Photo Essay: Old Dealership Buildings 12/26/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Essay: Old Dealership Buildings 12/26/2011

Wife Cari and I decided to unwind after a hectic Christmas by driving to my hometown of Paris IL today (12/26/2011) after dropping son and new daughter-in-law at Indianapolis International Airport for their return flight to Washington DC.

Paris, Illinois is the county seat of Edgar County, about halfway downstate from Chicago, bordering eastern Illinois on the Illinois/Indiana state line. I took my camera along to photograph what was left of many old dealership buildings in Paris and post them for those of you who have an interest in such things.

Our family moved to Paris in June 1953 when my Dad (left) and his brother Milton bought the Packard franchise. I was 7 years old. They added Nash right away to have mid- (Nash) and low- (Rambler) priced cars to sell. Here they are in May 1954 in front of their building at 141 East Court Street in Paris:

Here is the building today:

They joined the Studebaker dealer in June 1955 and moved to his larger building on North Central Avenue. Here is that Studebaker dealership circa 1953:

And here is that building today...or, rather, a photo taken from exactly the same place in Paris. Yes, the building was demolished about three years ago, I am sorry to say:

Other former dealership buildings around Paris are still being used. Directly across the street from the original Palma Motors (first photo, above) was the Chrysler-Plymouth dealer. Here is that building today:

The DeSoto-Plymouth dealer in Paris was D.R.Noonan. He welcomed Dad and Uncle Milt to town and was kind of a mentor for them early-on. Here is the DeSoto-Plymouth dealership building today on Paris' West Wood Street:

The Pontiac Dealer was Ray's Motor Sales. Here is his Pontiac dealership building today on North Main Street in Paris:

Paris, Illinois had an Edsel dealer for about 18 months. Today, here is the building in which it was located:

The strangest situation of all is the [non] Ford dealer in Paris. Long-time dealer Bob Gross built an all-new, state-of-the-art (and still very useful) dealership building out on the big east-west highway, U.S.150, in the late 1950s. It's still a nice place and big enough to be a good dealership.

When he retired, he sold it to (or it otherwise wound up in the hands of) a group of investors who proved to have, shall we say, inappropriate ties to nefarious business enterprises. Ford pulled their franchise and, today, the county seat in a large, prosperous Illinois farm county has had NO Ford dealer for about four years! As ridiculous as it sounds, the building stands today with all the signage intact:

On other matters, the small, single-island Shell Service Station where I first pumped gas at age 15 (no drivers license yet!) and sort-of worked on cars "commercially" still stands...well, kinda:

We've discussed here the disproportionately-large Post Offices built during the 1930s to keep people occupied, and Paris IL was no exception. The 1930s-era Paris Post Office is no longer used as a Post Office, and is directly to the east of Dad and Uncle Milt's dealership building shown up top with them and the 1954 Rambler out front:

Cari and I split an enormous breaded pork tenderloin sandwich at the home-town Main Street Cafe in downtown Paris and then headed back east across the state line to home in central Indiana (Brownsburg, NW of Indianapolis).

On the way across U.S.36, we passed through Rockville on the western edge of Indiana. If you lived in or around Rockville in the 1950s and were excited about seeing a new, 1955 Strato-Streak Pontiac V8, or maybe a 1959 Wide Track Wonder, you would have stopped here at the Rockville Pontiac dealership. The building has been an antique store for decades, although I distinctly remember when it was a Pontiac dealership:

Overall, we had a nice day winding down from a great Christmas while recording some history before it is lost to the elements...or wrecking ball. 'Hope you all had a Christmas as wonderful as ours, and Happy New Year. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for the hist'ry lesson, Bob. That Ford dealership looks like it could open for business tomorrow. All it needs are a couple of truckloads of new cars and trucks.

