Stewart Warner Tachometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart Warner Tachometers

It's my understanding that Stewart Warner supplied the instumentation to Studebaker for modes so equipped with special instruments, I think beginning with the 1955 President Speedster. If I'm not mistaken, on the Speedster it was an 8,000 RPM tach without a redline. Were any of the so equipped models provided with other than 8,000 RPM , unredlined units? Was there any other provider? Thanks

Most of the tachometers were 6,000 RPM units. The 8,000 tachometer was a total joke, as the valves floated between 4,500 and 5,000 on most standard Stude V8s. All I remember were S-W.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I don't know about a joke but I own a Speedster and have to wonder if anyone ever attained the very optomistic 160MPH speed on the SW speedometer? I do know that on bias-ply tires with drum brakes I wouldnt want to be aboard for a top speed run. I do wonder what the RPMs would be at 160 MPH??

Makes you think, eh
      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I'd amazed to see a stock Speedster hit 105 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          I'd amazed to see a stock Speedster hit 105 mph.
          Oh Oh! Sounds like a challenge to me???
          So look out and hold on!
          Good Roads
          Brian
          PS Avanti 150 lb valve springs?
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Stall, thanks for the reply. Is the tach in your Speedster an 8,000 RPM S/W without a redline ? Carcrossword Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
              It's my understanding that Stewart Warner supplied the instumentation to Studebaker for modes so equipped with special instruments, I think beginning with the 1955 President Speedster. If I'm not mistaken, on the Speedster it was an 8,000 RPM tach without a redline. Were any of the so equipped models provided with other than 8,000 RPM , unredlined units? Was there any other provider? Thanks
              [[[11.7.11 Updated and re-posted to include "new" information just uncovered]]]

Just when you thought you had Studebaker Corp. all figured out, you open another door and find more "skeletons"!!!

So Dan, here is the latest I can offer:

Studebaker installed Tachs (p/n 536833) in "Speedsters" during production. Those Tachs were supplied by Stewart-Warner Corp., had all WHITE face markings, had fields wound for 6V. and an RPM indicator range of 0-80(00).

Studebaker installed Tachs (p/n 1539881) in '56 thru '58 Studebaker cars, including Packard Hawk. These Tachs were also supplied by Stewart-Warner Corp., had all WHITE face markings, had fields wound for 12V., had an RPM indicator range of 0-60(00) and had a DIFFERENT style of lettering/numbering.

Now for those skeletons…

On occasion Studebaker Parts Dept. (SASCO) ran short of the original "Speedster" Tachs, they would simply send Stewart-Warner some of the newer (p/n 1539881) Tachs and have them re-wound for 6V. Then they would bring them back in and sell them as "Speedster" Tachs, p/n 536833. No problem you say!

BUT …on these "re-worked" Tachs all the lettering/numbering on the FACE remained the same as did the RPM range. So some "Speedster" Tachs sold by Studebaker Parts Dept. (SASCO) as p/n 536883, will have DIFFERENT style lettering/numbering and have a RPM indicator range of 0-60(00) !!!

IF …you need to substantiate why your Tach may be "different," PM me with your email address and I’ll try to send you a copy of Studebaker’s internal correspondence authorizing the reworked & sale of those half-breed Tachs.
              Last edited by Welcome; 11-07-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Welcome, thank you very much for a very comprehensive answer. I was fairly certain original "Speedster" tachs were 8,000 RPM units. I'm currently trying to figure out how optional tachs were nounted in cars normally without the instumentation package. I am still looking for the answer to the redlin issue. I'm of the opinion that none of the tachs had redlines. You agree?
                Thanks,
                CarCrossword Dan

Comment

Speedster Tach

I bought my first Speedster back in 1960. I don't believe that it had a redline. I remember a trip to Nevada a long time ago I got it up to 107 mph on a nice straight flat stretch of road. I don't think you could get it over 5,000 rpm.

Comment

/Cut/ I'm currently trying to figure out how optional tachs were nounted in cars normally without the instumentation package./Cut/
                    There were never on any year of Studebaker, ANY kind of "instrumentation package".

There were no "optional" Tachs for '55's since the Standard dash had no provision for one, and the Speedsters all had one.

The only actual advertised for sale as factory or dealer installed OPTION of a Tach, would be the '63 and '64 Lark Types, and the '56 to '64 Hawks and some heavy Diesel Trucks.

So your search will be easy...it's over.

Also, Studebaker did not start using SW instruments in '55, they always used them in all of their Vehicles.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-08-2011, 06:45 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes Dan, Its 8000 RPM without a redline. I can only imagine the mechanical noise at 8K RPM. I'm pretty sure its very - very optomistic
                      murray

Stall, thanks for the reply. Is the tach in your Speedster an 8,000 RPM S/W without a redline ? Carcrossword Dan
                      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Working...
                      X