Page 250 of 250 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250
Results 9,961 to 9,965 of 9965

Thread: Studes in Roadside Americana photos

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    One of those ships came through the Panama Canal in about 1972 headed for Vietnam. She limped back through about 3 months later after a huge explosion in one of her amo magazines. I don't remember how many sailors were killed. Very sad.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    I seem to remember that those ships were sized as large (both length and width) as possible but still "fit" through the Panama Canal.

Quote Originally Posted by skyway View Post
    I seem to remember that those ships were sized as large (both length and width) as possible but still "fit" through the Panama Canal.
    Correct. The canal was able to accommodate our largest battle ships of the day. I believe it could even handle WWII era carriers. The new canal is able to handle pretty much any ship.
    Watching a WWII era battleship go through the old locks was pretty impressive.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Silver Hawk Member
    The USS New Jersey passed through Pearl Harbor in 1968 while I was working there. At the time, it was the only operational battleship in the world. Something like 20% of all of the active-duty enlisted men in the Navy volunteered to serve aboard her after the Navy announced she would be re-activated. I ran into many of them in Honolulu and they were all extremely proud that they had been selected to serve aboard her. Ronald Reagan reactivated all four Iowa-class battleships again in the 1980s and sent them around the world as displays of power. They are extremely impressive vessels, but extraordinarily expensive to operate. They were retired again in 1990-92.

Two others were unfinished at the end of the War and were scrapped: Illinois (BB-65) and Kentucky (BB-66).

I think it was the New Jersey that came through the canal in '72.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus