Hard Starting Avanti after warmup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Starting Avanti after warmup?

I only get to drive my '63 Avanti R1 once every several months, so to start it generally requires priming the carburetor bowls and jumping it from a good battery. That usually does the trick.

Once I return from a drive (20 or 30 minutes) and park it, it will restart immediately. However, if if sits even a few minutes, the starter turns very slowly, and after a few cranks, there's not enough power to turn it over. The heat gauge doesn't show anything unusual, although I've never checked its accuracy.

Anyone else have this problem? Any troubleshooting help greatly appreciated!

It could be an oil soaked starter...maybe even as simple as corroded or bad connection power lead to the starter. Try cleaning the connections. If that doesn't do it, have a starter draw test performed.

I'd say it's likely one of those. If the starter is oil soaked, it will require rebuilding.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I would suspect that your battery is not taking a sufficient charge during your 20-30 minute run. You may have a bad battery. Try charging the battery with a charger and see if it comes to full charge. Then start and do your run and followup with several restarts. If all is OK, disconnect the negative battery lead and then monitor battery voltage several times over a week or two. If the voltage drops below 12-12.5 volts, then the battery needs replacing. If the battery checks out OK, then you have a situation where the battery is being drained while connected and parked. A defective alternator can do this, as well as some accessories, such as a clock, or later radios with electronic clock and presets, and trunk light that doesn't turn off. You obviously have some investigating to do in order to identify the cause. It's always best to start by ruling out the simple things. I would look at the battery first, as they don't like to sit unused and uncharged for long periods of time.

Comment

Working...
      X