Thread: This Day in History: January 22nd, 1942 - Studebaker LA Plant converts to War Effort

This Day in History: January 22nd, 1942 - Studebaker LA Plant converts to War Effort

Jan 22, 1942

The last production car rolled off the assembly line today as the Studebaker LA plant converts to war production.

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member Chris_Dresbach's Avatar
    Here's some useless trivia. I don't know if these were made in the LA plant, but in South Bend they made these "Series 90" blackout cars on the last two days before switching to war production. They were called series 90s because it was Studebaker's 90th year. (1852-1942) They were completely painted, no brightworks. The reason for this was because the government needed Chromium, stainless, brass, and other shiny stuff for the war effort. The car in the photo is a 1942 Series 90 Commander prototype, and I use "prototype" loosely being that it was a stock 1942 Commander with all the brightworks either removed or just painted over. Notice that this car has no body moulding, door handles, or headlamp rings. The hubcaps and the discs above the front bumper are painted over. They were probably in the process of deciding what they were going to do with the bumpers when this photo was taken being that they are still chrome; either to remove them entirely or paint them. In the end they painted them a contrast color to the body.
    Chris Dresbach. South Bend, IND.

1940 Champion two door sedan "Ely"
    1952 Model N prototype in pieces
    1963 "Turtle" prototype
    1953 Sunroof prototype (Recovered from the proving ground graveyard in 1969)
    1960 Lark 2dr sedan
    Michiana Chapter Secretary

President Member
    And on this date in 2008, Bob Glasscock joined the SDC Forum.
    \'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Is that a smaller Champion behind the Commander, Chris, or ???

(Personally, I think this was all a ruse. They were really planning the 1950 Champion Custom and 1957 Champion Scotsman series.) BP

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Is that a smaller Champion behind the Commander, Chris, or ???

(Personally, I think this was all a ruse. They were really planning the 1950 Champion Custom and 1957 Champion Scotsman series.) BP
    It may be. This is the only photo I have of this car.

1963 "Turtle" prototype
    1960 Lark 2dr sedan

Another Series 90 but a Champion.

1963 "Turtle" prototype
    1960 Lark 2dr sedan

Wonder what this particular cars fate was. Since these last cars were held back and only dispensed as they were needed (or justified), it would be fun to know what this car ended up serving as - military, police, essential services (doctors and such) OR did it make it in storage until the end of the war, when it would have been released back to Studebaker to sell as they saw fit.

Banned
    From Studebaker's "Spotlight" magazine ...with one of those "Black-Out" cars at Studebakers in South Bend being KD'd (Knock-Down) for creating & shipping to who knows where. That guy in the center photo looks very familiar ...hey, wait a minute ...that's my FATHER!!! That center photo had to have been taken shortly before April 4, 1942 when my Father joined the Army