Thread: FOR SALE: 1963 Studebaker Avanti R-2 Supercharged BARN FIND

Champion Member

Talking FOR SALE: 1963 Studebaker Avanti R-2 Supercharged BARN FIND

Hey Guys,

I'm normally a Buick Reatta guy, but my grandfather recently sold a building he owns, and I've been put in change of marketing a few of the cars in there.

One he needs to get rid of is a '63 R-2 Supercharged Avanti.

I'm going to try to get some pictures up tomorrow or Tuesday, but here's what I've got on the car:

R-2 supercharged 4-speed, but currently, the Paxton supercharger is not on the car (but will come with the car).
    almost brand new, high quality, bight red paint put on before it was parked. Under the dust accumulated from the 6 or 7 years in storage, it shines like new.
    This car come with ALL the documentation from the day the original owner wrote a letter to the Studebaker company requesting more info on Avantis. It will all come in a thick file folder with build sheets, letters, maintenance receipts, etc.

The car has been sitting for 6 or 7 years, and thus has become very dirty. A weekend of soap and water would do wonders to the car.

It was running when parked, and probably with some fresh gas, and a hot battery would start again.

We're asking $15,000

This car is ideal for full restoration, or just to fix up and use as a weekend driver. Just needs a little TLC, and a new owner!

Again, I will try to get some pictures up before mid-week, but until then, you can contact me by email (Marck@EastCoastReattaParts.com), or call me at 919.233.1973.

Or you can call my grandfather Bob at 919.614.4018.

My grandfather has been into Avantis for 40+ years, and has owned dozens upon dozens. He's down to 4 now, a '69 Chevy powered 4-speed, an '87 convertible, and then two '62 R-2s. This is one of them. He recently sold a '63 with an R-4 in it to a guy that was going to make an E-vanti (electric Avanti), so he removed the R-4, and has it sitting in his garage.
    If you'd just like to talk Avantis, I'm sure he'd love to talk to you about that too.

Thanks! and if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here too. I will do my best to answer them.

-- Marck Barker

P.S. for anyone who might be interested, I'm trying to sell a 1969 Samco Cord. A fiberglass reproduction of the Cords out of the 30s. This one is blue and powered by a 440 Chrysler.
    Last edited by TWO-63-R2; 11-06-2011 at 10:12 PM.

I'm sure there's a number of us here that would like to hear more about that R4 motor. Surely your dad knows what's what with it. Could you get him to share?

Champion Member
    The R-4 has been confirmed as a true R4 (block, head, numbers match. As to the carbs). He found it in pieces in several different places up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. He found all the pieces, and put it all together in the mid-70s.

While it never came in an Avanti from the factory it's still an R4 nonetheless.

I can give what info I'm able to give, but to really get the lowdown, it would be best to talk to him.

Jeff,
    I'll have to talk to my grandfather and see what he has on tap for Thursday. Most of his stuff is scatter around at his house, and two buildings he owns. All of which are about an hour north of Raleigh.

Working on some pictures now of the R-2 S/C

Champion Member
    Uploading pictures of the R-2 as we speak..

In the meantime, some pictures of the R-4

Enjoy!
    Last edited by TWO-63-R2; 11-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Champion Member
    Pictures of the Red '63 R-2 S/C 4-speed for sale:

This is a spot I cleaned up so you can see how nice the paint is under the dust.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWO-63-R2 View Post
    Uploading pictures of the R-2 as we speak..

In the meantime, some pictures of the R-4

Enjoy!
    Only one picture showed up (3rd from last) - would sure like to see the rest.

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrnec View Post
    Only one picture showed up (3rd from last) - would sure like to see the rest.
    Ok, I think I fixed it.. Is it working for you now?

Yup! I see them.

President Member
    Sweet. That would look great cleaned up and in my Lark!!!

Speedster Member
    Do you have a pix of engine number

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prez55 View Post
    Do you have a pix of engine number
    For the R-2? No not yet. Though I am confident it's an R-2 supercharged.

I will call my grandfather tomorrow and see if he's got it written down somewhere.

I'm getting a lot more interest on the R-4 than I am on the car I'm trying to sell.. Anyone interested in a nice Avanti?

Champion Member

Re: R-4

Alright guys, here's a little more info on the R-4.. Perhaps I should just start a new thread!

Here we go..

I've had questions regarding the block number. And sadly, I cannot give you the block number because it doesn't have one.

When my grandfather bought this engine, it was in pieces, outside in the Blue Ridge Mountains (Max Meadows, VA area).
    He bought all the original pieces including the original block. But the block had been sitting outside, and naturally got rained in. Therefore it was pretty much trash.

He bought a new block that was with no numbers on it (like the dealer would install and cast your old numbers on), rebored it, and put all the guts in there.

Truett Ray (don't know if you guys know him or not) and my grandfather blueprinted the engine and built the whole thing in his garage in the evenings after work. everything was precision built by them.

The pistons, crankshaft, everything other than the block are original R-4 parts. And the block was bored exactly to spec by a well known racing shop in Durham, NC.

If people would like to make me offers on the R-4, I am open. Make me an offer I just cannot resist.

