Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LOTS of new Studebaker owners Lately: welcome! Post Here

Champion Member
    Hi All,

Mike here with a 50 Champion. This will be my youngest's first car - her sister drives a 53 Chevy truck. The Champ has a 59 engine, newer interior, and fresh but sketchy paint. The car is very solid and hasn't been messed with too much. I've replaced window tracks, lubed door latches, rebuilt the carb, and attended to other minor stuff. Getting ready to replace the wiring and change to 12v negative ground and upgrade brakes to front disc/split system. All that with a good lube job and seatbelts/shoulder harnesses and we'll be set for a while. Oops - almost forgot the all-important stereo! Here's a little something I learned with our oldest. Poor thing, her first car was a Dodge Colt. Even though we had the obligatory oil or temp light talk, she drove the car til it quit after the oil light illuminated. After fixing the car I added a feature that was fine-tuned to the mind of a teenager. If either the oil or temp light came on the new system would first kill power to the stereo, then activate a VERY annoying beeper/buzzer. It worked.
    I look forward to making some friends and tapping into the wealth of knowledge here. Hopefully, I can help out someone else, too!

Mike

Mike - welcome to the place! Glad to have another new Stude owner here. We are really loving the younger members driving these cars! How old is your youngest girl?

That stereo interrupt feature is priceless You oughta patent that
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Champion Member
    My little one just turned 16 and this museum piece is what she wants to drive. Fine with me!

Mike

Where in Oklahoma are you, Mike?

Dave Lester

Speedster Member nwi-region-rat's Avatar

Cool Stude-Stalker

Hello out there....Not an owner yet...more of a Stude-Stalker.....Short story, was looking for a flat bed for a work truck, not a full time gig, just something convenient. Tired of having to borrow or worse yet rent a bigger truck. Saw a sweet mid 50's flat bed, that looked real good, but I didn't know enough about them at the time to make the RIGHT decision....passed it up, and now am regretting it. So, since I have some time to learn and worship the wonder of South Bend....I'm planning on going to South Bend this year, and dive into the pride of Indiana. What I am casually looking for is a nice solid truck, flat bed with at least a 12 foot bed....saw one with a hydro dump....that would be perfect. Not sitting on a pile of cash, and the mason jars are just full of coins now....so I'm not in a hurry, but I have some long term projects that the truck of my dreams will be useful for. Next two years or so I would like to be an owner. Looking thru threads now, for trucks, Champions and trains....Anyone out there have pictures of the Studebaker Rail equipment? I have a few I could share but not sure where it would fit in.

Well what can I say....I am fresh meat to the whole Stude world. Blessed with a good wife that bought me a 1941 Champion Custom Deluxe for Christmas. I retired from the military in October and commenced to drive her nuts. Car was meant to keep me occupied and out of her hair, now it has become a family affair. Thank you for the welcome and look forward to learning all I can while completing my Off-Frame Restoration of my new old baby.

John
    Fresh Meat

Welcome to the Forum, guys!
    Clark in San Diego

Champion Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    From the photos, it appears to be a '57, going by the grille and the 15" wheels.

Craig
    Hi Craig.
    here are the numbers:

57Hk7 1062 under hood

PS2163 on engine

6101131 under door hinge

i'll post pictures of the car i did pick up,which was not the same anymore as the one on the "before pictures"....

Champion Member

Unhappy dream on...

here 's what i got...
    so far: the engine seems to have been rebuilt,but was it done the right way???
    the blower is shot: there was water inside it
    the upholstery has been done using low cost material is good for a total replacement
    brakes are non existent
    some chrome parts are missing on the front end
    etc...
    body is ok.
    MS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE DRUNKSKUNK View Post
    Hi Craig.
    here are the numbers:

57Hk7 1062 under hood

PS2163 on engine

6101131 under door hinge
    It is worth spending the $25.00 USD to order the build sheet for your car from the Studebaker National Museum. That tells you a lot about your car, and where it was sold new.

Craig

Champion Member
    Dave,

I'm in Owasso.

