Dual Master Cylinder for Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Master Cylinder for Avanti?

My new car [a 66 Avanti] has a single type master cylinder and I would like to [easiest] convert it to a dual type. I'm sure it been done many times but could anyone give me some specifics on the swap or at least point me in tne right dirrection[web sites, correct search wording etc.].

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Was looking at doing this with my Daytona so I'm also interesting the answer. I would assume that the '66 Avanti II has the same exact brake system (power disc brakes).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Google is your friend:

"What I use is a Bendix brand master cylinder part # 11323. You will need two brass adapters for the Studebaker 3/16" brake line fittings. I think the two brass fitting adapters are , #7897 and #7911 Weatherhead brand. Install the adapters in the master cylinder outlets. One is larger than the other and they can only be installed one way.

Then take the existing brake line that was attached to the old master cylinder and bend it to fit into the master cylinder outlet NEAREST THE FIREWALL / BOOSTER and assemble. Next you will need five feet of 3/16 brake line. Purchase this with fittings on both ends so you will not have to make any tubing flares. At the brake distribution block locate the steel brake line going to the rear brakes. It will go back to a union beneath the front seat on the frame. Disconnect and remove this line paying attention to the frame mounting clips. Next, using patience, bend the five foot brake line to go from the front master cylinder outlet to the existing union on the frame. Run it parallel to the existing line down to the brake distribution block and then rearward to the union. When the line is finally bent to fit, install it and don't forget to use the frame mounting clips the old line used to secure it on the frame. You can use a Everco #300B (old part number) which is a 3/16 SAE inverted flare steel brake plug to fit into the opening left at the brake distribution block.

I used a mechanical brake light switch from a 1965-83 GM or Ford, General brand #31180 or Borg Warner #S-237. Mount on a plate about 3/4" x 2" long and secure with the brake pedal stop bolt. When adjusting the brake light switch don't adjust it too close to the pedal or your free play will be lost. To wire the stop light switch, solder extension wires on the existing wires and route through the firewall to the switch. All that is left is to bleed the brakes per the 1962-64 manual.

I hope this helps, Chuck Collins "

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      63 GT R2
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Just what I was looking for. Thanks JDP.

Comment

The one I used :

Item#: UP 36307
          APR07
          Price: $75.99
          Bore Size:1 1/32"

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Hope you wiped your feet before climbing on your car.lol

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
            64 Avanti R3w/NOS
            88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

When you gotta get the shot ....[:I]

Dont worry .. I only stepped on the dull areas.[]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Karl
              Hope you wiped your feet before climbing on your car.lol
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
              X