Although, I'm still debating weather I really want to sell it or not.

Hope this helps some!

Too bad they left the window open for years...
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

President Member
    Could well have been closed - mildew will make an interior look like that if it's stored in a damp environment.

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrnec View Post
    Could well have been closed - mildew will make an interior look like that if it's stored in a damp environment.
    Windows were closed most of the way before I took the pictures. Environment is a little damp.

President Member
    Others here are more much knowledgable than myself and may disagree, but to garnish any real interest on the Avanti at the quoted price I would say you are going to have to clean it up as well as getting it at least driveway operable. It does look like a nice car under the dust and mildew that could be an easy sale once cleaned. The R-4 is great. hopefully it will go to a loving home. Best of luck, Steve

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Others here are more much knowledgable than myself and may disagree, but to garnish any real interest on the Avanti at the quoted price I would say you are going to have to clean it up as well as getting it at least driveway operable. It does look like a nice car under the dust and mildew that could be an easy sale once cleaned. The R-4 is great. hopefully it will go to a loving home. Best of luck, Steve
    Thanks for the input, Steve!

we need to get rid of it pretty quickly, and the women folk don't want the car at the house.. Maybe we can get some cleaning materials up there can give it a little bit of cleaning up!

The Avanti looks like a flood car.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LStratton View Post
    The Avanti looks like a flood car.
    Not sure I see a high water mark so I'm not seeing that but I'm surprised that no one has asked for a set of shots of the chassis and hog troughs.

I certainly agree with Steve that a cleanup would make it a much more presentable car.

In any case, an original four-speed, cleaned up, with decent underpinnings should draw pretty decent money.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    Anyone get the chassis number?
    Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    Not sure I see a high water mark so I'm not seeing that but I'm surprised that no one has asked for a set of shots of the chassis and hog troughs.

I certainly agree with Steve that a cleanup would make it a much more presentable car.

In any case, an original four-speed, cleaned up, with decent underpinnings should draw pretty decent money.

Bob
    The Avanti is NOT a flood car. I can confirm that. The weather stripping was removed when the car was painted, and after it was painted, it sat outside for a year or so.

This is just what a car looks like when it hasn't had much loving car in about a decade, and it's had some moisture in it. And it has had moisture in it, I will not deny that.

I can't believe I forgot pictures of the hog troughs! I knew I was forgetting something..
    I will try to get some pictures of that soon, but as far as I know, this has been a NC/southeastern car all it's life.

I'm open to offers on the car.

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    Anyone get the chassis number?
    Bob, I got your email, I'm working on getting the chassis number for you.

President Member
    Thank you....... Body tag is by the hood latch too,
    Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Champion Member
    Bump! We're open to any and all offers on the '63 R-2 4-speed Superchared Avanti, as well as the R-4.

Hit me with some offers! The worst I can say is no!

I offer 1 1989 Dodge Sport Convertable Pickup once owned by Bob Murray for the R/4.
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

[/URL]
    [/URL]

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamajak View Post
    I offer 1 1989 Dodge Sport Convertable Pickup once owned by Bob Murray for the R/4.
    Very funny, Jack.. Maybe the Dakota and the Studemino.. You'd have to talk with him about that, though.

Bump! We're open to any and all offers on the '63 R-2 4-speed Superchared Avanti, as well as the R-4.

Hit me with some offers! The worst I can say is no!
    Be sure not to get mad if you don't get as many offers from the forum as you think you should. Remember that this is a small fraction of the Studebaker world, and a tiny fraction of the market overall. If you don't sell either here, I always recommend a quality eBay listing- cleaned up items, clear pictures, thorough/accurate description, $100 opening bid with reserve, like a real auction. If they don't sell, you will at least know the true current market value, and can decide from there what to do. Keep in mind the current economy and that this is the worst time of year to sell when you set your reserve.

You have two very desirable items. You will just need to keep upping your marketing effort until they sell.
    Proud NON-CASO I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln GOD BLESS AMERICAEphesians 6:10-17Romans 15:13Deuteronomy 31:6Proverbs 28:1 Illegitimi non carborundum

Speedster Member
    With all due respect I think this is probably the wrong place to try to sell either the engine or the Avanti. I would clean the car up, and put it on ebay with a minimum of what you will take reserve. I think you will have a much better chance of getting a decent price.

Believe me, if Santa didn't have to come next month and finances were better, I would make an offer on the Avanti.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"

President Member
    Can you give us a ballpark figure on the R4?

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5859 View Post
    With all due respect I think this is probably the wrong place to try to sell either the engine or the Avanti. I would clean the car up, and put it on ebay with a minimum of what you will take reserve. I think you will have a much better chance of getting a decent price.
    Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm well aware of the other markets out there, I just thought I'd put it out there to the Studebaker guys first to see if any of you guys were interested before I put stuff on the market full speed.

I've dealt with eBay before selling Reattas, and I've found that you don't really get the right sort of customer there. My top bids on the last car I was selling were half of what the car was worth, and $3,500 less than I had in the car. I've had the best luck with Hemmings, and I'll probably be putting an ad in there in a week or two.

Thanks everyone!