Craig

Comment

Also appears to be an AMC wagon on the left wall of Paris Sales Co.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks, Bob, for showing us all the neat photos. When I see these types of buiildings in my travels I always wonder what brand of cars were sold back in the day.
        I have published a soft cover book listing of all the Hudson dealerships I could find, over 7,300, so far. Also in the book are 25 pages of photos of Hudson Essex and Terraplane dealers.
        When possible I located and found many, many buildings similar as you have shown us. Its a lot of fun to look all the old dealerships up and Lark VIII girl, who is a genelogist, really liked looking up the dealer listings in city directories.

Husband of Lark VIII girl.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Thanks for the hist'ry lesson, Bob. That Ford dealership looks like it could open for business tomorrow. All it needs are a couple of truckloads of new cars and trucks. Craig
          You're absolutely right, Craig. The building is in good condition and it's still an excellent location. The grounds are clean and not all weed-covered or anything. From what I can gather ("rumor has it") they might have sold some new 2008 Ford products there, but not for long. I can't believe they've left the signage up, but there it is with a For Sale sign stuck in the lawn!

There are only two new-car dealers remaining in Paris: one stand-alone Chevrolet and a combination Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge right next to it, owned by the same person. Those dealerships are on the other side of U.S.150, about a half-mile east of the subject Ford property. So the Ford store is well-positioned. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Also appears to be an AMC wagon on the left wall of Paris Sales Co.
            Right, Brad; that appears to be a 1953 or 1954 Rambler wagon. (Actually, it would have to be a late 1954-production car to be an AMC product. Earlier than that, it would have been a product of Nash Motor Car Company, since AMC technically didn't exist until mid-year 1954!) BP

Comment

I think it started out when college profs & such talked about the "fat & happy" 1950's, and I remembered the 1950's I lived in, and like a fool argued with them. Any rate, for decades now I have been amused and/or dismayed by the disconnect between our newsy, literary perceptions of the prosperity of certain areas in certain times, and what it was like to really live there -- with the frame of reference that you'd have if you were from there, and had been living there all along.

As an example, while the country generally prospered in the mid-Twenties, there was a horrifying depression in agriculture (which meant cheaper food in the cities, as these things work out), that never really ended. My relatives who survived in farming were still climbing out of it 30 years later. My great-uncle, who grew up working hard but well off in the 'teens, bought his first new car in 1958, and gave my great-aunt indoor plumbing as a birthday present in 1960. His brother, my mother's father, lost his grubstake trying to establish a farm in west Michigan, and was hand-to-mouth for years as the jazz age raged and the flappers flapped, until he got established in an industrial job back home. He prospered in the 30's when you weren't supposed to (according to the profs), but never forgot that he'd failed as a farmer.

By contrast, though, rural county seats and similar crossroads towns, that existed to move farm products and serve the hinterland market, look awfully good then compared to now. Part of this must be the countryman's ability not only to get into town a la Henry Ford, but to hop on the Interstate and get to where prices are lower...but then, there was the Inter-Urban, wasn't there, and people used to come 60 miles from Bryan to Toledo to do their Christmas shopping. Wal-Mart now gets into the mix, too, since city dwellers now go out to the far suburbs to get price and product range. Amazon makes the whole comparison moot, as long as you have delivery service (and there's a whole history to that, too, going back to Montgomery Ward and RFD).

Small cities around here (big towns?) have lost enough dealerships, car and implement, in the last decade to staff a whole industry. It would be hard for a young person growing up now to picture just how important and lively those places were, 20-60 years back. There are as many people living on the same real estate as a hundred years ago, but many of them don't even realize those towns are there. Whole new country.