Mike

Champion Member
    I'm also one of the newbies you are referring to. I recently bought my 1955 Commander Sedan with Ultra-Vista windshield. This car runs so good that people have started to ask me what happened to my other classic car (1958 Plymouth Fury) because they always see me driving the Studebaker. Unlike the Plymouth which has power steering and brakes, the Stude has none of these amenities but it's still such a joy to drive. This is my first Studebaker and has truly made me a believer of the quality and durability of these cars. I hope to add more Studebakers to my stable as time and money allows.

Champion Member
    Guess it's time to say hello. Name is Robert, I live in the Salt Lake City area. I recently bought a 61 Lark VI which runs great but looks not so great. Working on getting it into the paint shop soon!! This is my first Stude and I must say I am happily surprised about all the online resources for these wonderful cars. Only thing I'm having a hard time finding is a front parking brake cable, other than that, getting all the parts needed to get this car looking and running good again has been a breeze! My 5 and 7 year old daughters absolutely love the car and hit me up for a ride almost every day!

I'm hoping to make it out to Colorado Springs next year to mingle with other Studebaker lovers, as well as enjoy all the fantastic cars!

Hey Robert, and welcome to the Forum! Looks aren't everything (as my wife affectionately tells me ) - what matters is that it runs and stops! Sounds like you've already got the hard part done.

Re: the cable, there are lots of StudeVendors to help you out. Check here: http://www.studebakervendors.com/ ... or maybe someone here will have a lead on that cable.
    Clark in San Diego

Commander Member
    Newbie here, hello all

have a 1960 Hawk I'm restoring.

Commander Member
    which Stud model is this?
    was it sold in the usa?

Adolph, welcome to the Forum. I don't see a photo - did you mean to post one?

If you're asking whether Haws were sold in the US, absolutely
    Clark in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by therob View Post
    Only thing I'm having a hard time finding is a front parking brake cable,
    Robert, PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by therob View Post
    front parking brake cable,
    Try George Martin; makes the cable you need.
    1510 King St.
    Lebanon, PA 17042
    (717) 273-9502

Studebaker was long gone by the time I was born, and I had never even seen one until 2009 when my Grandmother-in-law was looking to sell hers. We were visiting her in Missouri and I went out to the garage just to look at it and when I opened the door it just took my breath away. I remember my heart pounding and all I could think was "I can't let her sell this to anybody but me!". I guess you could say it was love at first sight. She was so thrilled that I was excited about it that she sold it to me for $1. She was still driving it at the age of 86, I honor her by naming it "Dorothy" or "Dot" after her. She will be coming to visit in two weeks. That means I need to get the detailing done soon! I know she will want to ride in it.
    1961 Studebaker Hawk

Hi everyone, I'm not an owner yet, but I'm close. My cousin offered to give me, yes give me his 57 Silver Hawk. It's a little rough now and hasn't run in about 5 years, but it's all there and original. I believe it is restorable. I've been looking at these beauties for over 30 years and always wanted one. I'm doing a little research here before I commit. What am I in for if I say yes?

Thanks,
    Tony (Dudorino)
    1957 Silver Hawk. Located in Elkhorn, NE.

President Member Swiss-Goldenhawk's Avatar

Smile

Hi everybody, my name is Rudy and I recently joined the SDC Forum. I am a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club since 2011.

I own a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk with supercharged engine.
    It was delivered to Switzerland equipped with a metric speedometer, Flight-o-Matic automatic transmission, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Windows, Power Seats, tinted glass, HD shocks front and rear, Twin Traction, clock, radio and headlamps less sealed beam units. The color of the car is Coppertone Metallic with Arctic White fins.
    The interior is made of red/white fabric and leather.
    I bought the car in the 80s and restored it a long time.

Kind regards from the mountainous country Switzerland. Rudy

Last edited by Swiss-Goldenhawk; 05-09-2012 at 05:17 AM.

Champion Member
    I have a 61 hawk and a close family friend showed me it at the time i had know idea about this car. I knew some about
    Studebaker's beacuse i used to race with Jack Chisnals' kid at hckc,therfore i knew about his land speed studebaker. I am acutally attending the Vintage Air car show this saturday in San Antonio, TX.

one thing about the car is that it dose not have the original steering wheel so do any of yal know were i can get one or are any of yal selling one?

