Seat belts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat belts?

It may sound stupid but, did my 1960 2 dr lark have seat belts in it?I do not remember seeing them in either car mine or the parts car.I never thought about it till now lol and I can't seem to find where to buy some either

The easiest way to check is to look at the floor under the carpet as there will be rubber plugs if the attachment nuts are welded under the car as in my 1962 Lark. They likely put the nuts there and it was up to the dealer/customer whether they were installed. I believe the factory put the belts in the trunk for the dealer to install, especially since it required holes to be cut in the carpet to access the plugs.

As for the belts, my 2010 Studebaker International Catalog has them listed on page 127.

Best wishes with your Lark
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Dan, did you get my PM about seats? Jim S.
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

If I recall correctly from reading my Popular Science magazines back "in the day", it was with the 1962 models that the U.S. car manufacturers all started to weld in attaching points for seat belts, even though the belts themselves weren't required as standard equipment until, I think, the 1967 model year. Studebaker made the belts standard equipment before some of the bigger companies did. If I'm wrong about this I'm sure someone will correct me. In any case, I don't think your 1960 car had the belt attachment points from the factory.

Dave Bonn
        '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

I know that my 59 Lark had seat belts, but they were added by the previous owner.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
            If I recall correctly from reading my Popular Science magazines back "in the day", it was with the 1962 models that the U.S. car manufacturers all started to weld in attaching points for seat belts, even though the belts themselves weren't required as standard equipment until, I think, the 1967 model year. Studebaker made the belts standard equipment before some of the bigger companies did. If I'm wrong about this I'm sure someone will correct me. In any case, I don't think your 1960 car had the belt attachment points from the factory.

Dave Bonn
            '54 Champion Starliner
            My 1962 Lark has the mtg points but no seatbelts (yet); I need to get it driveable first.
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Studebakers had optional seat belts since 1956, but they were not mandatory in US cars until 1965.
              Your build sheet will tell you if your particular car came from the factory with seat belts (to be installed by the dealer).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

~~~Lark Truck~~~,no I didn't get it. re send it if you could

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post

Dave Bonn
                  '54 Champion Starliner
                  As Gary L pointed out, 1965. That was also the year for Canada. My first car, a red 1965 Corvair Monza convertible, 140 hp 4x1 carb engine + Powerglide, had factory seat belts, as did the $50 parts car, an absolutely bare bones 65 Corvair 500 (dog dishes, rubber floor mats etc.)

As far as installing belts, not difficult as long as you have those tremendously large washers to diffuse the tug force should it ever be required (fingers crossed hoping "no")
                  Last edited by Jim B PEI; 11-20-2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Your build sheet will tell you if your particular car came from the factory with seat belts (to be installed by the dealer).
                    My Avanti's build sheet has them listed, were they also dealer installed?
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If seat belts were an option as early as 1956, does that mean that any Studebaker from that point on had factory installed attachment points, even if seatbelts were not ordered? If not and you are installing seatbelts Juilianos Street Rods has a great plate to use as a reinforcement. It is rectangle and very hefty.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        If seat belts were an option as early as 1956, does that mean that any Studebaker from that point on had factory installed attachment points, even if seatbelts were not ordered? If not and you are installing seatbelts Juilianos Street Rods has a great plate to use as a reinforcement. It is rectangle and very hefty.
                        The '61 Lark Cruiser I bought new in '61 DID NOT have seat belts or attachment points. I drilled my own holes and used the large washers that came with most belts in those days (after market).
                        I don't know if the '56 belts were factory or dealer installed, but they were a whole different animal. The outer belt attached to the rear of the door (at least for C and K models). I had a '60 Hawk with those belts, but I don't know if the door attachment points were factory installed of not.
                        Last edited by 53k; 11-20-2011, 05:16 PM.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The early Seat Belts 1956 to '58 or later, only would use ONE floor attach point per passenger, because the outboard belts were on the door. So there were no attach points at all on the cars before 1962.

I do not believe ANY Studebaker Trucks ever had nutplates in the floor for Belts, since they were not DOT required until after Studebaker was gone.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The door mounted belts started in 56 and when thru at least 1960 or 61. I just sold my last new old stock set.Click image for larger version

Name:	red.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1671094
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                            X