Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: LOTS of new Studebaker owners Lately: welcome! Post Here

Hi Folks,
    I'm new to the site and thought I'd say hi. I am knee deep in the restoration of a '37 Coupe Express that was purchased new by my grandfather. It was a real-life farm truck (I have some awesome pictures of it in the mid '40s loaded with hay) but managed to survive complete and largely unmolested. Another family member got it for a couple years and unfortunately started tearing it apart. He became overwhelmed, and thankfully turned it over to me to put it back together. My avatar is a pic of the truck in '61. I've built several cars over the years but this is my first Stude restoration. Thanks in advance for the advice that I'll undoubtedly need.
    Darin Puryear
    Seattle, WA

1937 Coupe Express

Hello all!

I'm new to the Stude Club, as I purchased my first one just this past month. I'm now the proud owner of a '59 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal.

I'm 37 years old, and given this is my first Stude (I'm also now in possession of a second non-operable parts car) and I'm a novice in mechanics, any and all pointers and tips are greatly appreciated. Thankfully, the previous owner is a real stand-up guy and kept the car in great shape so it's currently trouble-free. Hoping to keep it that way!

Attached are a few snaps of my new sweetheart.

Thanks much,
    Ronnie in Portland

00J0J_glOQiPlKFob_600x450.jpg 00z0z_g121rZCoFG3_600x450.jpg
    Last edited by severalsins; 03-26-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    Ronnie | Portland, OR

1959 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal (Hardtop)

Champion Member
    First post. My parents gave me a'46 M5 last fall. I have really enjoyed working on it this winter ( keeps me off of the couch) My Dad bought the truck in 1966 (the year I was born) as a "second" vehicle. It has been sitting idle in their barn since 1978.
    I've got it down to the cab and frame right now, with the motor off to the machine shop for a rebuild . Going to keep it mostly original, right down to the paint (patina right?)KIMG1900.jpg

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Ronnie,
    Welcome to the SDC Forum. I had been watching that car on Craigslist and was really tempted to snatch it up. I am so glad you purchased it and have joined the Forum. If you have not done so already, you should join the SDC. Your membership works both ways and you will find it a real source of sound information and inspiration. You will also really enjoy our club magazine which has won many awards and is one of the best out there.
    Since you are in Portland I would also encourage you to join the local Northwest Chapter of the SDC. We have a very active club with some extremely knowledgeable members. We have a local parts guy that know more about Studebakers than any of the rest of us could hope to learn. We have several other members who are great sources for parts and information. We even have a terrific mechanic who is a wealth of information. We have a busy schedule each year with lots of shows, tours, and other activities. We also host the local Orphan Car show each year which is in a beautiful park setting down by the river and is always well attended.
    If you need help or advice, this forum is also one of the most active you will likely ever find. We have members who actually worked for Studebaker, yes there are still some around.
    So, welcome, and I hope to meet you at a local SDC Northwest Chapter Event.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Blog Entries
    Welcome indeed! Always nice to see the pre-'50s rides coming back to life
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    Ronnie,
    Welcome to the SDC Forum. I had been watching that car on Craigslist and was really tempted to snatch it up. I am so glad you purchased it and have joined the Forum. If you have not done so already, you should join the SDC. Your membership works both ways and you will find it a real source of sound information and inspiration. You will also really enjoy our club magazine which has won many awards and is one of the best out there.
    Since you are in Portland I would also encourage you to join the local Northwest Chapter of the SDC. We have a very active club with some extremely knowledgeable members. We have a local parts guy that know more about Studebakers than any of the rest of us could hope to learn. We have several other members who are great sources for parts and information. We even have a terrific mechanic who is a wealth of information. We have a busy schedule each year with lots of shows, tours, and other activities. We also host the local Orphan Car show each year which is in a beautiful park setting down by the river and is always well attended.
    If you need help or advice, this forum is also one of the most active you will likely ever find. We have members who actually worked for Studebaker, yes there are still some around.
    So, welcome, and I hope to meet you at a local SDC Northwest Chapter Event.
    Thanks very much, Ed! I joined the SDC the week after I bought the car and received my membership card already, it seems like a really valuable resource and I'm proud to have joined. I'm planning on attending an upcoming Northwest Chapter meeting in April, as I unfortunately have a conflicting commitment during tomorrow's. I look forward to meeting you and the crew! Thanks for the welcoming.
    Ronnie | Portland, OR

1959 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal (Hardtop)

Champion Member
    I have a 1925 Studebaker duplex phaton for sale. Very clean beautiful car. Where's the best place to list it? 210 289 4331
    026AB225-7940-4F87-B50B-4197E61BF10A.jpgA22EABFC-97DE-4A6B-B129-6F5EDB45A443.jpg8CDEF219-EDAE-4634-AFA8-B642E39D2EC7.jpg
    Last edited by Myitsmandy; 03-29-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Champion Member
    Looking to sell my 1925 Studebaker Duplex Phaton. Can anyone help me out? Call 210 289 4331
    8D6EAC09-8014-4378-9036-B9B7969F0008.jpg6DF306ED-58E1-4C9E-B577-3569996E750F.jpg5D8D3F3D-0953-43FE-9878-B68C283F2A12.jpg

Thumbs up

Welcome Amanda!

