for $300 bucks, yes 300. He had some stuff come up and needed the cash. Most everything was there, i would say about 95% of the car. All it was missing was the radiator (getting one from a great guy on here, thank you dean!!) and a couple of the trim pieces. But honestly the car has been sitting for the past four years. On a sad note my younger brother was killed in an car crash in April of 2010, and I came upon a picture from Thanksgiving of 2008, of my brother and his son, about 1 or so at the time (he is 4 now) sitting in the front seat of the Studebaker all smiles. I came across the picture, in my soon to be brides search for good pictures for the wedding (11-11-12 is the date BTW), and found that picture. It sparked a desire to make the dream of saying I just own a Studebaker to showing up in person with that special car. Ive been rolling every monday morning and afternoon to get this tank on the road. For myself and for memories, and to make new smiles for my nephew. I just wanted to give you a little story on my story.
    And for all of the new people joining and sharing, these guys and gals on this forum cannot be beat. There is no such thing as a stupid question here (I've had a few I think), and they dont judge. Many different views coming together as one is awesome.
    Brad

Champion Member
    Greetings to all. I have been handed down a vehicle from my parents and knew this was place to get an education. I have been reading a lot of the information here and this seems like a really good group of people. I will update my profile but I am from Freedom WI and I am picking up my parents 47 M5 tomorrow. It is in pretty nice shape and almost everything is stock but from from the masterpieces some of you have restored. I am 40 but my young age has not given me much experience with vintage automobiles. I have a lot to learn and it is going to take a lot of questions to get there. I hope earn some trust from you and hopefully get some good advice.

Hank

Welcome to the forum Hank! Good to see another youngster (I am 43) on here. Congrats on your '47 M5! Post some pics!
    1961 Studebaker Hawk

Champion Member
    Hi all, I just started my first studebaker project, a 46 M16-52 1.5 ton truck, and was hoping someone would know of people with 46 M series trucks somewhere on the east coast. I live in maryland and will travel, I really need to find some decent/repairable doors. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Barnyard, welcome to the Forum! Congrats on your first Stude - you couldn't have picked a more straightforward piece of machinery

We have a lot of members on the East Coast - I'm sure someone will have suggestions on where to obtain some suitable doors. If you don't get responses here, be sure to post a "wanted" thread in the General board.

Again, welcome!
    Clark in San Diego

Champion Member
    I am a new member and owner of 1950 Champion in very good shape and not running yet, so I have many questions and hopefully can get some help. First this car is very very original and in good shape and would like to keep it that way if possibe. I am certain that rear axle has problems and need to know where I can get rear end parts. While I want to keep it as original as posible I would like to get a little better performance out of the flat head. Does anyone know if any performance products for this engine is being made and by who. I would also like to know if a supercharger was made for the flathead and if any are available. I have also found a 56 station wagon and considering that as well. Are the wagons rare.

Blog Entries
    Welcome! All Studes are rare (by comparison to the Big Three), but the '56 wagons are a bit rarer than most. They have lots of one-year exterior trim bits that make them different from their predecessors or successors. Beautiful cars!

As far as performance part for the flatties, yes! Bill Cathcart is well-known as a flathead performance guru, but I believe he's retired recently. Some other members here might know how to contact him or where else to source from.
    Clark in San Diego

Champion Member
    Well, I am not new to Studebaker, but I am new to the forum, so I guess I should sign in. I have a 1959 Silver Hawk that I bought in 1984 and have enjoyed ever since.

Ward

Blog Entries
    Awesome! Welcome to the Forum, Ward!
    Clark in San Diego

Champion Member
    Hi, I am not a studebaker owner rather a studebaker care taker. I have recently been recruted to help maintain my grandmothers 57 Silverhawk. You guys seem to be a knowledgable bunch and am glad I found this site. I have mechanical experience but since im 25 I havent had much contact with sudebakers other than this car. Thought I would say hi and show off the car
    Last edited by Carlb87; 07-13-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Champion Member
    I am also new to the forum, I did belong several years ago when i first got my53 coupe, I am now retired so i have the time to finish my car. Joe

Blog Entries
    CarlB: First of all, that is a spectacular Silver Hawk! Is your grandma the original owner? Tell us more about that beauty!

Joe: Good to have you here. It's good that you've got the time to get to your car now. Welcome!

Champion Member
    Thank you! No she is not the origonal owner, she picked it up in the early 2000's. She's always has loved cars. after my Grandfather passed she bought 3 classics, the 57 hawk, 66 impala and a 64 t-bird. she has the impala and the hawk still. The car is pretty much original from what i can tell, exept for a tach, guage pod and the paint, it has defenantly been repainted at some point my guess would be in the 70's or 80's as there is quite a bit of wear in the paint(not noticable in the picture but upclose in person it is). It has the 289 with an auto trans. heres a pic of the interior. If theres anything particular you would like to know let me know and ill try and figure it out.

Champion Member
    New guy here. I just acquired a 1951 Champion project car.So I have a ways to go before I will be driving. it is a plain jane 4 door with a flathead 6 cylinder and a 3 speed with Overdrive.

Commander Member
    What's the story? Pictures?

Congrats and welcome.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Forum, guys!
    Clark in San Diego

Guess I didn't post here so its about time. Joined a couple months ago. Not a new stude owner have had a 58 sliverhawk for about 28 yrs. been sitting waiting to be street rodded all those years. Now that I'am semi retired and doing at home restoration work I hope to get it done. About to pick up a 64 GT Hawk and I've only waited for one from the time I was 17 yrs old and I'am now 62 you do the math. Hope to find a way to post pictures on here as I do the frame off restoration.Hi to everyone.
    Last edited by swvalcon; 08-18-2012 at 08:41 AM.

