Thread: 'jaXed' site mash search has Craigslist back (somewhat)

'jaXed' site mash search has Craigslist back (somewhat)

'jaXed' used to be my favorite Studebaker search. It searched a number of different sites but mostly it worked great for searching Craigslist.

Last August, jaXed was forced to stop including CL. From their site:

The jaXed Mash has been presented with a "CEASE AND DESIST UNLAWFUL MISUSE OF CRAIGSLIST" from attorneys representing Craigslist. In the C&D, The jaXed Mash was cited for violating the Craigslist Terms of Use. Cragislist has demanded that The jaXed Mash remove all Craigslist listing titles, and cease to index Craigslist listings in the future.

For me, this effectively ruined their site mash, since the vast majority of it was CL. I bought several cars off CL through jaXed since it's too annoying to search every area separately on CL. I just chalked it up as a lost source.

I still had a link to jaXed in my favorites list, and was going to delete it, but clicked on it one more time. What I found was a very clever workaround they came up with! It works like this: if you click on a listing that says '3Taps', you get a window with this message:

The link you requested is: ------------------------------
    We believe the original source of this listing is located here:
    --------.craigslist.org/-------------

The last line is the actual CL link. You copy and paste it and presto, you're at the CL ad!

It makes a little more effort, but at least you can still find the cars. No idea how long this will last before CL figures out how to put the kibosh on it, but at least for now it's almost like the original jaXed I checked every day. Kudos on their ingenuity

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cg...&state=&ys=&ye=
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

President Member
    I dont see the conflict for CL. The people have placed their add on CL, this site is just a cross link TO CL right? It just promotes searching and finding things on CL and other places right? CL still gets the listing and a sale, albeit for free. Where is the conflict here?

It has been said that jaXed made CL much more effective against eBay, so eBay was behind the C&D. Being a 25% owner of CL, eBay was able to make this happen. And, it would be well worth it to throttle their much smaller CL investment to protect the much bigger eBay.

The story makes sense, but I have no idea if it's true.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

President Member
    That theory is very plausible and does make good sense. Like you say, no idea if it is true, but I had no idea that eBay owned any part of CL. Good info to know.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post

The story makes sense, but I have no idea if it's true.
    I understand Studebaker used Ford 289 engines. It makes sense, but I have no idea if it's true.

This from Jaxed...

"Craigslist is about being local. Craigslist wants nothing to do with any sort of nationwide search and they don't want anybody else doing it for them. We really don't think this has anything to do with eBay owning part of Craigslist. It has to do with the idea of the "Craigslist way" of dealing locally. "

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/home.cgi

Try Search Tempest
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    Dick,
    That is what eBay would WANT CL to say.....conspiracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    I understand Studebaker used Ford 289 engines. It makes sense, but I have no idea if it's true.
    Is that supposed to be some comparison?

Apples and oranges.
    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

internet revenue is tied to "hits" or visits to a site. more hits, more advertising money. it is more likely that CL didn't like all those hits going to jaxed for their product.

President Member
    I have had good luck with crazedlist.com It "allows you to search CL like a madman. It was working for me as recently as a month ago. Trick is, you have to "disable referrers" in your browser (they tell you how), so that the CL server does not know how you got there.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

I started using search tempest

Speedster Member
    The internet was founded on the principle of sharing information, and any attempt to restrict that should be condemned.
    Imagine where we'd be today without Google or other search engines, does CL want to shut them all down?
    ? yr M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Speedster Member
    Thank for sharing this. I used to use Jaxed daily before the C&D order. I was not aware of the 3taps.

'89 Ford Festiva L 109k mi.
    '90 Ford Festiva L 93k mi.
    '90 Ford Festiva LX 75k mi.
    '90 Ford Festiva L Plus 115k mi.
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

President Member
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Silver Hawk Member
    When I tried "allofcraigslist" I got slow loading and a ton of ads. These search engines are using the draw of craigslist to sell the crappy ads on their sites. Not going there again unless someone can explain how th dodge the Red Velvet Gossip ads and suchlike, which is exactly what they don't want to happen.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Speedster Member
    this was suggested somewhere but i have not tried it

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Craigs...-10791326.html
    ? yr M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

President Member
    Jack, you need to run the Firefox Web browser, and use the Noscript and AdBlockplus add-ons. You will see practically no pop-up or embedded ads in any site. Some sites that use Javascript for the ir functionality won't load or work properly, but you tell NoScript to "allow" or "temporarily allow" them.

People are always complaining about the ads on the Studebaker Truck Talk forum. I never see 'em.

And Firefox is free. As are the add-ons. Donations gratefully accepted, though.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

President Member
    I've been using Craigslist Reader pro from Cnet for the past year. It works great .
    Last edited by bonehead007; 02-16-2012 at 06:27 PM.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

President Member
    Thanks for the hints!