Page 254 of 255 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255 LastLast
Results 10,121 to 10,160 of 10199

Thread: Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Back in track again:
    Swede 54.jpg

(& yes Christophe, so do I & I think it's the coolest dash ever & it was a true winner coming in to the test station; "no stick for the gears or the indicator?"...)

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

I owned one of those upside down bathtub Packards in the late 70's. I had to watch the oil pressure gauge when stopped at a traffic light to be sure that it was still running. What a smooth car. It was my daily driver. It replaced a 1951 Studebaker Champion 2-door sedan that was the previous daily driver.

I was living in Pacheco, CA, east of San Francisco and commuting weekly to my job in Salinas. Once that Packard was in overdrive it was floating on air. What an upgrade from the Champion.

Somewhere I have a picture of the Lewis Antique Auto Collection at the time...1951 Studebaker, 1931 Model A pickup, 1950 Packard 4-door sedan. If I can find it and scan it, I'll post it here.

Tom

President Member
    IMG_1125.JPG
    I plucked this from FB. I think that is a Stude engine. Nice rod.

Quote Originally Posted by spokejr View Post
    IMG_1125.JPG
    I plucked this from FB. I think that is a Stude engine. Nice rod.
    It could be a Stude. It does have hold down nuts on the valve covers and other features. Hard to be sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

President Member
    That could fool you. Looks like Avanti valve covers, but other things on it like the oil filler cap and distributor position, looks like Olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That could fool you. Looks like Avanti valve covers, but other things on it like the oil filler cap and distributor position, looks like Olds.
    V8 dizzy behind carb: Studebaker, FoMoCo Y blocks, Chevrolet, probably more.

Two studs/nuts per side retaining V8 valve covers to heads: Oldsmobile; Y blocks; Studebaker after circa 1955. Original Stude V8 used 4 studs/nuts per side.

The article says it is an Oldsmobile. That would have been one of my guesses. Obviously not a small block Chevy or Y block Ford with those ledges sticking out beyond the valve covers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    IMG_1126.jpg
    Well, do doubt about one of the subjects here.

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Nice picture from about the best time in history.
    The good old days, when Western Auto was still in business, and you could tell each make of car at a glance, and wild inflation hadn't yet taken hold.

President Member
    TW, By the looks of 10129, the year would be 60 or 61. Western Auto had already started shutting down stores. We had a WA in Sunland CA and one of the employees there bought out the store and renamed it Tinders Sunland Auto Supply in 59 or 60. The one in the pic. above must of been one of the larger and last.

TW, By the looks of 10129, the year would be 60 or 61.
    The absolute earliest that photo would date from is the Fall of 1962 with a '63 Lark Regal clearly visible.

Craig

Different angle of the above scene (a fire at George Barris' Custom Shop):

Last edited by BobPalma; 06-07-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

#10129 and again, here, might be a two-fer, guys.

In addition to the obvious 1963 Lark Regal 4-door, look 'way back along the extreme left edge of the photo. Is that the windshield of a 1953-up C/K, seen from the car's right front? BP

Ayn Rand:

President Member cultural infidel's Avatar
    TW, By the looks of 10129, the year would be 60 or 61. Western Auto had already started shutting down stores. We had a WA in Sunland CA and one of the employees there bought out the store and renamed it Tinders Sunland Auto Supply in 59 or 60. The one in the pic. above must of been one of the larger and last.
    I would've guessed 62-63 based on the rear of the Lark
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon...
    Check the Blog @ http://thisoldstude.blogspot.com
    Will be updating sooner or later. It has been a long time since I have posted anything.

Anyone want to trade a 3spd for a FOM?

President Member cultural infidel's Avatar
    I would've guessed Late 62-63 based on the rear of the Lark and the '62 Impala on the right side
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon...
    Check the Blog @ http://thisoldstude.blogspot.com
    Will be updating sooner or later. It has been a long time since I have posted anything.

Anyone want to trade a 3spd for a FOM?