SDC Members get free Ads in the World Wide distributed, Monthly SDC Publication "Turning Wheels" (now in Full Color), there are wanted and For Sale Cars and Parts there.

You will find Membership Info from the Home Page.

This Page is also available:

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

That IS a beautiful Stude. good luck with it.
    We always prefer owners and especially long term family owners, KEEP their Studebakers, but I understand that is not always possible.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Commander Member
    Hi everyone! I don't own a Studebaker or any other classic car for that matter. Having said that, I'm interested in Studebaker and find them amazingly unique. As a Hoosier, I find them attractive because they were headquartered and manufactured here. I'm especially attracted to the Brooks Stevens redesign of the Lark in 1964 and find them very handsome cars. I plan to join the SDC and perhaps the local Indy chapter.

Speedster Member
    Hi everyone, I'm another new member. Recently picked up a 1962 Hawk. Appears to not have run in a very long time. Needs a lot of work, but it has good bones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champion Member
    Hi Gents/Gals,
    New owner of a 1964 Challenger, I have been reading a lot of posts on it here and with other resources, I have found that it was originally optioned as a 6 cyl car. What resides in it now is a Chevy 350 crate motor coupled to a 4 speed saginaw transmission and a GM rear end. It also has a custom formed dash but included in the sale is a complete re-upholstered interior and another dash with new gauges that I would need to install. I am kinda digging the dash that's in it but I have the choice to convert it back when I want.

It's a fun car to drive but it need attention on the window regulators, all cat whisker as well as window channels replaced. It also need weatherstripping around all the doors replaced so I will be getting those items ordered within the next week. I know that I will have plenty of questions to post so I hope not to ruin my welcome asking questions that could easily be found by searching the forums. Here are a few pictures for you viewing enjoyment.

Regards

Bill

1964 Studebaker Challenger.jpg
    1964 Studebaker Challenger drivers side.jpg
    1964 Studebaker Challenger passenger side.jpg
    1964 Studebaker Challenger engine#2.jpg
    1964 Studebake Challenger dash.jpg

Commander Member
    Very cool! Like what you did with that! From what late model did you get the seats?

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneDog View Post
    Very cool! Like what you did with that! From what late model did you get the seats?
    That was the way that I received it, not sure what car it came out of but I am going to install the interior I got in the sale down the road which I believe is the original seats but just recovered by a local upholstery shop.

20180410_150354.jpg
    20180410_150358.jpg

Champion Member
    Hi. New member here. Just picked up a 1940 Champion 2 door sedan. Already been hot-rodded with a mustang II style front suspension and disc brakes and a chevy rear end. A lot of the work has been done and a lot to go and be redone to my standards. Worked in the auto body industry for 40 years and have restored several cars over the years, this will be the oldest so far as well as my first street rod. No engine or trans presently in the car, came with an "optional" 283 chevy which I passed on. See too many hot rods with a sbc. I have a 330 olds I plan to use 1) because I have it already and 2) it's not another sbc!. Main item I need first is a set of glass and the gaskets for them. Found sets on line just under 1k and a few hundred for the seals. Other than that, I find few parts available for this model, but it was a real good deal so I'm going to make something out of it. I would like some feedback on the model itself (40 2 dr sedan single back window) and what folks are doing to them. Also my choice of the Olds engine. Also likely need help in setting up my profile as each forum is different. Thanks.

Champion Member
    Have an M5 that I will be getting next month, hopefully a 57 silver hawk (if it doesn’t sell and I can get my wife onboard). My father-in-law has been a huge Studebaker fan and collector. I’m looking forward to getting to know the truck and hopefully the car! Not necessarily super young, but not close to retirement either.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper2011 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm another new member. Recently picked up a 1962 Hawk. Appears to not have run in a very long time. Needs a lot of work, but it has good bones.
    Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Johnny!

