Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LOTS of new Studebaker owners Lately: welcome! Post Here

LOTS of new Studebaker owners Lately: welcome! Post Here

A few years back, BP added up new forum members, new Stude owners etc.

I notice lately lots of new posters, and lots of new people coming through my website and other Stude websites.

Well Bob, show us some new numbers, we must be growing??? And WELCOME to all the new guys!

And- can our membership secratary see a new jump in members yet?

new guys, (post here)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by (S) View Post

I notice lately lots of new posters, and lots of new people coming through my website and other Stude websites.

Well Bob, show us some new numbers, we must be growing??? And WELCOME to all the new guys!

And- can our membership secratary see a new jump in members yet?

new guys, (post here)
    Thanks for starting this important thread, but as you must know it has near zero chance of staying on this main SDC Forum without getting moved off.

Hello...I'm new and newly own a 56j doeskin/mocha...finally!!!...thanks for the welcome!
    Marie in West Virginia

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by (S) View Post

And- can our membership secretary see a new jump in members yet?

new guys, (post here)
    Cool beans indeed. Given the nature of the internet and its general usage by younger people, it's safe to assume that younger (well, younger than the average-age SDCer, that is) people will find the Studebaker hobby through our forum than elsewhere. A good sign. BP

I have noticed the same thing. I don't post often,but I do come here every day. I have noticed many " new Stude"' , "new member", "first timer" posts. Can't be anything wrong with that.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Then there are old fogies like me. I was a member of the SDC for more than thirty years before stumbling across the forum. I had used computers for many years but had been too busy using it for business to think of the possibilities for visiting with my Studebaker friends. Except for an occasional romp through eBay, looking for parts, I didn't think of, or participate in forums.

Even my first foray into the forum was undertaken with a misunderstanding. I first thought that the forum was an internet version of the "Cooperator" column in our "Turning Wheels" magazine. I thought the forum was a staff of volunteer experts eagerly hanging out on the internet waiting to assist us poor plebes needing technical assistance. (embarrassing confession)

Since then, I have compared the forum to a 24/7 campfire. Where folks wander in and out and engage in conversation from A to Z. Ever now and then, like gold miners sifting through tons of crappy dirt, a little nugget of enormous value is found. Although I am now embarrassed about my initial misconception of the forum...I have found other older members with the same misconception.

In addition, there is an entire segment of our membership who have never delved into the internet. Sadly, these folks have become "functionally illiterate" in negotiating today's society.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Mr. Corbin is an old Fogey too.
    The wife has been pulling after my 2R5 so much so that I had to get her her own Transtar...
    Stumbled on the Forum looking for parts and advice on the resto....

Although I'm new to SDC & the Forum, I'm not young-only young at heart...I just wish I had persued my dream car years ago...better late than never, though...

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    In addition, there is an entire segment of our membership who have never delved into the internet. Sadly, these folks have become "functionally illiterate" in negotiating today's society.
    Enough to be annoying, right? E-mail has fast become an "essential serviece" in that its the medium most used now to notify chapter members of meetings, upcoming events, and most importantly 'last-minute' changes or cancellation due to weather, etc. The fact one can send something out with a map attachment, if necessary, to 55 people instantly at once ensures no one gets missed compared to having to try and get a hold of those same 55 members by phone. And sending letters through the mail is expensive, and there is no guarantee the recipient will get it on time.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 03-08-2012 at 07:08 AM.

I, too, enjoy reading the posts...I find I can learn from them-something I need...I want to know more about my car than how to drive it...

President Member
    I joined here a few years back when I was looking to buy a 1962 Lark. Passed on that car since it was missing it's drivetrain (6 cylinder/3spd) and more importantly; the body was trashed. I'm guessing it wasn't a native Arizona car. About a year ago I looked at it again (different owner) but passed.

Last summer I looked another 1962 Lark with a 259/3spd/OD which I bought. The motor went to a guy with a ca. 1956 Commander and the tranny/OD, bellhousing, starter and gear shift rods all to different members here on the Forum. Again no drivetrain but now has a Chevy 350/TH350/Ford 8" rear end instead. The body is not perfect but 1,000% better than the first 1962 I looked at and was sold new here in the Phx area according to the registrations which came with the car.

So my '1962larksedan' nic is still accurate.
    Last edited by 1962larksedan; 03-08-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

President Member cultural infidel's Avatar
    I guess you could say that I am a new member... I just bought my first Stude.

