Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Day in History: January 22nd, 1942 - Studebaker LA Plant converts to War Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Day in History: January 22nd, 1942 - Studebaker LA Plant converts to War Effort

Jan 22, 1942

The last production car rolled off the assembly line today as the Studebaker LA plant converts to war production.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Here's some useless trivia. I don't know if these were made in the LA plant, but in South Bend they made these "Series 90" blackout cars on the last two days before switching to war production. They were called series 90s because it was Studebaker's 90th year. (1852-1942) They were completely painted, no brightworks. The reason for this was because the government needed Chromium, stainless, brass, and other shiny stuff for the war effort. The car in the photo is a 1942 Series 90 Commander prototype, and I use "prototype" loosely being that it was a stock 1942 Commander with all the brightworks either removed or just painted over. Notice that this car has no body moulding, door handles, or headlamp rings. The hubcaps and the discs above the front bumper are painted over. They were probably in the process of deciding what they were going to do with the bumpers when this photo was taken being that they are still chrome; either to remove them entirely or paint them. In the end they painted them a contrast color to the body.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

And on this date in 2008, Bob Glasscock joined the SDC Forum.

Comment

Is that a smaller Champion behind the Commander, Chris, or ???

(Personally, I think this was all a ruse. They were really planning the 1950 Champion Custom and 1957 Champion Scotsman series.) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Is that a smaller Champion behind the Commander, Chris, or ???

(Personally, I think this was all a ruse. They were really planning the 1950 Champion Custom and 1957 Champion Scotsman series.) BP
          It may be. This is the only photo I have of this car.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Another Series 90 but a Champion.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Wonder what this particular cars fate was. Since these last cars were held back and only dispensed as they were needed (or justified), it would be fun to know what this car ended up serving as - military, police, essential services (doctors and such) OR did it make it in storage until the end of the war, when it would have been released back to Studebaker to sell as they saw fit.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

From Studebaker's "Spotlight" magazine ...with one of those "Black-Out" cars at Studebakers in South Bend being KD'd (Knock-Down) for creating & shipping to who knows where. That guy in the center photo looks very familiar ...hey, wait a minute ...that's my FATHER!!! That center photo had to have been taken shortly before April 4, 1942 when my Father joined the Army

Comment

Working...
                X