No announcement yet.

electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On both my 50 Studebaker and 58 Corvette, I have left the distributor alone and installed an MSD Capacative Discharge ignition system and coil. The points just trigger the MSD unit and will last forever. Read the MSD online literature for all the advantages of better spark intensity and duration. With this setup, if the MSD unit were to fail (they are however very reliable), you can easily wire it out and go back to the points. I could tell a difference in how the engines ran with no other changes. It is amazing how much easer starting is.

Comment

I've got T-Bow's distributor in both my truck and our race car. We've run the race car up to 7800 RPM and sustained 7200 RPM for over a mile. It works so well I probably won't ever use anything else.

I suggest also installing the Mallory Circuit Guard. I don't know if Dave carries that or not.

Comment

sounds great I am at their web site do you have an msn part number. Thanks K-hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
          If the distributor cam from an R1 distributor which has a P stamped into it is installed in a Prestolite single point distributor, I would suspect the the dual point Pertronix unit could be made to work. The R2 cam doesn't have enough centrifugal advance to work properly in a non R engine. As an added note, if the R1 cam is used, the spark should be advanced another 4 deg. Bud
          Bud
          Are you saying that if you run a R1-R2 grind cam in a non R1-R2 Engine you have to change the Distributor???
          Brian
          Last edited by woodysrods; 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM.
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Sorry if I'm sort of digging this up, but I did the same as over50. I bought the Accel 300+ digital ignition controller when it was on sale from Summit Racing a while back. I have a 1961 Willys Jeep wagon with a 226 Continental flathead 6, and wanted to switch to a modified HEI distributor. When I saw this controller on sale I decided to try it instead. The wiring was very simple, it just uses the points to trigger it as mentioned above. As also mentioned above, it has the advantage of being easily removed from the system if the box ever fails. It has some other bells and whistles like a rev limiter if you wanted to use it, jumpers for changing the number of cylinders (for the engine application), and also has a wire to hook up a tachometer, which I use with a cheapo tach for reference. I mounted mine on the inside of the firewall where you can't see it. It looks original as can be. I also run an Accel Super Stock ignition coil for hotter spark. It's recommended to use a hotter coil if you run one of these ignition controllers.

The difference in performance is incredible. With multiple spark ignition, it will crank faster, rev faster, and run much smoother. There are numerous other advantages as well. Because there are multiple sparks, it will actually make the points last longer because there's less power going through them. That means less load on your spark plug wires as well. Multiple sparks cause a more efficient burn, and especially with my old flathead it made one heck of a difference.

I do recommend going with the Accel unit as I'm not a big fan of MSD. Many MSD controllers are still analog, whereas Accel has been digital right off the bat. The reason I shy away from MSD is due to word of mouth from a buddy of mine that builds drag cars and has reported failures on his cars and others. Of course any controller can fail, and others' experience will vary.

As far as reliability goes, I always carry an extra set of points in all my vehicles that use points. It doesn't take long to swap them out in the parking lot or on the side of the road if needed, and I have had to more than once...
            Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

If you want to go with a capacitive discharge system, Summit Racing sells a digital unit under their own name a good bit less expensive than MSD, Mallory, Accel or others.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Is there a part # and a price range available for this Accel 300+ and the Accel Super stock coil???
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

The Accel 300+ digital ignition controller is part number 49300, $189.95 at Summit but I got it on sale for $99.95 a couple years ago. Their canister style Superstock coils are part number 8140 or 8145 (slightly hotter), or for the chrome variants 8140C or 8145C. They range from $33-45 at Summit. You can also order these parts from Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc, and may actually find them cheaper ordering through those local stores.

Comment

I have used the petronix set up no problems, I have used the MSD 6a with points you can FEEL THE DIFFRENCE the first time was 1983 , on my 68Olds 442 W 30 and I do have a igntion scope and you see 3 distinct sparks at each plug, no problems, I used the factory Mopar ignition and chargeing systems on my 64 Hawk PINA to install but for over 20 plus years no problems, but when I installed points over the years on a daily basis on a 4000 car and truck fleet PROBLEMS,I would always get a set of points that would fail to work, I hope this information will help , but does anyone use a distribtorless system on there Stude?
                    Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Aftermarket ignitions have improved so far over the years it's difficult to say which might be best. I remember back in the 1970's I installed an optical type ignition in the '63 Avanti I owned at the time. I don't remember the brand name of the system but it ran fine...for a year. Then the car suddenly began "skipping a beat" for lack of a better term. The engine would simply stop for a second then run fine...this was very random but regular enough.

I re-installed points and condenser and removed the optical system. No more problem.

Ignitions today have greatly improved...I don't believe the brand matters too much...all systems do the same thing but maybe by different methods. That doesn't mean some duds don't come along...such as GM's infamous OptiSpark. It had its problems before finally getting sorted out. Mallory's Unilite is prone to voltage spike blowouts if not equipped with the optional voltage spike filter.

While I certainly appreciate the overall superiority of electronic ignitions, sometimes simpler is better and old technology can certainly get the job done. Too often I've violated the adage "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!"
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks Guys
                        This has been a good dicussion.
                        I am getting ready to clean up and rebiuld my stock distributor and will definitely be looking into installing the Accel 300+ unit.
                        I have a new plug wire set, points, condeneser, (and a coil that I guess I can't use) but will carry as a spare if I have to remove the Accel unit and their "Superstock coil along the road.
                        Anything else I need to know before I install this unit??
                        Good Roads
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Originally posted by BobWaitz View Post
                          I've got T-Bow's distributor in both my truck and our race car. We've run the race car up to 7800 RPM and sustained 7200 RPM for over a mile. It works so well I probably won't ever use anything else.

I suggest also installing the Mallory Circuit Guard. I don't know if Dave carries that or not.

Is this part really needed with the Accel 300 + and the Super Stock coil # 8140?
                          When you open this link, it also shows a balast resister and other stuff that are normally sold with this item??
                          What all do you need??
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

I believe the Mallory Circuit guard is intended to be used with their Unilite line of distributors, which can be blown out by voltage spikes. Unless Dave T-Bow is using Unilites the circuit guard shouldn't be necessary.

Comment

Gosh, mine (studebaker)already has electronic ignition.......from the FACTORY.....why switch?
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

UniLite is what T-Bow sent me. They should be recurved for use with R2's
                                Jim
                                Often in error, never in doubt
                                http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X