Been working on my uncle's off & on for the past year.... and got tired of him saying the same old shpeel that he was going to restore it and drive it some day.. it was in storage for 35+ years with out being touched. Someday I may get his wagon... but I got tired of waiting for "someday" to arrive.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon...
    Check the Blog @ http://thisoldstude.blogspot.com
    Will be updating sooner or later. It has been a long time since I have posted anything.

Things needed for the garage: Studebaker Tailgate to be used as a fold down workshelf.

joined the forum recently after picking up my '63 Daytona off "C-list" in November. Been 20+ years since I had a Stude in the garage. Already learned some good info to help along the way.

Thumbs up It's stuck!

This thread is such a good idea, I've made it a sticky! It would be great to see all the new Forum member and new Stude owners put a shout-out right here!!

Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I'm one. Long time Stude fan, owned a 57 GH in late 70's. Have wanted an Avanti since 1962 but restored many cars since but never an Avanti. Finally picking it up next week.
    I really enjoy coming here. Already made contact with several Belligham area members.
    Harvey
    63 Avanti R1 #2826

Interesting you mention that Mike! Locally, we too have had at least five new members who have never owned a Studebaker before join our chaper and SDC within the past year. We have not seen this influx of new members join probably since the 1980's, and is WELCOME news indeed!

Craig

Discussion of SDC and Forum membership numbers has been moved to its own thread. Let's keep this thread as a place for new folks to say "hi!", and to welcome them!
    Last edited by showbizkid; 03-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Clark in San Diego

Champion Member

60 Lark Covertible out of the garage after 33 years

First Post

Finally rolled the 60 Lark Convert out of the garage. My wife's dad was the sale manager at LE Belcourt Studebaker/Renault dealership up on Capital Hill in Seattle. He gave her the car in 65'. We drove it about 45,000 miles (total on OD is 72,000). Before rejoining the SDC and reading the forum, I was planning on going to a 350/400. After reading many post on the engine subject, I decided to keep the 259 and Flightomatic. The 259 has now been rebuilt, including heads. Mike, in Ferndale, is working on the things I didn't want to tackle (Suspension (Moogs/Gabriels), Tranny, Dana 27 to 44, Turner front kit w/dual MC, etc.). I really appreciate all of the great info shared on the forum...Thanks much to all!!

One question today: I want to install American Racing Torq Thrust II wheels 15x6 (6" setback : 2 3/4" frontspace, 3 1/4" backspace) with 205 70 15 radials...Will they fit/work??

Thanks again...Phil

Thanks for posting, Phil! That is a great story - I hope we can see pics of your Lark too!

I can't tell you about the Torq Thrust D specifically, but I have 15x6 Cragar S/S' on my car, with 225/70/R15 Cooper Cobras on the back. They fit and look good - but it's tight. If the PO hadn't rolled the fender lip for clearance, they probably wouldnt!

Clark in San Diego

Champion Member

60 Lark Covertible out of the garage after 33 years

First Post

Finally rolled the 60 Lark Convert out of the garage. My wife's dad was the sale manager at LE Belcourt Studebaker/Renault dealership up on Capital Hill in Seattle. He gave her the car in 65'. We drove it about 45,000 miles (total on OD is 72,000). Before rejoining the SDC and reading the forum, I was planning on going to a 350/400. After reading many post on the engine subject, I decided to keep the 259 and Flightomatic. The 259 has now been rebuilt, including heads. Mike, in Ferndale, is working on the things I didn't want to tackle (Suspension (Moogs/Gabriels), Tranny, Dana 27 to 44, Turner front kit w/dual MC, etc.). I really appreciate all of the great info shared on the forum...Thanks much to all!!

One question today: I want to install American Racing Torq Thrust II wheels 15x6 (6" setback : 2 3/4" frontspace, 3 1/4" backspace) with 205 70 15 radials...Will they fit/work??

Thanks again...Phil

Thumbs up Welcome to the SDC and the Forum Phil

Glad to see you on the Forum Phil, it was nice meeting you and I always love to hear these great Stude. History stories of the Family connections to our wonderful Cars.

Mike is moving right along with your nice Convertible, the new Moog front springs are in, "A" Arms rebushed, Upper outer pins replaced, king pin replaced and frame detailed, you won't recognize it if you come up this weekend.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Commander Member
    I just join this forum . I live in Little Rock, AR. I'm walking out the door to go pull the wheels off of a '57 Stude Transtar. Its hidden in the woods and trees will have to be cut to get it out. Pics to follow.

