Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 12-06, 1906 Waltham Orient Buckboard

Craig

What is the sprocket gear for on the right, front hub? Brake?

And what is the fixture on the left side right behind the seat? A pump? For what?

This is just a masterpiece of woodworking beauty!!

Comment

Center point steering!
      No Ackerman linkage?

Comment

The sprocket would be the drive gear for an accesory speedometer. The pump is likely for pressurizing the gas tank prior to starting the engine. Once started, exhaust gas pressure would maintain the flow.

Terry

Comment

I think that car is beautiful, and I am not picking on it, but somethink about the hubs and wheels feel like a repop to me, but I could be imagining that.

Comment

There may not have been a lot left of it when found. I thought the same thing when I first saw it. The Steering linkage looks pretty lite for a car built that early. The workmanshipe still looks good.
            Klif
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
              There may not have been a lot left of it when found. I thought the same thing when I first saw it. The Steering linkage looks pretty lite for a car built that early. The workmanshipe still looks good.
              Klif

Interesting and credible speculation here. Closely looking at the front wheel with the sprocket, you can also see that the center of the wheel is larger than the other front wheel. Looks to me to be a front and back driving wheel from a bike. You have to realize that this was an era when motor driven vehicle production was in its infancy. There were no set rules or standards. I could see the sprocket being used where a pawl could be engaged between the sprocket teeth as a crude parking brake.

However, my vote would be the restoration was performed using available parts to approximate the original construction. Those nice chrome spoked rims and pneumatic tires look a little modern (and too beefy for the era) to me. I wouldn't be surprised it the car originally had dainty wooden spoked wheels and solid rubber tires.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

This one is apparently as original as it is possible to be.

Photographs of the 1906 Waltham Orient. Buckboard. Engine number 2768. Automobiles of Amelia Island. An image gallery of the 1906 Waltham Orient.

One in motion.

Waltham Manufacturing Company was a manufacturer of automobiles in Waltham, Massachusetts between 1902 and 1908.Their first car was a light model sold as the...

Terry

Comment

I agree with John after seeing the pic in Terry's post. It is a completely different wheel. Thanks.

Comment

After running a couple of errands, I came back and found Terry's post. I am big enough to admit error about the spoked wheels. Also, the one in the video seems to have pneumatic tires. Even if the original one posted on this thread has modern rims...it is a forgivable departure from the car's original rims. After more than a century...amazing that anything is left. Just think, it has survived the scrap metal drives of two world wars and "cash for clunkers!"

I love it!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Reminds me of a museum having George Washington's original axe used to chop down the cherry tree: the handle has been replaced three times and the head twice.
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                        Reminds me of a museum having George Washington's original axe used to chop down the cherry tree: the handle has been replaced three times and the head twice.
                        LOL Gary!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Could that be a bicycle sprocket? The teeth seem too squared off to me.

Terry

Comment

Gary, Now thats funny, I dont care who you are that there is funny.

I Agree with the newer comments, It is likely a restored true oldie that has used what is available to get it back on the road.....either way it is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Hard to believe that 4hp actually propels a complete car. That running video seems to take off and go just fine, especially once he adjusted the throttle up a bit. My daughters first quad I got her at 6 yrs old had about 7hp.

Comment

Working...
                            X