1941 Transmission problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1941 Transmission problems

EDIT: Thanks to everyone that responded. I looked in the shop manual and it said there was no clutch adjustment on a '41 Champion. I tried changing the transmission oil in the transmission and overdrive housing, and it works! The car shifts very smoothly (even better than before) and has no trouble going into gear even when warm. I decided to try this first as it seemed easier than dropping the transmission and checking everything.

My '41 Champion will not shift into first or reverse when warm (temp. gauge reads around 170). When trying to select first or reverse, it makes a grinding noise and will not engage gear. It will select second and third without issue. The transmission is an overdrive transmission.

I think I may have a solution. I was wondering, how would I go about changing the transmission fluid?

If you think it's something else, please tell. The car has just under 7600 miles on it. Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

Here are pictures if you want to see the car:

Last edited by kmb; 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM. Reason: Problem solved!
    sigpic

"What a lucky thing the wheel was invented before the automobile; otherwise can you imagine the awful screeching?" - Samuel Hoffenstein

unless i am missing something it sounds like a clutch adjustment is needed...wait for others to chime in...
    1947 M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

As tbirdtbird said, make sure the clutch is completely releasing first. Also, If the car has sat for a long time, the input shaft might be dragging in the pilot bushing.

Comment

Kevin,
        What did you use for lube? The proper SAE-90 is available at NAPA and elsewhere. If you use normal hypoid gear lube it might damage your tranny.
        There is a clutch adjustment. Take a look at 0206-32 in the picture below:

But that might not be your problem. Nice looking car!
        Nathan

Comment

If you aren't familiar with older transmissions its important to know that 1st gear IS NOT synchronized, meaning you more/less have to have the car stopped to shift into 1st gear.

Joe
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

what he said plus have full release of the clutch
            you can shift into 2nd and 3rd with a slightly grabbing clutch because of the synchros, but first and reverse will grind like heck
            1947 M5 under restoration
            a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Clutch is not fully disengaging. That's my bet. Dan

Comment

Working...
              X