Thread: 3/4 ton rims

President Member

3/4 ton rims

I am still one rim short on my 2R10. Yesterday at Bob's house while I was picking up my 289 we were talking about a few of the Studes and parts he had. There was the remanants of a later model 3/4 ton truck. Bob said the truck was about a '56 or so and that it had the same 6 x 7.25 bolt pattern rims but that they were NOT the 2 piece style but they were tubeless.

I asked for help last week on finding a good 2 piece rim and a few of you had an idea or two but none have panned out. I would be happy with the newer tubless rims if I could find them. I would actually love a set.

Does anyone have, or know somewhere I can find 2 or more of the later tubless 6x7.25 rims?

Even with 2 I can use then on the rear and 2 of mine on the front until I find a way to do what I want to do.

PS. not asking for them for free....just looking for help finding any rims I can match up.
    After recieving a free motor do I always have to preface my request for parts help with "I am willing to pay"?
    Last edited by kmac530; 10-18-2011 at 08:19 PM.

President Member
    Rims like these:

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nl...7_22903573.jpg

What year is this truck? I believe it is a Transtar, correct? In my search it says 1955 3/4 ton. I want these.....

Alan, I will call the contact you gave a little later today, I hate phone calls too early.

Silver Hawk Member
    IIRC, they're just flat steel plate welded into drop center rims.

There was the remanants of a later model 3/4 ton truck. Bob said the truck was about a '56 or so and that it had the same 6 x 7.25 bolt pattern rims but that they were NOT the 2 piece style but they were tubeless.
    I'm still interested in seeing one of the tubeless 6-hole 7.25" wheels. It is to be hoped they exist, but I've never in fifty years seen them. Did you actually examine the wheels or just hear of them from Bob? Again, IIRC, the early '56 3/4t single rear wheel trucks had a Dana 60 rear axle with the old Timken brakes and 6-hole Budd wheels. In mid '56, the SRWs changed to, IMHO, the much less attractive Ford/Dodge 8-lug brakes and wheels, which were used through '64. The 1t dual wheel C-cabs used the different offset 6-hole wheels through '64.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    I found a picture of one online after Bob told me they existed. I will se if I can find it.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nl...7_22903573.jpg

There

President Member
    You can see a wheel weight on the lip of the rim and a hump down the center for the tire to be able to drop into to change tires. Definately a one piece tubless rim. Not sure if it is a stock rim from a Stude, but it is a 6x7.25 tubeless...I need some.

Silver Hawk Member
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, those look like custom rims made up with a flat steel plate center. I'm betting they aren't OEM Stude wheels. Over on the truck site, Frank in Germany had some similar wheels made up. Most any custom wheel company can fab them, but they won't look like the real deal.

jack vines, who's run the OEM two-piece Budd wheels for thirty years and hopes to run them for thirty more.
    PackardV8

Kelly, lookin' at the parts book, the closest thing that Stude used was a 17&1/2" X 5&1/4" wheel. And that was first used in 1956. That may be what's on the '55 you gave a link to. I would be willing to bet that a wheel such as you seek WAS made and used in the 50s - just not by Studebaker. There's a fella what hangs out on the Studebaker Truck Talk forum that really knows vintage wheels. He might be able to steer you to what you want. Jack's assessment of those wheels might be right too. They do look kinda funky.

After giving it some thought, I recall now that that '56 3/4 ton I parted out had 8-lug wheels on it. Looking at the parts book again, the '56s used 8-lugs. It appears there were some one tons that used a six-lug tubeless wheel, but again, theyh were 17&1/2. Sorry to have gotten your hopes up, but it's been at least three years since I scrapped out that truck. I kept the cab and front metal, but let the scrap guys dice up the rest. There's been a cople of instances where I've regretted letting them do that, but I'm not gettin' any younger and no one's in any hurry have any of it - not unless it's pristine and cheap.
    I think it would've been a heck of alot easier to build my workbench on a truck frame rather than the Cruiser frame I used, but it still came out alright.
    Last edited by Roscomacaw; 10-19-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: errors

President Member
    Your cruiser work bench was awesome Bob.

