Back handed Studebaker Tribute...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back handed Studebaker Tribute...

As I begin the long research on rebuilding my Speedster, one thing has bit by bit grown on me. Now, my first car was a Studebaker and my last Studebaker was traded away in '66 so I have a long soft spot for Studebakers (my college blond flame was even a Studebaker).

What I find fascinating is the number Rat-Rods or highly modified Studebakers I have encountered. I doubt if any other brand has seen the extent of engine/drive train swaps and even whole body swaps to another brand. Even within the brand, the number of '55 converted to '53s and 53-55s re-badged to Hawks is amazing. I ran into a friend who collects 240-Z's and discover he's driving a Cruiser body mounted on an Olds Chasis/interior!

I've seen a number of MOPAR and Mustang "Clones"... attempts to re-badge within a model year. But, I only recall hearing of one attempt to re-badge a C as a Speedster... ok, it was a Phantom, not a clone. My point is that Studes just keep hanging around and be re-incarnated as "My Car".

Ok, I'm even thinking of re-creating my '63 Lark 4 door with a Caravan interior, alloy wheels and a '66 Mustang Candy Apple exterior for a fun driver. No, the Speedster may get front discs and a dual master cylinder but beyond that it will be as designed in South Bend.

My 55K was intended to be a recreation of the 55C I lost 35 years ago. Once I got into it and found the production order, I decided to keep it as stock as possible. I'm glad I did. Others build what they want. I built what I could have had and now have. It gets just as many "wow"s as any custom out there. Good luck with your Speedster.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I doubt if any other brand has seen the extent of engine/drive train swaps and even whole body swaps to another brand.
      Yeah, right.
      Tell it to all the 30's and 40's Fords out there with bowtie belly-buttons.
      We have nothing to complain about here in Studebaker Land.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
      X