Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: LOTS of new Studebaker owners Lately: welcome! Post Here

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy204 View Post
    I'm new here. I had a 59 Lark when I was a 16 years old. I now have a 60 Lark I'm building as a gasser. And I'm still 16 years old????? Well not but it's my lie. hehehe
    Good luck wity your 60. Keep us informed of your progress.

Champion Member
    I bought a 55 Commander at an estate sale in south Alabama a few months ago. It sat outside for several years and was never started so it deteriorated but is a solid car. I drove a 53 Champion to high school in 1965, I loved that car and I have always wanted another Studebaker. I have 6 old cars total so something needs to go but I'm pretty good at buying them but not very good at selling.

Champion Member
    Page 2: IMG_0733.jpgGas tank cleaned and sealed, fuel pump replaced, Edelbrock carb rebuilt, master cylinder and rear brake lines replaced. Rebuilding the front suspension now and hope to be on the road in a week or two. New tires and wheels. Paint and interior will need to be done at a later date.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob5341; 01-02-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Speedster Member
    Have "new" 1960 Hawk. Had driven a 1962 4dr Lark back in the 80s when my wife and I were first married. Still have it in storage, but I am presently rebuilding a 60 Hawk. Chassis is complete with rebuilt engine, trans, front and rear ends, and steering. Hope to start body work soon, get the brightwork replated, and lastly upholstery.Better get to work!

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries

Where are those missing 65 Daytona Sports Sedans

Quote Originally Posted by showbizkid View Post
    Gryphon, sounds like you have a real "goer" there! I'll bet it's a fun drive.

We had someone post a couple of weeks back - I forget who - about a too-short driveshaft, where the front yoke fell out of the slip joint and embedded itself in a field. Not something you want to have happen at speed!
    Changing subject but I would like to know where are all the 65 Daytona Sports Sedans that were on the internet for sale ?? Anyone that knows of any I am looking to put them in the registry if they aren't on it already . Have seen at least a dozen or so in the last year . Somebody has had to seen or heard something about these cars . If anyone knows anything email me at not4u@nlis.ca . Thanks folks .

Old Fart

Champion Member
    Hi everyone, I just joined the club. I recently bought a 52 c cab pickup (or what was left of it lol). I am looking forward to spending a lot of time on this project, and I'm sure I will be looking for parts and advice along the way.

Champion Member
    Thanks for the welcome....I have to get a 1953 Commander from Oregon to Connecticut. Any suggestions on carriers, etc.?
    Paul

Commander Member
    Hi,
    I just purchased a pair of Studebakers and joined the club. I am looking forward to getting one of them running and hopefully presentable. the first is a 1963 Lark, the other is a 64 Commander. Both have the 6 cylinder OHV engine. The Lark is in very poor condition with the Commander not far behind but both came with clean titles. I bought them with the idea that I cant possibly make them worse and I will learn many new skills along the way.
    -Aaron

Silver Hawk Member
    Welcome! Feel free to ask questions. We've all been there.

Champion Member
    Just cause we're new doesn't mean we have to remove our wallets to drive a stude. Resale on these vehicles is as low as any junk car. and prices for parts is as out of reach as a rolls royce.All the forums are great info and Ilove being a member of SDC.Maybe I could switch wallets with one of you complainers for a while.I have a bad back also from 35 years of construction but I won't complain if it's too fat.I'll trade back when it' as thin as mine . Haha.I always wanted Roys Rolls Royce but I didn't know it would turn out to be a Studebacker Champ. Thanks guys. And let me know about trading for a nice fat wallet. NM Roy

Champion Member
    Hello everybody,
    I'm a newbe for sure. Recently got a 41 M5 and have slowly been working on her. I would like to meet other M5 owners and share info. I'm fortunate to have a friend in town that has a 47 and he has been very helpful, but just wanted to reach out to others.
    tks
    jgmav007Image 2-2-17 at 6.02 PM.jpg

Champion Member
    Hello. I am new to the Studebaker family. I just bought a 1963 Lark from Bellingham, WA and imported it into Canada (Vancouver, BC area). If anyone happens to be from around here and knows a mechanic that can help me out, that would be great! I really need to pass the BC Inspection so that I can drive it around.