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                It would be hard for a young person growing up now to picture just how important and lively those places were, 20-60 years back. There are as many people living on the same real estate as a hundred years ago, but many of them don't even realize those towns are there. Whole new country.
                So true. In 1964 my father moved us city folk from Syracuse 25 miles north to Mexico, so he could follow his lifelong dream of becoming a "farmer". (In those days we didn't say 'gentleman farmer', so we just used quotes, either regular or air). Up into the late 70s we had our own movie theater,two grocery stores, large department store, two butcher shops, two feed stores, and FIVE "gas stations"- Sinclair, Gulf, Mobil, Atlantic Richfield; all full-service garages, and one country store with gas pumps operated by- honest injun- two spinster sisters. Dad eventually owned the Sinclair and one of SIX taverns, the Town Clock, drawing its name from the from the Theater directly across the street which still today has the town's large landmark clock on the campanile.

Fast forward to 20-almost-12: A new grocery came in in the late 70s, shutting out the two old ones (itself now rather outdated), dept., butcher and feed stores long gone. Theater closed about 1976 and has housed the Masons private club since (The clock was maintained and properly wound until the lone caretaker Hime Emery died in '97). All the service stations are gone- the Gulf gave way to a Lawyer's office early 80s, Mobil for a new Post Office mid 80s, Atlantic for a new bank branch in '96, and the sisters' store razed for a medical office mid-90s, after having been left vacant and deteriorating for over a decade. The Sinclair building still stands, but has been sealed up and made a C-store with gas; I still buy gas where I pumped it as a teen in the 70s, and feel the ghosts of the past there to this day.

Taverns? Still a half-dozen, although all different locations. They seem to survive per the same clientele but morph into different looks and locations. The Town Clock closed, was a flophouse for about a decade, and today has been restored to its past as an 1800s Tin Shop with government grants (which of course means it has no longer has an actual use).

As seems to be the case most places, the big gainers were the addition of TWO large chain drug stores, TWO large chain c-stores, and a skeevy 'dollar store'.

And oh yeah, the flower shop- torn down to make way for a laundromat and a McDonald's. Also served to rid us of those pesky diners like Satch's and Mimi's, and the Copper Coin, where food was cooked in ways that would give the modern elites the vapors (i.e. murdered animals cooked in fat and salt and served with bread and real butter- horrors!).

I guess, time marches on.

I may not be able to sit in front of Satch's grill and get a burger cooked on a larded grille and slathered with a half inch of mayo anymore, but at least I have a modern pharmacy to sell me pills when my health dwindles from lack of quality eatin'...
                Last edited by Bob Andrews; 12-26-2011, 08:27 PM.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

A simular situation of a new or nearly new Ford Dealership building in Herrin, Illinois stood empty for a good number of years. It may be the home of another brand now. any body know.

Comment

Well Bob! That "retired" Ford dealership looks like a great place to re-open, "Palma Motors" or, "Honest Bob's Used car sales" LOL

Thanks for the history lesson!!

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

The old Jordan Studebaker building on U.S.45 in Eldorado,Ill was demolished in the last two weeks. It had been a scrap buyer for the last several years.

Comment

Real Studebaker food

Cari and I split an enormous breaded tenderloin sandwich at the home-town Main Street Cafe in downtown Paris and then headed back east across the state line to home in central Indiana (Brownsburg, NW of Indianapolis).
                        Now you've done it! I'm starving for a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich now. It's always a toss-up when I go back to Rockford: grab a huge tenderloin or a pizza first. They don't know how to make either one here in Arizona.
                        Rick
                        Kingman, AZ

Comment

"It's always a toss-up when I go back to Rockford:"

How long ago were you in Rockford? I graduated Guilford High in 1974

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Jim, PM sent.
                            Rick
                            Kingman, AZ

Comment

The old Post Office grounds looks so odd with a swing set and basketball goal out front that I wondered what in the world was being done with it. So I inquired of a long-time school friend from Paris who still lives there and farms a BIG farm with her husband north of Paris.

She said the old Post Office had been converted to multiple living quarters, low-rent apartments if you will, and that accounts for the, shall we say, "domestic" appearance of the formerly-well-manicured grounds. Hmmmm.....

Last edited by BobPalma; 12-31-2011, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X