I would take any rims at this point.
    I just went to register my truck and they told me I have to get it weighed and I can not have it weighed on a trailer even if I come back and weigh the trailer by itself. So I have to get it rolling very soon. to finish getting it plated. Always something with old vehicles isn't it.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, those look like custom rims made up with a flat steel plate center. I'm betting they aren't OEM Stude wheels. Over on the truck site, Frank in Germany had some similar wheels made up. Most any custom wheel company can fab them, but they won't look like the real deal.

jack vines, who's run the OEM two-piece Budd wheels for thirty years and hopes to run them for thirty more.
    Mr. Vines, I will be happy to run the 2 piece rims, if I could only find one more to make up my set. My truck has some odd ball off of a dually or something. It is the same 6x7.25 bolt pattern but it is much more back spaced and 3 of the lug nut dimples taper inward and 3 taper OUTWARD, so Im guessing they are from a dually and that helps key the dual rims together...I still just need one 16" 6x7.25 rim from an early 50s 2R10 truck.

Or 2 matching 6x7.25 rims of any size since I am going to be running bigger tires on the rear so matching does not matter to me.

Any Ideas?
    Last edited by kmac530; 10-19-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Silver Hawk Member
    With a WTB here and on the truck forum, I'm a bit surprised no one has offered wheels for sale. They are usually pretty easy to find, albiet needing sandblasting and powdercoating.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    With a WTB here and on the truck forum, I'm a bit surprised no one has offered wheels for sale. They are usually pretty easy to find, albiet needing sandblasting and powdercoating.

jack vines
    Hey Jack,
    I do not see a truck specific forum here on SDC. If there is one I would appreciate info on how to get to it. Is there a classified add section here on SDC? I have only posted a request for a rim here in General Discussion since I have not seen any other forum sections that seemed pertenant.

I would appreciate any direction you may have, I am newer here and have not found all that this site has to offer I am sure, not to mention the fact that I am computer illiterate and overall a knucklehead...lol

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kelly

Not an official SDC forum truck site, but here is where the Stude truck guys hang out:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac530 View Post
    /Cut/It is the same 6x7.25 bolt pattern but it is much more back spaced and 3 of the lug nut dimples taper inward and 3 taper OUTWARD, so Im guessing they are from a dually and that helps key the dual rims together.../Cut/
    The "coined" lug nut pocket wheels are for a 1 Ton Dually Ford.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
    Not an official SDC forum truck site, but here is where the Stude truck guys hang out:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Studedude, thanks for that link. I have no idea how to get there without using your link but at least I have a link now.

Rich, thanks for the info

Googleing Studebaker truck forum takes you right there.
    Don Wilson
    53 Commander Hardtop
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA

There is an ad in the local Tulsa club

Wanted;
    15" wheels needed for a '55 truck, these are fancier than originals. A set is needed with 4.5 bolt patern
    contact Bob Canada at , ----- well just contact me thru this forum, he probably doesnt want his e-mail addy published here.

I have never seen these wheels, does anyone have a pic of them?
    I think a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.

President Member
    Well still NO bites on a useable rim anywhere. I have called every person that some of you PMed me numbers for and posted on the truck forum that Dave Lester posted the link to. Still ZIP, Zero, Zilch, Nada, nothin.

If anyone has any more Ideas or options, PLEASE let me know. I dont even care about drop centers anymore just a stock 2 piece even. Just to clarify again, not looking for a freebie or some special deep deal thing. Just a useable rim.

Desperation is ugly. I feel like the fat wall flower at the prom....lol

Now if your not in a hurry a buddy of mine may be able to fix you up but it won't be till spring because his truck is still sitting on them for the winter.
    [IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1952 2R6

President Member
    Obviously I will have to wait if I cant find one before then, lol. No options really.
    I am hoping to find one sooner than later though. I need to tow my truck down to a local scale for my registration and it has to roll on and off of the trailer and onto the scale on its own. I can not weigh it on the trailer then come back and weigh the trailer later. It HAS to roll on and off of the scale on its own wheels according to the dmv. It does not have to run but it must be complete overall and roll to get the weight cert for registration.

