No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last one for today. This is Farmer's Warehouse. What you see is a line of trucks waiting to unload their tobacco to be sold at auction. This was taken September 1955.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
      College View Cleaners and Laundry on Grande Avenue in Greenvlle. Greenville is the home of what is now East Carolina Universty (the College). May 1954

I guess the Studebaker owner could get away with parking on the wrong side of the street with a "which way is it going" car, but what about the fastback Chevy?
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

• Here is a picture of the construction of the Marlboro Inn in August of 1963. I believe this to be in Greenville, NC, but it could be nearby Farmville.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

• This picture is titled "Police Officers directing traffic during the beginning of "Dollar Days." In browsing through these photos from the Daily Reflector of Greenville, NC, I have seen several references to "Dollar Days." It must have been a period of special shopping deals by local merchants. Evidently a popular event seeing as how they had enough extra traffic to warrant Police directing traffic. This is February 12, 1959.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

Some more from Greenville, NC. This is Jenkins Motor Company in January of 1958. You may have to squint to find this one.

the Champion in the back row reminds me of a little puppy hoping to be adopted from the pound!

Comment

• Originally posted by qsanford View Post
              the Champion in the back row reminds me of a little puppy hoping to be adopted from the pound!
              You bet. By 1957, it had to be the cheapest car on the lot. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This picture is titled "Police Officers directing traffic during the beginning of "Dollar Days." In browsing through these photos from the Daily Reflector of Greenville, NC, I have seen several references to "Dollar Days." It must have been a period of special shopping deals by local merchants. Evidently a popular event seeing as how they had enough extra traffic to warrant Police directing traffic.
                I bet it was one of the major department store's one-day or Thursday-to-Saturday once a month special. I clearly remember Woodward's $1.49 Day Tuesdays and The Hudson's Bay Company's 'Bay Days'. It was impossible to get near the shopping center with these sales on.

Craig

Comment

• Looks like a '53-54 Hudson Super Jet in the foreground.

Comment

• Re: #3871, looks like a 53-54 Hudson Super Jet in the foreground.

Comment

• front row: http://www.shorpy.com/node/19241?size=_original#caption

Comment

• Originally posted by 60ragtop View Post
                        Re: #3871, looks like a 53-54 Hudson Super Jet in the foreground.
                        Agreed, but I believe it can be narrowed down to a 1953 model year Super Jet.

1954s had a horizontal stainless-steel molding along the middle of the front fender, under the Super Jet script, and on into the center of the front door. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60ragtop View Post
                          Re: #3871, looks like a 53-54 Hudson Super Jet in the foreground.
                          I think you are right.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Got this off the Henry J forum, Gotta look hard.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

• Wow! (post 3884) This must be where Studebaker got the idea!!

Comment

Working...
                                X