Hello Travis,

There is a NOS 1961 Studebaker Hawk brown steering wheel on auction.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUDEBAKER-H...f4e667&vxp=mtr

Sometimes there are new old stock steering wheels on Ebay or another forum member may help you.

Welcome new members!

Rudy, that's a gorgeous Hawk! It really look spectacular inside and out! Beautiful job.

Tom, if you look at Rudy's car, you can see what you're in for Restoring a Studebaker is no different than any other old car, with the possible exception that you might find the community friendlier and more helpful, and the parts availability greater

Kid Hawk, welcome to the Forum!
    Clark in San Diego

Hello together, hello Clark,

Thank you for your kind words about my 57 Golden Hawk. There are two other 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk in Switzerland that I am aware of.
    http://pjmeier.ch/studebaker-golden-hawk/foto

I met the Tiara Gold Studebaker Golden Hawk at a meeting in Switzerland.

Happy Studebakering.

Rudy

Quote Originally Posted by (S) View Post
    new guys, (post here)
    Hello Everyone!

New member here. But I was a member of the national club back in the early 90s. a bit about myself: The first car I ever really loved was a 1961 Studebaker Silver Hawk. I bought it back while I was a student at UCLA. Bought her from the original owner in Glendale. I drove her everywhere as my daily driver for 4 years: Joshua Tree. San Francisco. Palm Springs. Everywhere. Such an amazing car. But a time came (now in grad school at UCLA, putting myself through film school) money was tight, so I had to sell the car to make my thesis film. It was a sad day, and while I have restored half a dozen classic cars since then, mostly 50's caddies, nothing compared. So I decided stop messing around and not restore anything else until I got Hawk.

Well, that day has finally come. Earlier this week I won an eBay auction that will be bringing this beauty up from the back roads of Kentucky to my loving arms on Lake Ontario. Here is the ad as i dont see a way to upload images

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1099

Looks like a beautiful ride - a welcome addition to anyone's garage! Glad to have you back in the Stude fold and joining us here!
    Clark in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by modernpinups View Post
    Hello Everyone!

New member here. But I was a member of the national club back in the early 90s. a bit about myself: The first car I ever really loved was a 1961 Studebaker Silver Hawk. I bought it back while I was a student at UCLA. Bought her from the original owner in Glendale. I drove her everywhere as my daily driver for 4 years: Joshua Tree. San Francisco. Palm Springs. Everywhere. Such an amazing car. But a time came (now in grad school at UCLA, putting myself through film school) money was tight, so I had to sell the car to make my thesis film. It was a sad day, and while I have restored half a dozen classic cars since then, mostly 50's caddies, nothing compared. So I decided stop messing around and not restore anything else until I got Hawk.

Well, that day has finally come. Earlier this week I won an eBay auction that will be bringing this beauty up from the back roads of Kentucky to my loving arms on Lake Ontario. Here is the ad as i dont see a way to upload images

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1099
    For that price it looks like you got a really good deal!!! Congrats!!
    1961 Studebaker Hawk

58 Champion In Benito Manitoba

Well Guess I'm another "New" Studebaker owner and very proud to claim it, just bought home a 58 Champion 4dr, been parked for almost 40 years, 2 owners and in need of some loving, which I will gladly "we" give it, my 5 yr old son is pretty also proud we have a "Stud-a-Baker" in our garage and tells everyone about this car, in this photo is the fellow that owned the car since 1961, he so kindly gave the car to us, as he feels he is getting on in years, many thanks to him for trusting me with this amazing piece of auto history. I've restored 58 Edsel,64 Pontiac and a 59 Ford, so this is my 1st Studebaker...., but I'm hooked already such a cool set of wheels and I'm looking forward to meeting fellow Studebaker fans, Cheers-RJ

President Member
    Welcome to the list RJ, what a lovely car. All the best with it. You'll make the forum members jealous as we are often described as CASO (Cheap Ass Studebaker Owners) due to wanting things cheaper and having cars which are cheap to purchase, can't beat a free car.
    John Clements
    Aussie Cat Herder
    Lockleys South Australia

Hi John, yes Free is nice.. maybe a little scary, as I feel I've been handed a important piece of history and I really want to do it justice etc

Cheers From Manitoba Canada

Speedster Member
    Hey there! This is a great thread.... enjoying reading about all these folks and their love for their Studes. :-) I'm a new-ish member, joined in Sept. of last year. We bought our 60 Lark hardtop in a pile of rusty pieces and brought her back to life. Gonna finish up the interior this weekend, have the last of the engine parts on their way and then she's going to be back on the road again as my daily driver. We've met some really great local members here and are really enjoying this club and the people.

