No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whenever I see that picture of the Keenan Motors used car lot, I wonder about the fairly large number of imports, mostly sports cars, on that lot. Do you reckon folks traded them in on Avantis, GT Hawks, Daytonas or maybe the kids started coming along they needed the room of a Cruiser.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
      Whenever I see that picture of the Keenan Motors used car lot, I wonder about the fairly large number of imports, mostly sports cars, on that lot. Do you reckon folks traded them in on Avantis, GT Hawks, Daytonas or maybe the kids started coming along they needed the room of a Cruiser.
      Joe, it depends on how many cars that dealer bought at the auction. Most new-car dealers, and I suspect even more Studebaker dealers back in the day, depend on used car sales to make their nut.

A dealer may be able to identify a niche market for some oddball cars and buy 'em cheap at the auction for resale on his used-car lot.

My Dad did that with 1949-1951 Willys Jeepsters circa 1954-1955. He found a good market for them in rural Paris IL and was able to buy them cheap enough at the auction, so he bought and sold several of them...but they all came from the auction, not as trade-ins. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• B-36s and a Studebaker
        at Carswell AFB,, Ft. Worth, Texas 1949.
        See if you can find it.....
        Click on photo for a larger image.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by JBOYLE; 07-12-2012, 08:45 AM.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• Can only hope some of these arent repeats .

Comment

• Comment

• Look at the second photo here...

Two-tone 59-60 Lark in back of the white 57 Ford Ranchero.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                I don't think that's a Lark. Too much trunk lid 'overhang'.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                  I don't think that's a Lark. Too much trunk lid 'overhang'.
                  Right, Bill: Definitely not a Studebaker Lark...not even a Studebaker, as a matter of fact!

Considering the deck lid overhang and shape/contour of the RR tail light in the car behind the white Ranchero, I'd say the subject car is another 1957 Ford...specifically, a Fairlane 500 Town Victoria (4-door hardtop). BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Right, Bill: Definitely not a Studebaker Lark...not even a Studebaker, as a matter of fact!
                    Bob, you know I'm never wrong....
                    The trim line (and roofline) sure looks like a Lark to me though. However, in my defense, I did wonder about the trunk lid overhang.

Great, now I'm seeing Studebakers everywhere. No wonder the shrink thought I was nuts when he showed me the ink blots.
                    He seemed surprised when I said #4 was obviously a 62 Lark two-door.

Oh, well...I'll stick to airpanes and helicopters.
                    Last edited by JBOYLE; 07-14-2012, 04:59 AM.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• Are you sure the blue wagon is not a Studebaker?
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        Are you sure the blue wagon is not a Studebaker?
                        Joe: Do you mean the little blue wagon just barely visible to the extreme left of the white Ranchero, cut off by the edge of the image?

I've been studying that myself and can't state conclusively what I think it is.

I don't think it's a Studebaker, though; if it was a Stude, it would some type of prominent tail light assembly, I would think. BP

Comment

• Comment

Joe: Do you mean the little blue wagon just barely visible to the extreme left of the white Ranchero, cut off by the edge of the image?

I don't think it's a Studebaker, though; if it was a Stude, it would some type of prominent tail light assembly, I would think. BP
                            54 Chrysler maybe?

Terry

Comment

Yep, Bob you are right. Don't see the unique Wagonaire tail lights.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Look behind the longroof Merc.

Joe Roberts
                                '61 R1 Champ
                                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...