That Huge round thing by the right firewall appears to be an Aftermarket Oil Filter like a Luberfiner or other Brand for a really BIG Diesel, that engine ought to be spic and span inside!

It appears to have the Carter WCFB 4 barrel Carb. Option.

StudeRich

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Wow! Lots of new members logging on here lately. That is wonderful. Welcome to all of you. Our growing Studebaker family means more cars getting saved for future generations. I hope each of you has a long and happy association with our club and our favorite marque. Drive them and have fun.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Champion Member
    Well, I'm a newbie to the studebaker life. Just got an old 47 m15 dually. Is that very common

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 47 hauler View Post
    Well, I'm a newbie to the studebaker life. Just got an old 47 m15 dually. Is that very common
    Congrats on your purchase of an M15A! I guess it depends on your definition of the word "common", but Studebaker built quite a few M-15A trucks in 1946 and 47. I could probably tell you how many, but am not home right now to check my archives. A brief history of the post-War M-series trucks is in chapter 7 here:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...uckHistory.asp

And there's a web site dedicated to Stude trucks. Several M-15 owners post there:
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/stud...k-talk-f23885/

Champion Member
    Just bought my first Studebaker, a 1964 Commander Special. An incredible car with an interesting history and great build sheet. Lots of tinkering to do but in excellent condition overall. Looking forward to learning a lot on this site to help me navigate the best ways to enhance this great car without ruining what makes it such an interesting classic car.

1964_Studebaker.jpg

Silver Hawk Member
    Congrats and welcome. Be sure to join SDC and the Vancouver Island Chapter.
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE DRUNKSKUNK View Post
    g101131 says the importer's plate...
    so is it a 57 or 58?

i will have it delivered next week for more numbers to cross...
    There would have to be some Numbers missing, because G101,131 would make it a 1951 Champion Six!
    But either way, a G is always a Champion Six, BODY and Chassis at least!

And then there is the question some of you "out of the U.S. Members" would have to answer: do the "Importer's Plate" Numbers have ANY correlation to the Studebaker Corp. Serial Numbering System?
    StudeRich

Commander Member
    Hi Everyone,

I have been a Corvair owner for the last 13 years and as thats a 1960 I decided it was time to get a more modern car so I just bought a 63 GT after wife approval of its elegant lines It looks to be a good original unrestored car with 83k on the clock. As I'm living the UK I did not get to inspect the car in person so it might turn out to have the latest Flintstones drive train (lets hope not!) The car should be loaded onto a boat today to be shipped over to England today!! I will keep you posted when the car arrivesimage5.jpg 20161009_104245.jpg

Champion Member
    Hi there,
    Really glad I found this forum, I have just bought a 1923 Big 6 and I love it!
    Looking forward to annoying you with questions!
    Pat.

Champion Member
    Good morning All!! I am the proud new owner of my grandfathers project car which is a 1956 Studebaker Power Hawk. He passed away 15 years ago, and I received an unexpected text from my uncle asking me if I was interested in taking on the project. It was in fair condition last I saw it, and has been stored in my uncle's shop. I hope there is at least a few Power Hawk owners on this forum that can answer an onslaught of questions that I am sure will arise during the project. I am looking forward to fulfilling the car's potential as my Grandfather and I were very close. I just hope I am up to the task. Wish me luck!

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Phil!

I own my father's '56 Power Hawk that he sold new, when he was a Studebaker Salesman in the Los Angeles Area.

I remember the Car from New because as Dad did with many Customers, our Family's became friends.

My Car was built at the Los Angeles Assembly Plant the last year for it. The Hawk still is completely the same as it was when "Mac" Fletcher McKnight owned it.
    It is an Automatic, with the "Power Kit"; 4 Brl. Carb. & Dual Exhaust, full tinted glass, has no Power Steering.
    It is Romany Red with the Optional Two-Tone Roof in Snowcap White.
    StudeRich

Commander Member

Unrestored 1966 Sport Sedan with 23,394.4 miles from new in no reserve auction on bringatrailer

Commander Member
    I just posted that without explaination. The car is located in western Washington state, about a twenty minute drive from the Tacoma Dome and the LeMay Museum, site of the upcoming Studebaker Nationals in August.
    1966 top of the line model vin #C533749. Includes window sticker, vehicle ID card, owner ID, original sales contract, manuals, stickers, keys, trunk mat, etc. I has had minor scratches touched up when it was buffed out in 2013 and new carpets installed. It is unrestored other than that and is as nice as you will find. It is not, nor has it ever been fully detailed. The paint on the entire floor is intact and rust free but it is slightly dirty (original) under the new carpets. The paint in the trunk, including the entire floor, and trunk lid are original and rust free and would maybe be something a new owner wants to detail. This car is as original as they get but has had recent work to bring it to a point where nothing more is really required. New borg-warner trans and torque converter, radiatior, belts, hoses, brakes, tune up, etc. Runs super well and goes better than the 289 Datonas I've owned though I love them just the same. "All numbers match" except the little bit of added chrome under the hood done by the owner of the past five years...all the original parts in near mint condition included.
    It should show up on the auction site in the next few days, before the weekend and will have tons more info and pics. No reserve so the high bidder is going to get it.

