No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, the giants working on the Studebaker assembly line. They were something, weren't they?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• I know this is Packard related but I thought it was of the era that would be acceptable and on topic here. I think this picture is beautiful. The style of the Packard of that time was gorgeous in my humble opinion.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
              I know this is Packard related but I thought it was of the era that would be acceptable and on topic here. I think this picture is beautiful. The style of the Packard of that time was gorgeous in my humble opinion.

This building at 1285 East Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena CA exists. AFAIK, it was erected for Bush-Morgan Packard in the 1920's.

The architecture is known as Spanish Colonial Mission Revival with Churrigueresque details.

Similar buildings were erected in Balboa Park in San Diego for the 1915 Panama-California International Exhibition.

The last car dealer that used this building sold replica Auburn Speedsters (that used Ford Galaxie/LTD frames and powertrains).
              Last edited by WinM1895; 02-06-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• That's a wonderful photo of a gorgeous dealership--Noll Motor Co.--and there are a lot of very sharp '56 Packards and Clippers in that photo.

I believe that's a Scottish Heather and white Four Hundred hardtop on the street...probably my very favorite 'real' Packard in my very favorite factory color combo.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

• Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

How would you like to be the letter carrier on this street?!
                    Bill Jarvis

Comment

• Re#2525; I can't imagine driving, let alone racing, on wood...especially wet!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                        That's a wonderful photo of a gorgeous dealership--Noll Motor Co.--and there are a lot of very sharp '56 Packards and Clippers in that photo.

I believe that's a Scottish Heather and white Four Hundred hardtop on the street...probably my very favorite 'real' Packard in my very favorite factory color combo.
                        'Sure is, Bill.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have two more photos from exactly that position, taken one (1957) and two (1958) years later?

(Interesting, yes; encouraging, no!) BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          'Sure is, Bill.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have two more photos from exactly that position, taken one (1957) and two (1958) years later?

(Interesting, yes; encouraging, no!) BP

BP, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this photo for the first time. I too thought about how soon what we see in the picture would be gone.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser

Comment

BP, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this photo for the first time. I too thought about how soon what we see in the picture would be gone.
                            Thanks, Joe. Curiously, the number of cars at the curb represent the total number of new 1956 Packards my father sold in his last year as a Packard dealer. Yep; exactly THREE, but not those models.

Rather, he sold three new 1956 Clipper 4-door sedans that last year: One Custom, one Super, and one DeLuxe.

I actually remember the cheapie DeLuxe; white with a medium-blue roof.

The Super was ordered by a farmer and his wife and had factory air conditioning and push-button Ultramatic. They must have liked the 1956 Clipper Super sedan brochure car because that is the color scheme they ordered; yellow and white:

The Custom was sold three days before they went out of business. The customer had to know they were going out of business because the announcement had been made and the shop and equipment auction had been heavily advertised around town for several weeks. The Studebaker dealer with whom they had paired up was staying open and in business, though, so the Custom buyer still had a place to return for warranty work, even though it was no longer an Officially-franchised Packard Dealer as of July 31, 1956. BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 02-07-2014, 08:14 PM. Reason: added photo
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Bob, you and I discussed the similarities between your Dad's dealership and my hometown dealer, Carl E. Filer Co., in approximate number of employees, size of town, proximity to the state line and nearest big city, etc.

I'm aware that Filer's sold a '56 Caribbean and a four-door Executive (yellow and white), but I'll have to ask Ed if he can venture a guess all these years later, as to how many Packards and Clippers he thinks they might have sold in '56.

I do know that Lloyd Lee, who owned the Atlantic station, bought a new '55 Clipper and later traded for a new '59 or '60 Lark wagon at Filer's. Lloyd went out to South Bend to pick it up in person.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

• I found the Noll Packard dealership as it exists today courtesy of Google Earth. I wish I could take a journey back in time to 1955-56 and drive out in a new Packard...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Former Packard Dealership.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1687694

Mr. Bill
                                Hamlet, NC

Comment

Working...
                                X