Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

camshaft install in new rebuild question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: camshaft install in new rebuild question.

I am reassembling the 259. I have a question about the camshaft position. I have centered the camshaft marked tooth between the two marked teeth on the crank gear. Is that sufficient? I started thinking about the crank gear turning twice for each revolution of the cam gear and am wondering if I could be 180 degrees off.
    I have searched but found nothing. The service manual just says not to disturb anything - which is impossible during a rebuild. There is a picture, but as I have the CD version I cannot see where the marks are.
    I think I have the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke and the cam gear marked tooth is at the top of the gear - 180 from the crank gear.
    The timing cover, pulleys, damper, cylinder heads, etc, are not installed yet.

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
    I am reassembling the 259. I have a question about the camshaft position. I have centered the camshaft marked tooth between the two marked teeth on the crank gear. Is that sufficient? I started thinking about the crank gear turning twice for each revolution of the cam gear and am wondering if I could be 180 degrees off.
    I have searched but found nothing. The service manual just says not to disturb anything - which is impossible during a rebuild. There is a picture, but as I have the CD version I cannot see where the marks are.
    I think I have the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke and the cam gear marked tooth is at the top of the gear - 180 from the crank gear.
    The timing cover, pulleys, damper, cylinder heads, etc, are not installed yet.
    You have it set correctly, you're good to go.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

No, you won't be 180 off with the crank to cam gear. as long as you have the marks lined up.
      Now, if you rotate the crank exactly one revolution, you will see the cam gear mark right at the top.
      Just be sure to have the crankshaft at TDC when you put your distributor back on (and not 180 degree's off)
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

When the marks are lined up with the dots, the number 6 piston is at top dead center.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yep. That's where everybody gets "off" on the initial ignition timing.

If you leave the crankshaft and camshaft dots "together," you must place the distributor in the engine with the rotor pointing at the #6 spark plug terminal, not #1. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X