Speedster Member
    Beautiful car. Double 56. Can’t wait to see more of it and hear the history

Champion Member
    Hello all, I bought the Daytona that Doublesfeature56 posted. The brand has always had a part in my family and I'm happy to continue it. I probably won't be able to provide much help to others as far as technical knowledge and specific model knowledge but I'm going to absorb what I can.

Ronnie/severalsins: That Lark is beautiful! Reminds me of my grandpa's that he had and I'd ride around in!

Champion Member
    New (old) Studebaker owner - Help -- Took title to DOL and found there is an I where a 1 is supposed to be in the 1957 registration No. and they will not license it. That's the way the stamp appears on the door jam as well. Washington state. The reassignment of title has a 1 listed where the capital I was on the original. Anybody heard of this or are there any solutions out there? Thanks in advance.

Champion Member
    New (old) Studebaker owner - Help -- Took title to DOL and found there is an I where a 1 is supposed to be in the 1957 registration No. and they will not license it. That's the way the stamp appears on the door jam as well. Washington state. The reassignment of title has a 1 listed where the capital I was on the original. Anybody heard of this or are there any solutions out there? Thanks in advance.

Silver Hawk Member
    Yes, Studebaker used a font for its serial plates that had an I instead of a 1. It should be read as a 1. This was commonly understood 50 years ago, but today's DMV personnel don't have that background. The Studebaker Museum has written up a description of the practice that most DMVs accept. Can't find the link to that write-up, but maybe someone else has it.

President Member
    Hi Ronnie in Portland,
    Just doing some back trolling here and see I may have missed your '59 Lark for my registry.
    Pleas post your Vin # and all pertinent info and options so I can get you on the '59 registry.
    Thanks and cheers,
    Bill

Champion Member
    Thanks for the font information, Skip. You are right about today's DMV, good to know they are following their directives but doesn't do much for yesterday's error. Unfortunate in our case. Will look for the write-up.

Champion Member
    Asking for more help -- Going to change oil and filter. If I remember correctly there was only non-detergent oil in 1957? Or was it if you started with non-detergent oil you didn't change to high-detergent? It's a '57 Golden Hawk. Also need to know proper transmission fluid (automatic). Thanks.

Silver Hawk Member
    Detergent oils were first developed in WWII and became commonly used with the development of the OHV V8 after 1949. Your car almost certainly has been using detergent oil, maybe from new. You are correct that older (pre-1950s) engines probably started out life with non-detergent oil, and that converting them to detergent much later could allow a lot of gunk to circulate through the oiling system and damage things like bearings. If you are worried about it, you could drop the pan and see if there's a layer of sludge down there or not. However, be aware that replacing the oil pan gasket on a Stude V8 is a bit of a pain while lying on your back.

You can use any modern ATF in your trans, but pick a type (Dexron, Mercon, etc) and stick with it. Suggest drain the unit and refill with whatever you want.

Champion Member
    Hi All!

My fiance and I just took the plunge! 1941 Studebaker Commander! Ordered the Report from the Museum-I have tons of questions but what are the best books for wiring/body? Trying to figure out what all the knobs and what items I am missing! Could anyone give me a good decoding of the order?
    37997765_640848278814_4228740906045407232_o.jpg
    37835729_640794646294_5181428625836081152_o.jpg

Champion Member
    Drained and filled tranny. It was low. Found it used more than 3.7 pints as stated somewhere. Found fill cap is on passenger floorboard. Distributor cap is both grooved and marked almost top to bottom. Shaft must be wobbling. Doesn't run rough, but doesn't purr either. Can't find complete new '57 distributor for 289. Considering a new Pertronix distributor. Seems like a positive move with a couple possible negatives. One is, since all numbers match and this distributor is not stock; Two is, the Pertronix won't work with original tach. Though I was told that Stewart Warner makes a duplicate that will. (Probably look shinier or newer on dash.) I am physically unable to do this work any more (and didn't have the knowhow 61 years ago when I owned one of these, or today) so have to find someone with knowledge. Any thoughts?