Commander Member
    Pfeifer power 001.jpg
    People powered Lark

Here's another odd thing about this photo: Could it be that the 1963 Lark is the newest car in the photo?

There are three cars that could be 1963 models, but we can't tell for sure: The white Falcon station wagon 'way in the distance, the Corvair convertible up close on the right, and the 1961 or newer Rambler American convertible parked at the curb. We can't tell if those are 1963 models, and I don't see any "for sure" 1963 or newer model year cars in that photo other than the Lark.

We are so used to seeing Studebakers being among the older cars in these photos, could this be one of few, if any, where the newest car in the photo is a Studebaker (other than Studebaker dealership photos, of course). BP

Ayn Rand:

I was just thinking the same thing about the Lark being the newest car in the picture.
    The Corvair convertible was introduced in mid 1962, and if I could see the front or back I could identify it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    In addition to the obvious 1963 Lark Regal 4-door, look 'way back along the extreme left edge of the photo. Is that the windshield of a 1953-up C/K, seen from the car's right front?
    Directly above the '56 Lincoln Premiere sedan? I also believe you are correct!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Directly above the '56 Lincoln Premiere sedan? I also believe you are correct! Craig
    I can't "make out" a Lincoln Premiere sedan, Craig, but I'll take your word for it. BP

Ayn Rand:

President Member
    #10134 Tommy Ivo's T in front with Norm Grabosky's T in the rear. Behind the 57 Chev is a 55 Stude. Santa Anna Drag Strip. Not going to guess on the year, will get flamed for missing it by a year.

C/K hiding in the bushes from a postcard sent in 1960, Aransas Pass, Texas. Apparently Little Bob's also featured a "Rattan room" for those special gatherings...

President Member
    IMG_1164.JPG
    Another snatch from MOTOROLOGY on FB.

Champion Member

1950 Los Angeles

Wilshire Blvd, & Fairfax Ave. Los Angeles. 3 Studebakers. Directly in front of the '50 Champion convertible is a '42 Champion. 1947 Champion at left. 35806823_10212647251393156_7085253629468213248_n.jpg

Commander Member
    somewhereUSA1960s-970x494.jpg

Wow, after I "Find the Stude", I love looking at the other cars in these period photos. When was the last time anyone saw a 1961 Plymouth Station Wagon? They were ugly, but it was in the "Different by Design" mode.
    What a sporty 1st Gen Corvair Convertible, could it be a Monza?
    Oh, it looks like Corvair is winning the small car sales race: Corvair 2, Lark 1

Keeping Studes Alive

Stude-Preferred
    Atlanta GA
    Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 06-20-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Here's some from A'dam:
    A'dam.jpg

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Stude-Preferred View Post
    somewhereUSA1960s-970x494.jpg

Wow, after I "Find the Stude", I love looking at the other cars in these period photos. When was the last time anyone saw a 1961 Plymouth Station Wagon? They were ugly, but it was in the "Different by Design" mode.
    What a sporty 1st Gen Corvair Convertible, could it be a Monza?
    Oh, it looks like Corvair is winning the small car sales race: Corvair 2, Lark 1

Keeping Studes Alive

Stude-Preferred
    Atlanta GA
    We're certain there is a second Studebaker in that photo, Ken, besides the '63 Lark 4-door. Check the preceding posts for particulars. BP

Ayn Rand:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
    Wilshire Blvd, & Fairfax Ave. Los Angeles. 3 Studebakers. Directly in front of the '50 Champion convertible is a '42 Champion. 1947 Champion at left. 35806823_10212647251393156_7085253629468213248_n.jpg
    Pic shows northeast corner. Today MOCA (Museum of Modern Art) is located there. It was a department store, but I cannot recall the name, might have been May Co.

The Petersen Automobile Museum is located on the southeast corner. Back then it was an Ohrbachs department store.

btw: If y'all think the 1961 Plymouth is ugly (post #10147), you've never seen a 1960 Plymouth. Hideous!