President Member
    Welcome Steve. Sounds like fun having time to work on your own vehicles instead of everyone else's.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Champion Member
    I may not be a new owner, but is there anyone who would like to be a new owner of a 1963 Studebaker Lark?? I'm trying to sell mine to someone passionate about it!

Well let me start off by saying I love old cars, Studebakers being one of them.
    Am currently redoing a 46 Cadillac right now and still own a 66 t-bird ….sorry no stude at this time …..
    But my father in-law who is “computer deficient” as just got himself a 1964 commander, his father and brother built them when they all lived in South Bend.
    He now lives in Alabama
    I am a 30 year exp auto tech and have done a fare amount of customizing so I will be the one to do the work on this car.
    With all that being said, I need your help in getting his commander the way he likes it.
    And after reading a bunch of the threads on here, I think I came to the right place
    There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this sight.
    Thanks RussK

Blog Entries
    Russ, welcome to the Forum! Don't worry - you don't have to own one to love them (which I'm betting you will after you've spent some time with that Commander!). We're glad to have you here. Ask all the questions you like - as you say, there's a wealth of knowledge here
    Clark in San Diego

Hello all! My wife and I just got a killer deal on this 62' Lark! We got it from a family friend. I don't konw much about these cars at all so this is why I'm here! It's been repainted, was originally white and interior has been redone. It needs a tune up and new water pump but those things wont be hard at all to do. I'm lookin into putting some new wheels on it and lowering the front end about 2". Only thing I need to konw right off hand though is what brand and weight oil do you guys suggest? V8 259
    Last edited by 62studey; 08-13-2012 at 02:06 AM.

New to forum

Greetings all, I am not new to Studebakers, but I am new to this forum. I have been lurking for quite a while and finally decided to make the plunge. I got my first Studebaker in 1979 (a '48 Commander Starlight Coupe) and I still have it. It is very solid and complete and of course needs a complete restoration. I will get to it one of these days Last year I completed my 10th year of a 2 year restoration project and my 1937 Dictator is finally on the road. I restored it as a driver, not a show car, and it has been a lot of fun so far. I added a 1963 Avanti to my fleet this year and it just needs a few little things, like paint, rebuild engine, and assembly. I also have a few little British cars that keep me busy.
    George Cagle
    North Alabama Chapter

1937 Dictator
    1947 M5
    1948 Commander
    1963 Avanti

Blog Entries
    Glad to have you on the Forum, George! Post some pix when you get a chance, and welcome!
    Clark in San Diego

A Couple of pics of my '37 Dictator

The color of my Dictator is California Grapetone Maroon. The hard part of the paint job was getting the Crape Myrtles to match
    George Cagle
    North Alabama Chapter

1937 Dictator
    1947 M5
    1948 Commander
    1963 Avanti

President Member
    wassamatter, George? Not any paint left over for the crape myrtles?

oh, duh, beautiful car!!
    \'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGlasscock View Post
    beautiful car!!
    I agree! Probably my favorite pre-war year
    Clark in San Diego

Speedster Member Gold Hawk Doug's Avatar

New owner!

Hello everyone! I am the proud new owner of a 1957 Golden Hawk. My wife and I won it at the hot August nights auction last Saturday. It is 100% original condition. I put at 95 out of 100 points. And seems to have every option available for this model.

Perhaps some of you may know this car. A gentleman from Vacaville California sold it.

After going over the car for last few days I can't find hardly anything to complain about. It is a rare white with gold and red trim and interior. I will try to post up a couple of photos.

I do have one question, what does the small TT badge on the rear deck stand for? I have searched the Internet for several days and I'm not found out anything about it.

I'm really amazed to find so many other owners around the world, and such a broad knowledge base about these cars.

I have already joined the local Studebaker club as well as as the SDC. My wife and I plan to go to as many club events as possible, and look forward to meeting as many of you as we can.

Here's the happy motoring, Studebaker style!

Doug

Welcome aboard, Doug!

Beautiful car!

TT stands for Twin Traction, which was Studebaker's name for positive traction.

Dave Lester

President Member Swiss-Goldenhawk's Avatar
    Also a welcome from Switzerland.

Very nice car.

Champion Member
    Hi all. I just joined the Studebaker Drivers Club. I acquired a 1960 Lark VIII station wagon in rather rough shape. The motor runs with a howling water pump, it has a broken front spring and the PO was a scammer that made a few enemies and one of them smashed the glass out of 3 sides, including the windshield. Basically I saved it from being scrapped. The main objective right now is to find a windshield that costs less than the purchase price of the car. So if anyone has a good used windshield or knows of a source for a new one close to the Cincinnati/Dayton area I'd really appreciate a heads up. Thanks and hope to see you on the road.

The rear window I found on Ebay.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/2done View Post
    Hi all. I just joined the Studebaker Drivers Club. I acquired a 1960 Lark VIII station wagon in rather rough shape. The motor runs with a howling water pump, it has a broken front spring and the PO was a scammer that made a few enemies and one of them smashed the glass out of 3 sides, including the windshield. Basically I saved it from being scrapped. The main objective right now is to find a windshield that costs less than the purchase price of the car. So if anyone has a good used windshield or knows of a source for a new one close to the Cincinnati/Dayton area I'd really appreciate a heads up. Thanks and hope to see you on the road.

The rear window I found on Ebay.
    If you haven't found front glass yet, drop me a line through the forum's private messaging system. I have an extra piece. I have no clue what shipping would be on that, but if you're interested, I'll go look it up.