Champion Member
    i just inherited a 64 gran turismo from my mother.

Champion Member

Hi, I just bought a 1964 Champ truck 8E7 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome View Post
    Thanks for starting this important thread, but as you must know it has near zero chance of staying on this main SDC Forum without getting moved off.
    Hello,
    I just bought a 1964 Champ pickup with V8, 4 speed floor shift (?), dual exhaust, and long bed. I'd say it was a work model. The interior of the cab is real nice, but the doors bottoms, quarter panels, and various spots all over the bed with rust, the bed is surface rust, but the door bottoms and quarter panels are pretty bad. I crawled under and it looks pretty good there. I got it in Texas, and I live in Prescott, Az. I really wanted to make it run well, stop well, and steer well, and I'd then try my hand at cutting rust out and doing body filler. I have talked to two regular mechanics here both good, and both at first seemed ready, but after thinking told me I had to go to a local restorer shop where I will pay triple I think. The seller said he thought it would start up with out too much work as it coughs when starter fluid is sprayed in it. I had $4,500 saved for work on it, then two weeks ago my gas water heater went out and it was a short fat one with power vent, and it cost $2,250 to replace, and I had a molar infection with root canal and a crown that was $1,600 out of pocket, so I guess it will sit a while longer until I can save up again. I was really disappointed when my long time mechanic would not work on it, he said parts, etc. had him concerned. I think they just want fast in and fast out work anymore. I was going to leave it's exterior as it is, I think it is beautiful with all it's flaws and faded out paint. I guess I'll talk to the "restorer guy" and see if he'll give me a guess on just making it a daily driver, then go to plan B. If I get it running I'll come back here and share it with you. In high school in Yuma, Az my buddy Mark had a long bed Studebaker and we all piled in it and went to Burger Chef and fishing and frog gigging, and maybe that is why I love this old long bed. Oh, the driver door latches don't work right unless you shut it real hard, the passenger door works great. Thanks for listening, Robert in Prescott, Arizona.

Champion Member
    That is great, and a fun inheiritence!

Champion Member
    I used East-West Transporters (Alan), and they sub'd mine out to a independent guy I think. I cost $950 from Lubbock,Texas to Prescott, Az ( right in the middle of the state). If you use a credit card there will be some "fees extra". Everything East-West told me they did, and the guy delivered it to my home at 8:45 pm at 24 degrees and he had on a Tee shirt and shorts, and he really got it off his trailer fast, ha ha. It was a 1964 Champ long bed truck that was delivered to me. My only advice is " Only discuss the vehicle you want shipped with the shipper's admin person, do not mention any other vehicle period, as they got my description a little mixed, but it did not interfere with their delivery at all. Alan is a nice guy, and he'll tell you any costs. Best to you, Robert.