I am hoping to flat tow it just with a tow bar so I need the last rim. I have 4 useable tires and 4 new tubes and 3 rims. I have a 4th rim but the back space is so much more it would not be safe to tow it at all because it would want to pull the steering left or right too bad.

At this point I would even take another Ford coined dually wheel to match my oddball so I could have 2 n 2 temporarily.

Keep the feelers out folks. As always, thanks.

I have to wonder if the dMV would accept Studebaker specs on your model Stude as the official weight. I've got some factory 2R spec sheets around here someplace. Surely they wouldn't think the thing GAINED weight in 60 years!

I don't know why they wouldn't.....I have <g>
    [IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1952 2R6

President Member
    Does rust weigh more or less?

The problem with the weight is that I have NO title so they are creating a new one, thus it needs a weight certificate, actual weight. I agree it should be the same as every other 2R10.....with a V8 hehehe.

The title will still be '52 Stude 2r10, so I am not gonna cry about a $10 weight cert, it is just getting it there.
    Bottom line, I need a rim.
    If things go well I am looking at gettin it driveable in a few {+ or -, more + than - } weeks, so weight cert issue or not, I will need a rim.

President Member
    So after Roscomac and 2R5's comments I went out and looked at my truck. It still has the 2 ID plates in the left door running board area. The one you look straight at has the ID number or serial number and right on it is the weight rating that says "max gross weight 6100"
    I dont see the problem.
    I need to stop back by my regestration guy and see.

Speedster Member
    "Max Gross Weight" refers to how much the manufacturer rated the combined weight of the truck and cargo for the original equipment springs and tires. It is not the weight of the truck itself, which is what the DMV no doubt wants.

Silver Hawk Member
    Most Studebaker V8 3/4ts weigh right at 4,000# with the dealer-installed diamond plate rear bumper..

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlewis View Post
    "Max Gross Weight" refers to how much the manufacturer rated the combined weight of the truck and cargo for the original equipment springs and tires. It is not the weight of the truck itself, which is what the DMV no doubt wants.
    I understand what GVW is. My point would be that the DMV wants GVW so they can road tax the capacity of a truck. The road tax is based on what you can do on the road, and the damage that causes.

Even if it is pure truck weight they want, I dont care if they use the GVW, it just means a few more dollars on my registration renewal each year...very little at the difference of the 4100# to 6100# point.

President Member
    Kelly, try an ad in the Studebaker Swap Page here http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

You can also, now your a member, get a free ad once a year in Turning Wheels. Maybe things will pop for you on this & you'll end up with 2 wheels so you'll have a spare too!

Speaking of spares, I need a wheel for my 62 Champ 3/4 ton. And one stainless steel hub cap. I looked when this thread started so I could loan you one of mine but mine are 8 lug wheels where you need a 6 lug.
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

President Member
    Warren you are the man. It looks like a guy named Doug Yates has 2 in Ohio. $15 ea. Now just the price of busting off the old tires, shipping, and a few bucks for him taking care of that stuff....gonna be a bit pricey, but I need them and I appreciate his help as well as everyones input. A few good leads but nothing until that link to the swap site...Hopefully it will work out and be right.

Hey! This is good news! I had a coupla leads workin', but I can drop them now. If the seller's willing to take them by a Greyhound station, they'll travel to the station closest to you for fairly cheap. And quick too.

President Member
    I never thought of that for shipping. How does that work?
    I already looked it up on usps- $38, fed ex $48, ups $58....each.

Like I said - it takes you and he both willing to go to the nearest bus terminal since Greyhound doesn't deliver to your door. If they're not all grungy-filthy, he might get away with shipping them bare with your contact info on them. I've also just wrapped something up in an old sheet or maybe really heavy paper. Or boxes would work too. They almost always beat the other three shippers you quoted. Of course, they don't have to field a fleet of delivery trucks either!

President Member
    I will definately look into that. Thanks for the heads up Bob. I am looking at an easy $200 to get them here even if he is generous with his time for handling them.
    They will be the most expensive $15 part I ever bought lol.