I know someone looking for an Avanti...he runs a restoration shop and has wanted one for years. I'll give him your contact information and from then it's up to him.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm well aware of the other markets out there, I just thought I'd put it out there to the Studebaker guys first to see if any of you guys were interested before I put stuff on the market full speed.

I've dealt with eBay before selling Reattas, and I've found that you don't really get the right sort of customer there. My top bids on the last car I was selling were half of what the car was worth, and $3,500 less than I had in the car. I've had the best luck with Hemmings, and I'll probably be putting an ad in there in a week or two.

Thanks everyone!
    have to disagree a bit with your ebay thoughts... i got a (very) little bit more than i paid for the '40 when i sold it on ebay, but nothing close to what i "had in it" in blood, sweat & tears, maintenance parts, etc... i was very fortunate that i found a buyer at the correct time i listed it. just look at all the "completed listings" for studebakers and you'll see that many great ones don't sell at first... BTW, i took a "bath" on the avanti i had listed on craigslist, counting the initial cost and parts only. a guy in florida saw my local listing on that one...

in total agreement with bams and others to start the price low (but maybe a bit more than $100, for yours) with a reserve you can live with. and by all means, clean it up!!! also make sure she runs, drives and stops - if you're looking for your price...

i always think of hemming's ads as more of a longer term situation than a quick sale.

many others have had much more experience (like JDP) in selling studes on ebay than i have, (i was a corvette guy for years). so no problem if you take my advice with a grain or two of salt...

good luck!!!
    Kerry

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. [IMG][/IMG] '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.[IMG][/IMG]

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvanti View Post
    have to disagree a bit with your ebay thoughts... i got a (very) little bit more than i paid for the '40 when i sold it on ebay, but nothing close to what i "had in it" in blood, sweat & tears, maintenance parts, etc... i was very fortunate that i found a buyer at the correct time i listed it. just look at all the "completed listings" for studebakers and you'll see that many great ones don't sell at first... BTW, i took a "bath" on the avanti i had listed on craigslist, counting the initial cost and parts only. a guy in florida saw my local listing on that one...

in total agreement with bams and others to start the price low (but maybe a bit more than $100, for yours) with a reserve you can live with. and by all means, clean it up!!! also make sure she runs, drives and stops - if you're looking for your price...

i always think of hemming's ads as more of a longer term situation than a quick sale.

many others have had much more experience (like JDP) in selling studes on ebay than i have, (i was a corvette guy for years). so no problem if you take my advice with a grain or two of salt...

good luck!!!
    Thanks for the input. I don't know weather the price is high or not to tell you the truth. I'm just posting what my grandfather said to put up. He hasn't been extremely active in the SDC in the last 5-8 years or so, so his estimated prices may be off a bit.

This is why I said I was open to offers. The car is an original R-2 4 speed car with every last bit of paperwork that you could ever get on a car. New paint, and the engine was running when parked.
    My grandfather has owned the car for probably close to 14 years or more. He's always been meticulous with keeping his cars in excellent mechanical shape.

I'll do my best to try to get the car cleaned up and running, but we A) don't have a flat bed trailer rig to tow the thing to work on it at the shop. B) have running water at the storage facility, and C) have a lot of time on our hands to get the thing cleaned up and running.

The undercharge (hog troughs, etc) passed my grandfather's very high standards, of which, Jack might know about.

I am open to offers as is, where is.

wish i could do something, but health issues/dr. bills have taken me out of the market for at least a few months...

BTW, my daughter is a jr. at UNC-CH. haven't been able to get up there for awhile. is all that construction completed on I-40/440? ha!

President Member
    Any input on what you are looking for on these two items?
    rough ballpark # might help us decide

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
    Any input on what you are looking for on these two items?
    rough ballpark # might help us decide
    Asking $15k for the R-2 S/C Avanti, and $16k for the R-4. Open to any and all offers.

Speedster Member
    Studebaker car and part prices seem to be down as late. My feeling is that the car as pictured would be hard to go over $10,000 on E-bay. Cleaned up, road ready with the supercharger working it would be $15,000 or more car. The R-4 value is a question mark as they don't come up for sale often enough to establish a value. I don't want to anger anyone. The opinions are just that and are only mine.

Ken

President Member
    As a point of comparison, take a look at this current offering on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...item35b6f01f2c

This is a very nice car, well presented with the correct R-2 equipment (at least as far as I can tell--I'm by no means an expert at anything related to Studebakers). The seller has excellent feedback. The price is very close to what you are asking--and it is buy it now.

I'm just trying to be helpful--I'm in no position to buy your car even if you were to practically give it away to me (no storage, other projects, etc.) When the car was first parked, it was probably worth a lot closer to your asking price. Cleaning it up would help improve that price--but you have rust pitted chrome in the interior, the supercharger isn't on it, mildew on the interior panels. These factors have an impact on the value. I'm thinking Ken is probably being generous with the $10k mark.

It may be worthwhile to pay someone to detail the car--I'm sure that you would recoup the expenses for that when selling it.

I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended--I'd like to see that car back on the road making someone happy, and I'd like to see you get decent money for it as well.
    Last edited by dnevin; 11-15-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: to fix typo
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog