Thread: Present day Studebaker Shops

President Member

Present day Studebaker Shops

A thread from a few days ago got me to thinking about present day shops who specialize or at least are known for there work on Studebakers.
    I did a quick search, found nothing.
    Vendors are pretty well covered.
    Is there a list of shops who work on Studebakers ?

SDC has a glove box guide that lists service providers who offer to help the traveling Studebaker.
    Needless to say, there are hundreds of shops familiar with the marque who are not in the glove box guide.
    The local shop I deal with knew what a Studebaker was but didn't become immersed in the culture until I had moved a couple of projects in to and out of his shop.
    Now, he has the parts catalogs and shop manuals for every Stude that's crossed his threshold and, a '56 Transtar of his own.
    Still less than 1% of shop traffic.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    I think this is an excellent idea. Many Studebaker owners (or would be Studebaker owners) do not wrench. It would be a great service not only to service existing club members, but also to make it easier for prospective members to own a Studebaker. I don't believe a list exists. If we can develop one, it should be published monthly in TW and should be available here on the SDC web site.

I only know of a couple. Studebakers Northwest and Studebakers West

Hopefully others will chime in here and we can compile them and get them listed.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Golden Hawk Member
    Carl and Herman Thoms at Studebakers West.

Myer's Studebaker.

Mike Baker has an Avanti shop.

Brad Bez does restoration work, but he's a "I'll come to you!" guy, rather than having a specific location.

George Klutkowski in Florida is one of the lesser known ones, but one of the best.

I'm sure there are a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post

Myer's Studebaker.

Brad Bez does restoration work, but he's a "I'll come to you!" guy, rather than having a specific location.

George Klutkowski in Florida is one of the lesser known ones, but one of the best.

Matt...how about some contact info on the above.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Stude specific restoration shops are fairly well known to those of us who have been involved for a while; lesser known to the newbies.
    If I grok Dan's question correctly, can we develop a list of those shops who can identify and quickly repair Studebaker issues?
    Not looking for the restoration facility that will re-deliver a new Studebaker months or years later.

Tim Keeney's Square Deal Garage, York, PA (717) 741-1151
    Roan's Body Shop, major and minor mechanical and body, State College, PA. (814) 234-1180

But, someone will need to collect, collate and disseminate.

Larry Swansen had the list at one time of stude repair/parts sources.

I goggled studebaker repair and restoration and found plenty of shops. The vendors that do repairs have it on their websites, A guide would be nice but when SDC put one together, there was hardly any interest in it. I think when people want work done, they find us when they want to.

The Hochhalters do excellent repairs and restorations on Avanti, In Eastern, WA http://www.dailysunnews.com/archives...nti-sports-car

Studebakers Northwest specializes in repair, and have parts. http://www.studebakersnorthwest.com/

Meyers Studebaker is one of the older shops http://www.myersstudebaker.com/

Studebakers West has also been doing it for many years and has parts. http://www.studebakerswest.net/
    Last edited by (S); 02-12-2012 at 08:59 PM.

President Member
    How about including a list in the Membership Roster ?

Silver Hawk Member Chris_Dresbach's Avatar
    Jim Maxey is one of the best when it comes to building engines. (The rest of his mechanical abilities are 100% as well)
    Chris Dresbach

So...if we really want to do this, we'll need contact info (address, phone, and or web site)
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member
    I can always add another page on my site

www.studebaker-info.org

Speedster Member

Myer's Studebaker.

Brad will be in the St. Louis area by about late March or early April, doing several more restorations over the next year. It's centrally located.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

There are three major guys that are here in the Chicago area. Pretty much every Blackhawk member who has been in the club knows about them, and they are very reputable.

Deluxe Auto Werks
    Scott Statsny(Owner and Blackhawk member)
    (630) 293-7750
    319 Wilson Ave, West Chicago, IL
    DeluxeAutoWerks@att.net

I think he's moved into mostly restorations now, and he does Brand X and collision work. He's the longtime, residential Studebaker mechanic for the club. He's detailed, extremely knowledgeable, and he knows our Studebakers from top to bottom. He also owns and drives Studebakers and a Pierce Arrow. He helped us put my flexplate and replaced a leaking pinion seal into my Lark, as we really didn't want to crawl under there on the winter ground.

Old Coach Works
    1206 Badger Street •
    Yorkville, IL 60560-1701 •
    PH. (630) 553-0414 • FX. (630) 553-1053
    http://oldcoachworks.com/

These guys also do restorations, and are very well established, in fact, they also advertise in the back of Turning Wheels. They will also do insurance appraisals. We have used them to do insurance appraisals on a few of our cars.

Special Mention:
    Auto Machine
    (630) 584-1188
    310 N 6th St, St Charles, IL 6017

These guys have worked on Studebaker engines for a very long time, and the shop is very well established. They did the R&R work for the first Avanti R3, so they know their stuff.
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Speedster Member
    Speedwell Motors (Ross Miller) in Parkton, MD and Dennis Weinsteiger in New Berlinville, PA are both excellent Stude repair facilities.

President Member
    Here's what was listed recently and more

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjvs.html#specialty

Commander Member
    How about Craig Piper out of Westmoreland Pa.?... He's still doing resto's isn't he...

President Member
    .....and to tie together another old/previous thread...with a challenging premise: Why only support people in a club who specialize in Studebakers ???? This is a little close-minded in terms of expanding or exposing the marque to the public. If we all bring our cars and restos to "Stude only" people....isn't that narrowing our scope of expansion ??? I have no sacred requirement to buy only from Stude club members or from Stude vendors. I'm sorry to step on any toes here..but what a discussion takes place whenever I take my car or truck to the local NAPA or FLAPS........hey-there's more interest there than the gas station !! And more likely "convert" or interested and likely buyers than elsewhere...! I suggest its more likely to get expansion in the club by bringing our cars down to the local FLAPS for occasional items. Just about every time I pull up to a local parts' house, I find 1 or a few people around the car......kind of like a mini car show. Exposure is the key.....here's another place to expand that....I liken this mentality to mining TW's subscriptions to family member or kids....In my view that's an easy (done deal) sell.....
    Last edited by jackb; 02-14-2012 at 10:08 AM.

President Member
    Not so Matthew, GEORGE is world famous. I ain't Lion. cheers jimmijim

Myer's Studebaker.

Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

President Member

I somewhat agree

I sorta agree with you Jack but I won't let just Anybody Auto Repair work on my car even if their garage is full of antiques from the big three. The last time I went to one shop for a grease job on my Hawk I had to pinpoint zerks for them cause if they weren't screaming at the tech he would have serviced 11 out of 18. If I go to any body not Stude specific for my upper inner a arm bushings guaranteed I'm gonna baby sit the tech. Yes, there may be xceptions but I'll probablyhave the World Famous George guy do my bushings since I am no longer physically capable. At least they'll be done right foremost and probably less costly. cheers jimmijim P.S. just my experience in my locale. Anothe point Jack. I have exactly 3 tw MAGAZINES ON HAND AFTER GETTING THEM OVER 35 YEARS. I give them away at multi make car shows and cruises to people that express interest in Studes. cheers again jimmijim>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> QUOTE=jackb;620759].....and to tie together another old/previous thread...with a challenging premise: Why only support people in a club who specialize in Studebakers ???? This is a little close-minded in terms of expanding or exposing the marque to the public. If we all bring our cars and restos to "Stude only" people....isn't that narrowing our scope of expansion ??? I have no sacred requirement to buy only from Stude club members or from Stude vendors. I'm sorry to step on any toes here..but what a discussion takes place whenever I take my car or truck to the local NAPA or FLAPS........hey-there's more interest there than the gas station !! And more likely "convert" or interested and likely buyers that elsewhere...! I suggest its more likely to get expansion in the club by bringing our cars down to the local FLAPS for occasional items. Just about every time I pull up to a local parts' house, I find 1 or a few people around the car......kind of like a mini car show. Exposure is the key.....here's another place to expand that....I liken this mentality to mining TW's subscriptions to family member or kids....In my view that's an easy (done deal) sell.....[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 02-14-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Anything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

President Member
    Hey-what about Witmer's Automotive in Ephrata,PA? They do fantastic work on Studes & everything else! They own & drive,build,restore some of the best looking & driving Studes,including R cars. They bailed us out on many occasions. They are on Farmersville Rd. Their business number is (717)859-1078. They did my Dad's '64 R-1 Avanti engine,289 for my '64 HT 4 speed as well as an engine for our '64 T cab. All are still well. They are a great family & honest as the day is long. Rob in PA.

President Member
    point well taken JimJim....I was really thinking along service items vs. bodywork and specialty areas. There was a time I had 3 Studes on the road and frequented York to get good, American made authentic service items (e.g. seals, bushings, bearings etc.) from guys who were happy to sell
    60's items @ 70's & 80's prices.....Not anymore. Seems they simply go online, see what NAPA or AutoZone are charging and mark up accordingly..maybe even more.....

President Member
    I agree with jackb. There are a lot of shops who have the WILL to do a good job on an older car. A lot of guys don't want to bother. To me that means having some old car knowledge AND being able to read and research how to do a job correctly. Take rear axles. Lubed tapers and finger tight axle nuts have been found on 4 hubs I've worked on recently.
    I found a good guy in Union, MO who is concientious, careful and willing to do it right. While not Stude specific he's a general repair shop who did right by me.
    Master Auto Tech. N Christina St. Matt Snodgrass.

Quote Originally Posted by vmania View Post
    How about Craig Piper out of Westmoreland Pa.?... He's still doing resto's isn't he...
    Out of Blairsville in Westmoreland County; YES!