No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of those ships came through the Panama Canal in about 1972 headed for Vietnam. She limped back through about 3 months later after a huge explosion in one of her amo magazines. I don't remember how many sailors were killed. Very sad.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• I seem to remember that those ships were sized as large (both length and width) as possible but still "fit" through the Panama Canal.

Comment

• Originally posted by skyway View Post
        I seem to remember that those ships were sized as large (both length and width) as possible but still "fit" through the Panama Canal.
        Correct. The canal was able to accommodate our largest battle ships of the day. I believe it could even handle WWII era carriers. The new canal is able to handle pretty much any ship.
        Watching a WWII era battleship go through the old locks was pretty impressive.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• The USS New Jersey passed through Pearl Harbor in 1968 while I was working there. At the time, it was the only operational battleship in the world. Something like 20% of all of the active-duty enlisted men in the Navy volunteered to serve aboard her after the Navy announced she would be re-activated. I ran into many of them in Honolulu and they were all extremely proud that they had been selected to serve aboard her. Ronald Reagan reactivated all four Iowa-class battleships again in the 1980s and sent them around the world as displays of power. They are extremely impressive vessels, but extraordinarily expensive to operate. They were retired again in 1990-92.

Two others were unfinished at the end of the War and were scrapped: Illinois (BB-65) and Kentucky (BB-66).
          Skip Lackie

Comment

• I think it was the New Jersey that came through the canal in '72.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• Richland, WA:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	pix 1617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1719821

Comment

• Bruce, I do believe that may be the same bridge that is still there. It looks familiar.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	,,...,,..jpg
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1719828......................

Comment

• Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                    Bruce, I do believe that may be the same bridge that is still there. It looks familiar.
                    Not sure Ed, but I believe the road has been widened/freeway-ized in the last decade or so. There are a lot of bridges down there so you could be right...

Comment

• Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      The canal was able to accommodate our largest battleships of the day (with one exception).

I believe it could even handle WWII era carriers. The new canal is able to handle pretty much any ship.

Watching a WWII era battleship go through the old locks was pretty impressive.
                      After the Pearl Harbor Attack, the battleship USS Tennessee was fitted with torpedo bulges. It was then so wide that it wouldn't fit thru the Panama Canal.

After WWII ended, the Tennessee that had been serving in the PTO had to steam west through the Suez Canal to return to the US

My uncle served 3 years (1942/45) on the Tennessee as a corpsman.

The USS New Jersey (BB:62) is an Iowa class battleship and is now berthed in Camden NJ as a museum ship. The other three Iowas are also museum ships.

USS Missouri (BB:63) Pearl Harbor .. USS Wisconsin (BB:64) Hampton VA

Pic: USS Iowa (BB:61) berthed in Los Angeles (San Pedro) Harbor as a museum ship.

Name:	Hawaii Cruise Dec 2012 001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1719887
                      Last edited by WinM1895; 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• From the March 15, 2018 Hemmings Daily Blog:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• #9971 -
                          The newest car that I noticed is a 1953. What was the "Welcome Home" for?
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            #9971 -
                            The newest car that I noticed is a 1953. What was the "Welcome Home" for?
                            'Beats me, Gary; here's all the information presented:

Date: circa 1950s
                            Source: Sullivan County Historical Society Of Pennsylvania, via Ron Dawson

BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              'Beats me, Gary; here's all the information presented:

Date: circa 1950s
                              Source: Sullivan County Historical Society Of Pennsylvania, via Ron Dawson

BP
                              Perhaps from the Korean War or it could have just been for some important individual.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• From The Old Motor:

Name:	National-Park-1940s-Cars-1950s-Cars-1024x596.jpg
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1719927

Comment