Silver Hawk Member
    Robert-
    All mechanical parts are readily available for your truck, and most are not expensive. It should not be hard to get it to run well, drive, and stop.
    http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Hi Studebaker Nation----- I figured I should introduce myself on my very first post.
    1957 Goldenhawk
    My name is Gordy Barnes and my father, Terry Barnes recently passed away. He has been fan of Studebakers his entire life. Before I was born, Dad had a 1957 Goldenhawk which he just loved. I recently found a picture of it as we prepared to close his estate. If I recall, it was back on black (maybe red) fins pic below? Hard to tell in the black and white picture and going off memory. After marriage and a growing family (and a broken axle) Mom made him to sell it, somewhere around 1963ish. A regret he always had.
    Of course, an expanding family, work (he retired with 40 years at Boeing), life and other responsibilities didn’t allow Dad to get another hobby car. He always helped other people work on their cars and restored several of mine and my siblings. But never one for himself. That’s the type of person my Dad was… Selfless
    Growing up, I heard stories about the Goldenhawk and how much he enjoyed it. In particular, a race he was in with a Jaguar. My Dad’s friend Dave was driving the Hawk and a Jag came up to challenge them. My dad said, “Go, I’ll pay the ticket…” and the race was on. The Goldenhawk outpaced the Jag and kept pulling away. A cool story to hear about my Dad’s car.
    Fast forward to 1988. I followed my Dad’s footsteps and started my career at Boeing also (I have 30 years so far). I loved looking at Autotraders back then and found a rust free, complete, gold 1957 Goldenhawk for sale. The price was $4K. I was excited and showed my Dad, but he grumbled something about Mom would complain, so I said “Let’s go in half’s on it, and this can be yours to have fun with…” At that time we just finished up my 57 Chevy Truck and wanted him to have his own ride. We both pitched in $2k and the car came home to Seattle and I was an official Goldenhawk co-owner (which was really Dads). When born, the Hawk was an automatic, but at time of purchase it had a 3sp and a supercharged 259… The good news is we received the org 289 S block with it.
    Over a short period of time, we prepped the body, painted, rebuilt the supercharger, spiffed the interior a bit and made it a nice street driver. He loved the car and took it to Reno for Hot August Nights annually. The car also did well at an International Studebaker Meet in Portland years ago.
    The years went by, and the car wasn’t driven a lot, he would pull it out a couple times a year and drive around and go to a cruise, a show, or local drive in.
    Cancer took my Dad from us in late June 2016 and now I have the responsibility to watch over the Goldenhawk. When clearing his estate I looked at the 289 block and decided to get it rebuilt. I contacted Neil Wollam and he is now finishing up the rebuild of the original motor and helping me learn more about Studebakers.
    Soon, the original motor will be back in the car. It runs just fine with 259, but I thought it would be nice to have the correct engine back in. Appearance wise, the car is gorgeous and people really love the car, but mechanically it’s tired. This year I will have all brakes redone, and currently debating going disc conversion, but leaning towards rebuilding stock. I want to get the steering and suspension rebuilt, so I can hop in and go. I told Dad I would get it to where it should be. My promise to him.
    I have made a few connections already and love the passion of the Studebaker owners. Thank you StudeRich for the call and advice and Neil for all the hard work on the engine and heads.
    The car resides in Mukilteo WA, about 30 miles north of Seattle. My father passed about 5 weeks before my daughter’s wedding, so it was a very special day driving her to her wedding in the Goldenhawk and having pictures with the car in from of the lighthouse in Mukilteo, WA.
    I’m sure there is more to share and wanted to say Hello as a newbie, but not new to Studebakers and in theory, I have co-owned the Goldenhawk for almost 30 years. Back then, I was 23 and the coolest kid around driving a supercharged Goldenhawk. Now I’m proud to continue love for the car and my Dad’s legacy.
    Now to figure out how to posts pics and get to know you.
    Gordy a.k.a. Big Smooth

Success, but how do I get the pics smaller.. sorry for the size.

Champion Member
    Hello Studebaker friends, I too am a new member who after restoring an old flat fender powerwagon and selling it I was left with the void of nothing to tinker with having grown up around my Dad's gas station it's in my blood along with a lot of lead I'm sure. So looking on craigslist I found a 1961 Hawk which I totally flipped for and after further research of the Studebaker story I've become so fascinated with one of the greatest stories in American history.Why did'nt the government bail them out?...oh well. Anyway I'm having fun restoring it looking forward to meeting fellow enthusiests at York. I've allready passed my initiation,Pulling rear drums on those tapered axles, Boy was that fun lol. Mike Earle....Making Studebaker great again.

Hi Jersey, love the Hawks and welcome from 1 new guy to another!

Long lives Hawks
    1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Champion Member
    I'm a new guy (Barry) in Huntsville Al. with a 1954 Studebaker champion two door, started the rebuild, got front end off , engine out and front fenders off and now going back with rebuilding the front end suspension. Taking a little off
    and rebuilding it, just a little at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by barry gibbons View Post
    I'm a new guy (Barry) in Huntsville Al. with a 1954 Studebaker champion two door, started the rebuild, got front end off , engine out and front fenders off and now going back with rebuilding the front end suspension. Taking a little off
    and rebuilding it, just a little at a time.
    Hi to you new guys...welcome to the addiction!

Champion Member
    guys,
    a brief introduction of a new forum member....
    My name is Tom, living in the middle east (Qatar).
    I recently bumped into a Hawk GT 1962 here in Qatar.
    Over the past days I browsed through this forum to get a better understanding of the do's and don'ts when buying a stude.
    The car was imported from the US to Dubai, and somehow ended up in Doha, Qatar.

