Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Andy: Do you know any more about the Avanti in 2953? That kinda looks like a South Bend background, but I can't place it.

Reason I ask is that it has those wire wheels, and we know Studebaker PR man Bill Dredge had his Avanti equipped with a set of the Dayton knock-off wire wheels like those on Steve Doerschlag's June 1963 Motor Trend cover car Hawk. BP
    I did have info on that pic but its lost in my mess somewhere .......
    And them wheels and tires look awesome on that Avanti - i thinky............

Comment

• Comment

• I don't know if this has been posted here before,

An entertaining & informative vintage automobile internet magazine.

there's a heap of Stude photos over at "the old motor". It's a great site, mostly pre-war stuff.

Comment

• Take a close look at the photo in #2958. The license plate appears to be 1954, right? 'No problem there; cars can get pretty well beat up in 4 or 5 years in Chicago's environment.

But look right behind the Studebaker: Doesn't that look like a 1956 Chevrolet? If so, and if the Studebaker is displaying a 1954 plate, perhaps it is being ticketed for an expired plate. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Take a close look at the photo in #2958. The license plate appears to be 1954, right? 'No problem there; cars can get pretty well beat up in 4 or 5 years in Chicago's environment.

But look right behind the Studebaker: Doesn't that look like a 1956 Chevrolet? If so, and if the Studebaker is displaying a 1954 plate, perhaps it is being ticketed for an expired plate. BP
            Unless Illinois at the time supplied current-year metal tabs that covered the '54'. If Illinois was like Manitoba in those years, only one metal tab was supplied to be placed on the rear plate.

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Unless Illinois at the time supplied current-year metal tabs that covered the '54'. If Illinois was like Manitoba in those years, only one metal tab was supplied to be placed on the rear plate. Craig
              That's entirely possible, Craig.

I had not considered that...and since I lived in Illinois in 1954, I think you may be right, now that I think about it. ('Course, I was only eight years old, OK?) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• #2958: The policeman is a Studebaker fan. He's ticketing the owner for not taking good enough care of the car. Poor car, having to live with a smushed fender and broken headlight rim! And is that dirt or rust at the bottom edge of the hood?
                Bill Jarvis

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                  #2958: The policeman is a Studebaker fan. He's ticketing the owner for not taking good enough care of the car. Poor car, having to live with a smushed fender and broken headlight rim! And is that dirt or rust at the bottom edge of the hood?
                  You're right! He could be an SDC judge taking points off for that.

Craig

Comment

• Bob et al,

When I saw the Avanti in 2953, I immediately thought of Paul Gunther in CA. He often put wires on his cars and liked the maroon color. Not sure if it was his but it might be possible.

Comment

• sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

• Comment

• Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Boy, the guy riding the hard-tail panhead Harley in #2966 must have a hearty set of 'nads and strong arms! That bike would be a bear to ride farther than a couple blocks ...the '62 Lark would be far more comfortable (but probably wouldn't attract the desired variety of young lady for the Harley rider back then!) BP

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1991.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1690740
                              From an old history of mopar

Comment

• IN #2966, it appears that the Lark usually parks in the driveway-look at the oil drips beneath the chopper!

Comment

Working...
                                X