Thread: Ignition Switch 62 Hawk

Champion Member

Question Ignition Switch 62 Hawk

On 1962 Hawk, original ignition switch has a round bullet-shaped cylinder about 1" long and 1/4" in diameter bolted to the switch and pointed towards the back of the dash. There is a ground wire attached to the mounting bold. The replacement switch obtained from Studebaker INternational has no mention of this additional part or instructions regarding it. What is this additional part? Is it necessary?
    Has anyone had any issues with the replacement ignition switch sold by SI? Thanks.

President Member
    You may be looking at the light for the ignition switch the way you describe it.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv. 259, Flightomatic
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Yep, that's the cylinder lamp. The bulb pushes into the cylinder from the rear and the little hole in the "bullet" end shines onto the plastic ignition bezel to make it light up.

Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Champion Member
    Wow, thanks, guys, I'll re-check, and have to make some other provision to mount it to the switch as none is provided on the replacement. Didn't look like a light to me but I'll take your word for it. Thanks again for the quick response.

The bullet has a "pinch" clip that fits into slots on the original switch housing. The black wire is in the dash lighting circuit. ( EDIT) O.K. I got out a switch I had from a 63 Lark and I stand corrected. The housing portion has a little bracket that is attatched to the switch housing by a screw that also had a ground wire on it. The end of the "bullet" that has the wire is the bulb holder. If you look close you will see that there is a raised rib around the base. I sprayed some electrcal contact cleaner into the hole in the end and let it soak a bit, then carefully worked the pressed in holder out of the housing. DO NOT PULL ON THE WIRE!! It should slide out to expose the bulb for replacement. I don't know about the replcement switch that S.I sells, but is there a corresponding place on the new switch that you might be able to drill and tap a hole for the light atatchment?
    Last edited by brian6373; 10-01-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Champion Member

Intermittent starting

I replaced the switch, still wouldn't start. Double-checked all the wiring per the manual, OK. If I hot-wire the solenoid it will start and run fine. I can shut if off and re-start from the switch, again OK. But if it sits a while it won't start unless I hot-wire it again. What could this be?

Also, how do you replace the light on the ignition switch? How do you access the bulb?

Thanks for the help!

Golden Hawk Member
    Doesn't it have a bracket held on with a small screw?

The starting issue may be loose Battery Cables, heating up and expanding or bubbling up moisture between the post and cable. Also clean the inside of the cable clamp and the Batt. post. To test for that, you turn on the headlights when it will not start, and you should find them not working.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Champion Member

Smile 62 Hawk

Thanks for the tip, it may be the battery cable. Someone has disconnected the pink ignition wire, but a substitute wire runs to the coil, I haven't traced down the pink one all the way, though.

Still don't know how to replace the bulb for the ignition switch light. It does screw into the side of the ignition switch, and a red (ground?) wire attaches at its base by the mounting screw.

I assume you have a stick shift, if it's a AT it's likely the neutral start switch or the wire to the solenoid or the neutral start and not the ignition.
    JDP Maryland

Also check the terminals on the ammeter...all the current goes through it first. (be careful, and disconnect the battery first)
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

Uh, that pink wire is usually the resistance wire that provides power to the coil when the key is in "run" position. If that's disconnected, the car will fire, but die as soon as you let the key out of the "start" position.

Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Check the voltage from your battery to the body. I found the ground on my 63 Lark was cutting the voltage down to 8.5 volts. The relay may not be getting enough power through the switch and a poor ground to energize the relay coil. When you jump it, you eliminate all the resistance in the positive side of the wiring. Brian

Champion Member

Frayed Solenoid wires

After replacing the ignition switch (which is much harder to install than the original twist-on one), I noticed that the wire going from the switch to the solenoid had broken insulation and some of the strands were frayed. I cut it off and installed a new loop-type lug, and haven't had a problem since! Thanks for all the tips, though!