Using this forum, youtube and google. I came up with some questions.....
    I will post my queries in a separate post. Hoping to find some answers......

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom, it's amazing some of the places these Studies show up. Welcome aboard...and we love histories and pictures!

Champion Member

New to this site

I'm new to this site but certainly not new to Studebakers, being a 3rd generation Stude driver. My doctor once told me I have obsessive-compulsive tendencies, which certainly pays off when it comes to restoring old cars as well as other things. I spent a LOT of time (24 months) resurrecting my old '77 Dodge pickup, turning a crusher ready 2 wheel drive into a solid 4-wheel drive Power Wagon (using stock parts, no cobbling up). Literally the only thing that wasn't repaired, rebuilt or replaced was the title. Really. The only thing I didn't do myself was replace the windshield, which the shop manual says is a 2 person job and I didn't want to bust it.

This past winter I have been working on family genealogy, which can be really frustrating at times, requiring breaks now and then. I decided it was time to get my '60 Hawk completed. 28 years ago I rolled it, well actually flipped it end over end. Coming home from a funeral with the wife and kids, had a guy fail to stop and pull in front of us, I swerved to miss him, met another car coming head on and then oheaded for the ditch. And it was technically my fault because I managed to not hit the guy that pulled out in front of us. Everyone ended up banged up except me...apparently bending the top of the steering wheel forward at a 90 degree angle with my chest and busting the windshield out with my head prevented any body parts from being damaged or hurting. The ex always told me I was a hard headed German and I guess that's one time she was right because I never even had a headache, although the heartache I felt for my Stude was certainly intense. Needless to say, when the car ends up on its roof, there's a lot less headroom on the inside than before. And take my word for it, when the kids are eating Blizzards and you flip a car, ice cream goes EVERYWHERE! You'd be amazed at the obscure places I found ice cream when I stripped it that winter. After a lot of body work and painting, upon reassembly I found the left front frame was bent. Our financial situation also got bent after a bunch of bad luck with hospitals, insurance (pre-existing conditions) and family (not Stude injury related) left us owing 22 different doctors and hospitals. Of course the Stude project came to a screeching halt as eventually did my motorcycling, photography and just about everything else that I derived any enjoyment from. Phone got turned off, had to borrow money from mom after we ran out of LP one cold winter night. Just keeping the family together was a job. Before it was all over, I had to swallow a whole lot of pride and get on food stamps for 3 months because I literally couldn't feed my family.

Fast forward 15 years to a divorce due to the ex's case of amnesia. She got into horses and found herself a cowboy boyfriend but forgot that she was still married to me all the while. Horse lovers are like alcoholics; they can't stop with just one. And that applies to both horses and boyfriends in case anyone's wife starts showing undue interest in horses.

But anyway, a few years later I got the new interior installed in the Hawk but then came other bills and kid expenses, so the Stude set another 10 years. It's funny how the ex hated being married to a tightwad but she loved being divorced from one because when kid expenses came up, I was the only one that had anything. This spring I decided that my latest obsession was going to be getting the Hawk fixed. I had an extra frame behind the sheep barn and now have it in the shop. It has rust problems and I figured I'd rebuild-modify it to remove that limp noodle feeling Hawk frames are known for. After that I'll lift the body, swap out and repair any suspension issues (like new front springs) and go through all of the brake lines and such, then set the body on the "new" frame. I'd always planned on finding someone who could still straighten frames, but the idea of hoping that a previously bent limber noodle frame would stay straight was eating on me, hence the other frame.

I got back into motorcycle travel touring 10 years ago after no annual bike trips for 19 years. My main ride is an '84 Kawasaki Voyager (the 960 lb, 6 cylinder version). Like a Stude, most parts are unobtainable so I carry spare parts with me on a long trip. Over the years been to 47 of the lower 48 states, Juarez Mexico and 4 Canadian provinces (last there in 2015.)

