Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace oil bath with K&N type or paper element?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Replace oil bath with K&N type or paper element?

I recently got a '62 GT Hawk. As you know it has an oil bath air cleaner. What is the common practice regarding this set up? Do most feel that keeping the oil bath system is the way to go?

Because I don't know any better I'm thinking I'd like to replace the filter portion with either a paper filer or a K&N filter.

Is there a K&N, or NAPA, AutoZone filter that will fit in the stock housing in place of the oil bath deal?

Be kind I'm just learning

If the oil bath doesn't leak, there is no reason not to use it.

Comment

An oil bath type provides superior filtration than either of the others / The paper filter is 2nd / The K&N doesn't filter anything except bugs..
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

They did not all come equipped with oil bath air cleaners, mostly the ones going to certain areas of the country. Oil bath air cleaners at the time were more efficient than dry types. My GT has the factory dry air cleaner.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Leave the oil bath cleaner on the engine if it is in good shape. If you want a dry filter, use a stock filter housing and a paper filter. Wix still makes the replacement filter for the stock housing and I'm sure someone around here can supply you with a stock paper filter housing. The K&N filter will flow a bit more air at the expense of filtration. Bud

Comment

As has been mentioned, there was both, dry filter element and oil bath offered from the factory. Over the years, dry filter material has come a long way in quality control and the ability to block micron particulate. If it is good enough to install in your new computer controlled vehicle...it is good enough for your Studebaker. A factory dry element filter housing with the proper replacement element should work fine. The original oil bath works fine. If you install an aftermarket filter, make sure it is of sufficient size to handle the air flow required for the engine.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Can you put a dry filter element into the gutted oil bath housing?
              Peter Bishop

Comment

While I'm not a fan of the oil bath filters...I'm even less of a fan of K&N filters.
                If it's a race engine...yea..K&N is an ok filter...but if it's a normal street car...an OEM type 3" x 14" assembly is a good way to go.

Now...depending on the path that the air has to travel...you "may" need to rejet your carburetor a little richer. Drive and pay attention to the milage and the way the engine runs.

Mike

Comment

My GT came with NO air filter. If you go to a dry type, I'd be interested in getting your wet filter assembly. (Anytbody know if this would work with an Edelbrock 1406?)
                  I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                  1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

No, it won't fit on a 1406, unless you use an adapter like this:

Comment

Working...
                    X