Would love to know if there are other folks close to where we are in Red Bluff CA.

Hey, 60 Lark, Nice!! ya this is great, they are amazing cars, my 5 year old is pretty pumped about it, and tells everyone, we have a "stooo-da-baker" and him and his Daddy are gonna fix it up, sooo cute , this is a great forum and it's awesome we have a 3 country tread going on this one alone, Cheers from sunny Manitoba

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm not an owner yet, but I'm close. My cousin offered to give me, yes give me his 57 Silver Hawk. It's a little rough now and hasn't run in about 5 years, but it's all there and original. I believe it is restorable. I've been looking at these beauties for over 30 years and always wanted one. I'm doing a little research here before I commit. What am I in for if I say yes?

Thanks,
    Tony (Dudorino)
    Hi Tony--I didn't see that anyone ever replied to your post! That's very unlike us. Welcome.

In answer to your question, the main problem area with these cars is rust--but there are reasonably-priced repair panels available through vendors to repair those. The drive trains are really solid on these cars and from reading the adventures on this forum many can be brought back from the dead with a little effort. My little champion 6 cylinder had sat for at least a decade and was brought back to life without much effort--so it can be done.

If you're doing the work yourself (which is the bulk of the fun) the one bit of advice I can give is that you're going to need a bit of space. Once you tear into a car you'll find that any available garage space rapidly disappears. A lot will depend on the condition of course.

Post up some pics if you can and let us know a little bit more about the car.

Here's a great article about how to get that Stude back up and running safely:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_things2do.asp

One last thing--one of the best things you can do is join the Studebaker Drivers Club (it is inexpensive) and then get to know the folks in your local chapter--they're a great resource and I'm sure they'd welcome you as warmly as my local chapter have me.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Champion Member

Looking for Studebaker contacts- parts, Eureka CA area

We are in Ferndale, CA. My daughter (15) purchased a 1966 Stude Commander...in original condition- runs great! We are getting the power steering unit installed (parts were with the car, not installed) as part of her 16th birthday present, along with a few small repairs/upgrades. I need some help on trying to figure ot what type of radio/stereo and speakers to purchase...the radio/stereo will be installed in the glove box. I need some help finding local Studebaker people - in the Eureka, CA area... the gas gague is not working and we may need to locate some parts... does anyone have contacts that could help?
    Thank you!

Speedster Member

New to Studebaker

I just bought a 2R16 truck, 1949 vintage. Waiting on delivery.

Here is a link to the ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I realize that the link won't work forever, so here a a few pics from the auction

New to Studebakers and new to club, just recieved my 36 Studebaker Dictator yesterday. She is a beauty, can't wait to get tags on her and go cruising. She came with a Studebaker Drivers Club Decal in the window so I had join.
    Last edited by ClintsToys; 06-02-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Welcome everyone! It's so cool to see new folks posting, and joining the Studebaker family!
    ChicoRonda, Lynn, CruisinSusin, ClintsToys, glad to have you in the family.

ChicoRonda, very cool that your daughter is getting such a cool first car! As you probably already know, the engine is a Chevy, so parts and service are easy. I'm not sure who's here in Eureka, but I know we've got members in and around Redding, so there's got to be some resources - certainly the guys will ring in.
    Clark in San Diego

Champion Member
    hi i am a newbie to the forum and SDC although have read dad's turning wheels all of my life.I have had stude's since i got my licence20yrs ago and believe that it is a disease.I have 9,my brother has 5 and dad has 10.we are all workin hard trying to get as many as possible to the next australian national meet in Newcastle next easter.