Thread: camshaft install in new rebuild question.

camshaft install in new rebuild question.

I am reassembling the 259. I have a question about the camshaft position. I have centered the camshaft marked tooth between the two marked teeth on the crank gear. Is that sufficient? I started thinking about the crank gear turning twice for each revolution of the cam gear and am wondering if I could be 180 degrees off.
    I have searched but found nothing. The service manual just says not to disturb anything - which is impossible during a rebuild. There is a picture, but as I have the CD version I cannot see where the marks are.
    I think I have the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke and the cam gear marked tooth is at the top of the gear - 180 from the crank gear.
    The timing cover, pulleys, damper, cylinder heads, etc, are not installed yet.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5brown1 View Post
    I am reassembling the 259. I have a question about the camshaft position. I have centered the camshaft marked tooth between the two marked teeth on the crank gear. Is that sufficient? I started thinking about the crank gear turning twice for each revolution of the cam gear and am wondering if I could be 180 degrees off.
    I have searched but found nothing. The service manual just says not to disturb anything - which is impossible during a rebuild. There is a picture, but as I have the CD version I cannot see where the marks are.
    I think I have the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke and the cam gear marked tooth is at the top of the gear - 180 from the crank gear.
    The timing cover, pulleys, damper, cylinder heads, etc, are not installed yet.
    You have it set correctly, you're good to go.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

No, you won't be 180 off with the crank to cam gear. as long as you have the marks lined up.
    Now, if you rotate the crank exactly one revolution, you will see the cam gear mark right at the top.
    Just be sure to have the crankshaft at TDC when you put your distributor back on (and not 180 degree's off)

When the marks are lined up with the dots, the number 6 piston is at top dead center.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Yep. That's where everybody gets "off" on the initial ignition timing.

If you leave the crankshaft and camshaft dots "together," you must place the distributor in the engine with the rotor pointing at the #6 spark plug terminal, not #1. BP