New to the forum and to Stude ownership. I just bought a 56 Power Hawk. I have belonged to other classic car forums and owned classic cars on and off for the past 40+ years. I have been into restoration for about the past 10. I'm still trying to get the hang of the search engine here so no posts yet. Will soon.

Rog

President Member
    Ann-Margret...one classy lady...and her namesake looks like one classy Stude. Those deepdish wire wheels are perfect on this car.

S.

Got my first call for an impromtu cruise in today...small town & only a few cars, but it was fun!

Champion Member
    My first car was an almost new 1950 Champion. A few used Studebakers followed. Now since I am old and foolish I just bought a 1964 Avanti R2. Solid Gold...

Interest comes naturally since I grew up in South Bend during Studebaker production years. Friends worked summers at the factory. I worked at the brewery.

I've written an epitaph for Sherwood Egbert that I'd be happy to share. Dave Pyle • dap8@comcast.net

Been trying to get a profile picture uploaded...checking progress...Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Mac View Post
    Been trying to get a profile picture uploaded...checking progress...Marie
    OK...'If at first you don't succeed..........'

Champion Member
    I'm new and don't own a Studebaker but my Father just bought a 1948 M5 that we are going to try and get running again. So far we haven't been able to bring it home to work on it. Went to put new tires on it only to find out one wheel is bent. May end up using it until we can find another one. Can anyone tell me if Eddie Parmer is still selling parts?

Welcome to the Forum James.
    Good to see another M series fan in our midst.
    There is a lot of great information here.
    And Marie....keep working on that profile photo.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Champion Member
    Hi,SDC people.
    I have been a member myself ,in the 90ies ...
    At the time,i bought a 1963 GTHawk,in Escondido (southern ca.) and brought it back to France.
    Last week i found and bought a Golden Hawk ,vin : G10 11 31.
    The car was sold without any documentation,but it may have been sold new in France at the time.
    Could someone help me to trace it ,from its vin numbers?
    Thank you for your attention.
    Michel Resdi aka the french skunk.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE DRUNKSKUNK View Post
    Hi,SDC people.
    I have been a member myself ,in the 90ies ...
    At the time,i bought a 1963 GTHawk,in Escondido (southern ca.) and brought it back to France.
    Last week i found and bought a Golden Hawk ,vin : G10 11 31.
    The car was sold without any documentation,but it may have been sold new in France at the time.
    Could someone help me to trace it ,from its vin numbers?
    Thank you for your attention.
    Michel Resdi aka the french skunk.
    Hello, and a big "Bienvenue!" to this Forum! Its great to see Studebaker owners from all around the world here. There are at least two others who are also from France:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=autoretro

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=bienvenue

Craig

Champion Member
    Hi ,Craig .
    and thank you for the grand "welcome".
    the Skunk.

Champion Member

Question 57 golden hawk id required

g101131 says the importer's plate...
    so is it a 57 or 58?

i will have it delivered next week for more numbers to cross...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE DRUNKSKUNK View Post
    so is it a 57 or 58?
    From the photos, it appears to be a '57, going by the grille and the 15" wheels.

Craig

Champion Member
    Hey all. New Stude owner here. I've just acquired a '51 Starlight Coupe that has a few issues but I'm getting them sorted out. It does not have all of its original parts as it is a street rod. Hopefully the picture works.

Gryphon, welcome to the Forum! That's a beautiful ride - nicely done. What's under the hood?

Clark in San Diego

Champion Member
    showbizkid,

Thanks for the welcome. It has a 350 sbc in it with a 350 trans, power steering and power brakes. It is sub framed with an S-10 front and rear with 3.42:1 gear ratio.

It looks pretty on the outside (and the engine sounds wonderful!) but it was a bit ugly under neath. And those ugly issues I'm having to correct is that the drive shaft angle was way off, thus causing serious vibration. Plus I had to get a custom drive shaft made as the one that was in it was a bit too short. Yikes. The last thing to be done is to clean up the welds on the front and rear as they were a bit on the crude side. That should be done here in about a week. With that it will be good to go for a daily driver.

Golden Hawk Member
    Last week I had two guys call me that had just purchased their first Studebaker. They are both in upstate New York. What might be considered a negative is that neither is young. As a positive, I am always glad to see someone new come into the fold rather than just trading between us. I gave them what information that I could and directed them to SDC, their local SDC Chapter and this Forum.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Gryphon, sounds like you have a real "goer" there! I'll bet it's a fun drive.

We had someone post a couple of weeks back - I forget who - about a too-short driveshaft, where the front yoke fell out of the slip joint and embedded itself in a field. Not something you want to have happen at speed!

Clark in San Diego