64 Avanti found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Avanti found

Alright guys, I have located a 64 Avanti, serial #5556, with an R2 and 4 speed. This car needs EVERYTHING as it has been in a shed for 36 years. Needless to say, here in Wisconsin, rust has gotten to every nook and cranny on the car. The engine does not turn over, the supercharger is in a box (rebuilt and "beefed up", but sitting also for 36 years), trans and 3:31 rear end with 90 thousand miles on them. The paint is peeling/flaking off the body, and ALL the chrome is bad (bumpers have rust holes in them, and very little plating remaining). The frame needs the plates replaced and some repair in the rear wheel hump area. What I need from some of you "experts" is what is it worth? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks B.V.

waiting 4 pics .

Comment

That is a really really late car. Pictures would help a lot.

Comment

Whoever coined the phrase "There's no such thing as a cheap Avanti" was talking about one like this. Still, it is what it is, and probably worth 5 to 8K to somebody.

Comment

If you do all the work yourself and do not run into too many problems, It costs 1800 to overhaul the engine, refresh belts and hoses and about 700 to get brake parts, 500 for tires, 650 for exhaust.......

And the cars is not yet done.

The car is probably worth $ 2- 4 K and probably worth more as a parts car. It may be more cost effective to get a west coast shell and merge the two cars if this one comes cheap.

Comment

rust has gotten to every nook and cranny on the car. The engine does not turn over,
            RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

You asked what it is worth, but that's unknowable without a complete disassembly. A complete, running R2 engine and 4-speed assembly is worth $3000, easily. A rusted non-running lump - who knows? Same with the disc brakes. I've seen some rusted beyond being able to use anything.

I usually don't advocate parting out a complete car, but from your description this one is definitely going to cost way more to restore than it would be worth. There are good running, good driving Avantis for sale here and on eBay every week.

jack vines
            Last edited by PackardV8; 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM.
            PackardV8

Comment

Sure this Avanti is in horrible shape, but it's serial number alone takes it out of the 'run of the mill' class. (and then consider that engine and transmission combo)

Comment

Sounds like a major money pit, Bill. Don't pay more than what it's parts are worth.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

You asked what it is worth, but that's unknowable without a complete disassembly. A complete, running R2 engine and 4-speed assembly is worth $3000, easily. A rusted non-running lump - who knows? Same with the disc brakes. I've seen some rusted beyond being able to use anything.

I usually don't advocate parting out a complete car, but from your description this one is definitely going to cost way more to restore than it would be worth. There are good running, good driving Avantis for sale here and on eBay every week.

jack vines
                  I agree with Mr. Vines here, and completely respect what he says. But I would add, I know somebody who bought a '53 Buick Convertible that was literally breaking in half from sitting outdoors, wide open and unprotected for decades, and rebuilt it into a show winner. Needed three parts cars to make it happen. How does the value of a show-quality '53 Skylark convertible compare with a like-quality r2 4-speed Avanti? And not just in $$, but in significance? Probably the Buick is worth more, but maybe by not that much.

Bill's describing a car that will need a huge pile of money and the highest level of skill participation to restore; many Avantis in that condition probably wouldn't be worth saving. I just think this particular car might be more worth saving than most, like the Skylark Convertible was worth it where a 4dsd would not have deserved that effort. Food for thought.

The Buick guy did his car himself in an oversized one car garage because it was his dream car and he wanted to really challenge himself; but a part of it was he knew when he was finished he would have a very significant car.

I sold my Avanti last summer after driving it a month because I found I'm just not an Avanti lover. But in my mind a late r2 4-speed Avanti deserves exceptional consideration. Could be wrong, I guess. Just think it through and let us see some pictures!!
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. The car belongs to the brother of a friend of mine, and he wants an idea of its worth. I restored my brothers 63 R2 4 speed a few years back, which was almost as bad as this one. It took 5 1/2 years and a ton of $$$, but the car is show quality. I don't have pics (forgot my camera) but I'm confident that it is a $1,000 car. Maybe a little more, but it will take a lot to get it on the road. I'd like to have other ideas on this one, even without pics, so thanks for your input. I agree that parting it will get him more money, but I think he would like to see someone get it back on the road. I'll keep everyone posted.B.V.

Comment

Earlier today there was a rolling shell on either Hemmings or Classic Car for sale for $2,500.00 in Calif. Get them each for a grand and a half and transfer the needed parts.
                      Cheers, Kennie

Comment

The car may or may not be worth restoring, your call. But if I didn't see it here the $1K number sounds about right to me.
                        At least you are aware that a good restoration, even if done by you, will cost more than the car is worth.
                        If you're looking for a challenge, sounds like this one qualifies. Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
                          Alright guys, I have located a 64 Avanti, serial #5556, with an R2 and 4 speed. This car needs EVERYTHING as it has been in a shed for 36 years. Needless to say, here in Wisconsin, rust has gotten to every nook and cranny on the car. The engine does not turn over, the supercharger is in a box (rebuilt and "beefed up", but sitting also for 36 years), trans and 3:31 rear end with 90 thousand miles on them. The paint is peeling/flaking off the body, and ALL the chrome is bad (bumpers have rust holes in them, and very little plating remaining). The frame needs the plates replaced and some repair in the rear wheel hump area. What I need from some of you "experts" is what is it worth? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks B.V.
                          worth? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks B.V.[/QUOTE]
                          b.v.
                          I'm in the process of restoring a 63 avanti R2, 4 speed, that was sitting inside since 1977, it was in relative good shape from a structure standpoint, but needed everything else. It had an interesting and verified past, minimul frame work and solid hog throughs but still expect more that 20K expense and possibly 30K depending on paint. These are expensive cars to restore correctly that, currently, do not have a good, rational, return, but I say go for it if you get the car for under 5K and have 1,000 to 2,000 labor hours to spare, otherwise you may want to look for something else. This is my first Avanti restoration after 7 Studebakers but has gone fairly well thanks in large part to help from the forum and Avanti vendors. Ken Deltaville, Va

Comment

have sent P/M

Comment

From the information provided, my guesstimate is $1500 to $2000. There is a 1963 Avanti, that has been sitting, currently on the local Craigslist that they are asking $2500, or reasonable offer, for and I haven't even had a desire to check on it.
                              Last edited by studegary; 01-23-2012, 11:39 AM. Reason: corrected after re-checking C/L ad
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X