horn button/ ring removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
    So if you are going to pull the horn ring to replate it, cut off the horn wire and leave in the column so that a new wire can be routed later? I have a '64.
    Everyone; please note that when you enter a new post on an existing String about a different year and model, a LOT of things can change.

(1) The horn button type in discussion here is the "Basic" type steering wheel which uses a Horn "Button".
    (2) If you have a Model with a Horn "Ring" everything changes, the Trim "Button" is held in by an "O" Ring.
    (3) If you have a newer model '61 and up, the horn wire does not go through the steering shaft, it exits under the dash with the Turn signal wires.

So in the case of a '64 I would NOT cut anything, the wire unplugs at both ends but must be carefully removed through the column and it's a very tight fit usually better done by removing the Wheel and all the wires which would be on Column Automatic Trans. Cars, the Shift Dial Light wire and all of the Turn Signal harness wires, and Stop Light wires with the horn wire to prevent damage.

Also, the late type do not get any twisting action and I have never seen one fail.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X