Virgil Exner (who styled 1947/53 Studebakers when he worked for Loewy) gets the blame as he was ChryCo's director of styling, but he claimed he had nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by WinM1895; 06-20-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stude-Preferred View Post
    When was the last time anyone saw a 1961 Plymouth Station Wagon? They were ugly, but it was in the "Different by Design" mode.
    Have you looked at a Lexus grille lately?

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8e45e View Post
    have you looked at a lexus grille lately? craig
    amen! bp

Ayn Rand:

Silver Hawk Member

Craig
    I agee -- me too.

Craig
    I know this is a cherished long-running thread about pictures of our beloved Studebakers as seen on our roadways. And, we frequently, are inspired to stray into other conversations due to posted content. This is one of those occasions. From time to time, it seems that certain "group think" concepts catch on and become expressed across the board among designers. We have had conversations in the past about this phenomenon. These "open mouth" gaping voids of grilles in current cars is a good example. It is as if a collective brain detachment has infected designers as related to the front end of cars and the resulting effect has to just leave the space blank???

In their neverending quest to produce the most "wind tunnel" friendly product...
    autos seem to have lost their individual distinction to only become rolling sleek wheeled turds.

So, when I see them on the interstate, equipped with all the latest electronics, blue tooth, collision avoidance, automatic lane sensors, etc...

The blank front-end design makes me think of this...The largest creature on earth roaming the oceans with a gaping mouth...living off the smallest creatures on earth by scooping them up by the tons.

If science can somehow figure out how to convert smashed bugs into instant supplemental energy by turning them into fuel...then it would really make sense.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

From the dawn of the automotive age thru the 1930's, it was almost impossible to ID one car from another, unless you could see the grille.

Even then, it was difficult for most people, excepting the car "nuts."

1938 Graham grille was called the "shark nose." The car was so ugly, that Graham sales, already reeling from the Depression, dropped to almost nothing.

1950/51 Studebaker grilles were called "bullet noses" or "pencil sharpeners."

1952 Studebaker grille was called the "tater digger."

1958 Edsel grille was called a "horse collar," some people said it "looked like an Oldsmobile sucking a lemon."

But when it comes to ugly, nothing tops the Pontiac Aztec. What the hell was GM thinking?
    Last edited by WinM1895; 06-21-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WinM1895 View Post
    1952 Studebaker grille was called the "tater digger."
    I've heard it called a "two-row corn picker" lots of times. First I've ever heard a '52 being called a 'tater digger'.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 06-21-2018 at 01:41 PM.

I guess maybe the digging blades on some small potato diggers could be somewhat reminiscent of the ornaments inside a '52 grill opening.

'47-'49 Stude sedan rear in upper right at 1:26. Nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nSC7SXQpInM?rel=0

BP

Ayn Rand:

[QUOTE=WinM1895;1115181
    1938 Graham grille was called the "shark nose." The car was so ugly, that Graham sales, already reeling from the Depression, dropped to almost nothing.
    [/QUOTE]

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..." and here is no different. I find the "shark nose Grahams" among the most exciting designs of the pre-war era. But I'm not looking at it with 1930's eyes, either. It's another example of Loewy's theory that the public is only willing to accept incremental design change, nothing too drastic.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Quote Originally Posted by StudeNewby View Post
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..." and here is no different. I find the "shark nose Grahams" among the most exciting designs of the pre-war era. But I'm not looking at it with 1930's eyes, either. It's another example of Loewy's theory that the public is only willing to accept incremental design change, nothing too drastic.
    Graham made some great looking cars. Just as not all Studebakers are bullet nose, certainly not all Grahams are shark nose. I have met folks who have no clue of Studebaker's long history of vehicle production, and certainly not trucks, horse-drawn, or hardly any concept of a Studebaker except for the iconic bullet nose versions. My problem with Graham (as with other makes), is when all the emphasis is placed on the front & grille areas and the rest of the vehicle's design is left as a rather "HO HUM" afterthought. Certain years of Grahams and Cords suffered from such artistic disconnect, especially the sedans.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975