Hello, all. Just got into Studebaker ownership about a week ago. My 52 Champion is pretty solid and runs and drives well. I've enjoyed taking friends out to turn heads.
    1952 Green Studebaker Champion
    • manual
    • 6 cyl
    • no radio
    • owner since 4/11/17

Pictured: PO (left) and me

Champion Member

63 wagonaire

My step dad has given me his father's Wagonaire. Complete but has been sitting for several years. He said I could sell it,but I have no idea what it is worth. That's why I am here to ask opinions of what would be a decent asking price.
    Not sure how to upload a picture just yet, but I will once I find out. Southern/Central Illinois is my location.

Champion Member
    Who has one of the best 1962 Grand Turismo Hawk car? I would like to see pictures a Concorse car? I need details for a drawing.
    Thanks

Hello all!! I just got my 1939 Studebaker Champion about a month ago and I got it on the road a week ago. It's an old restoration, runs good and needs a lot of little things (rubber gaskets on doors and trunk, tires??, gauges). I haven't owned an antique car in 20 years or so, and nothing this old before, (Closest was a 1941 Buick). It's super clean and rust free. Should be fun!!!!studebaker_small.jpg20170422_120752 (1).jpg

Champion Member
    What years where - Grand Turismo Hawks offered Black exterior and black and with white stripe interior? I don't see many of these. Or was the picture I seen unusual?

Champion Member

Interior of GThawk

[QUOTE=Dabby;1055682]What years where - Grand Turismo Hawks offered Black exterior and black and with white stripe interior? I don't see many of these. Or was the picture I seen unusual?

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie Mac View Post
    Hello...I'm new and newly own a 56j doeskin/mocha...finally!!!...thanks for the welcome!
    Marie in West Virginia
    Is it a Sky Hawk?
    peter lee

Champion Member
    Hi everyone.
    We collect our 1942 President eight on wednesday
    Once home safely I'll post pictures. I need recommendations for trimmers on south coast UK.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieR View Post
    Hi everyone.
    We collect our 1942 President eight on wednesday ������
    Once home safely I'll post pictures. I need recommendations for trimmers on south coast UK.
    There is an SDC club in the UK. Names and addresses of its points of contact are listed here:
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com..._worldwide.asp

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    There is an SDC club in the UK. Names and addresses of its points of contact are listed here:
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com..._worldwide.asp
    Oh thanks very much

Champion Member
    Hi guys and gals this seems like a friendly site.My friend just talked me into the Studebaker scene.I just went to the south bend international meet in May and was fascinated by the Studebaker line of cars.The Lark really got my interest.After releasing my 48 Crosley wagon,that I had owned for ten years, its time to get on a new path.So now I am on the hunt for a little coupe with juice brakes and a little more power than the Crosley.I live around the Hammond/Gary area Munster,IN is my hometown now.So if anyone knows of a nicer project Lark let me know I am game for just about anything.
    Thanks Bart(Crosley8)

Champion Member
    I've already had at least one post and just stumbled over this part of the forum, so I will take a little bit of time and describe how I got here. I've always liked all cars and I've had a 1938 Chevrolet Coupe since the early 70s, and I just got it back on the road. I have the other project car, a chopped 49 Ford, 1978 Vette and a few motorcycles. All I have left is the old Chevy and my wife knows I need something to do or I'll be a little crazy ������ I had thought about getting in early 30s open car but Iowa winter seem to be pretty long. I started looking for Studebaker coupes, The one I found initially on craigslist disappeared off the list and I had no idea where it was located, but I ran into a guy at the grocery store who happened to be from the general area where the car was and he was able to give me information to find the owner. I went up and took a look at it, It didn't seem too bad and I ended up buying it. As I've torn apart I found out that the prime ingredient of a Studebaker is rust. It won't be long at all have as much money and patch panels as I did in buying the car, but it will have the desired effect and keep me busy for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champion Member
    Oh thanks very much
    So several weeks later I have no contact. I have asked to join the group and even sent a private message to the chap. But I guess he just doesn't want to know

Silver Hawk Member
    So several weeks later I have no contact. I have asked to join the group and even sent a private message to the chap. But I guess he just doesn't want to know
    Greg Diffen (the newsletter editor) posts here regularly. Suggest you give him a call, an email, or start a new thread here with headline that says something like "New Stude owner in the UK looking for advice". Good luck.
    Skip Lackie