No announcement yet.

Drag Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for those wondering about the drags, but have never done it......DO IT!
    I did it for the first time in Cedar Rapids in 2009, and it was a blast. I was worried since I had never done anything like that, and if it broke, how would I get home? Didn't go very fast in a plain stock 63 lark with no modifications, but it was fun just to see reaction times, etc.
    here's a video just to see the fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGxAmCy1zQ

I had to tape a water bottle to the side of my engine bay for the "radiator overflow". The track guys let it slide. They didn't require a helmet for what we were driving, but you had to roll up all your windows.

Comment

Have the rules that apply to the South Bend drag races been posted. I would hate to get out there and find that my car doesn't comply with something.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

For basic street cars at the track here are things they will look at: As Gohdes mentioned your radiator over flow must be routed into some sort of container so if your car over heats coolant does not go onto the track. Make sure all of your lug nuts are in place. Some tracks will have you remove your hub caps, so bring tools to do that. You need to wear long pants and closed toe shoes, no shorts or sandals. If your car will run 13.99 or faster you will need a helmet. Street tires will need to be in good condition and have tread.

That's really about all you need. Others please chime in if there is something more.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post

That's really about all you need. Others please chime in if there is something more.
          When I ran at Osceola, they did a tech inspection of each car for obvious safety issues. Battery hold down, loose items, loose steering, etc...plus the items Pat mentions. Contact the track if you have any questions...

Osceola Dragway

If you haven't drag raced before at a sanctioned track, have Pat, Ted, or another experienced racer "tech" your car during the week in South Bend so that you are not surprised or disappointed when you get to the track.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick: Was very disappointed thought you were going to say that you were going to be there. Sure would be great to see you.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Clemens View Post
              Dick: Was very disappointed thought you were going to say that you were going to be there. Sure would be great to see you.

studedick from the lower Ozarks
              I don't think I will make it this year, Dick. You'll have to have my share of the fun too (but I'm confident you can pull that off!)
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

For those who have general questions about running your car at the track here is a link to some excellent information.

Starting with Post#3 will give you an excellent idea of what to expect.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

As per the questions posted recently on the "main" forum, what are the plans for the drag races.?
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

On Friday, the Osceola strip will open an hour or two early for their regular test and tune night. This will give people time to go to the track to either watch or race for a couple hours before heading back if they want to attent the banquet. I don't know the exact hour they will open but we can find out at the meet. My guess is it will be around 3:00.

Ted

Comment

Thanks Ted.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser

Comment

What's the latest on the trip to the track? What time and are we caravaning or just meeting out there? Also what is the cost for their test and tune. It's gonna be a hot day it looks like, but not as hot as Glendale was.

thanks
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA

Comment

What's the latest on the trip to the track? What time and are we caravaning or just meeting out there? Also what is the cost for their test and tune. It's gonna be a hot day it looks like, but not as hot as Glendale was. thanks
                          There's a bit of new info to be found here~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...nal-Meet-Drags

(post #42 on down...)

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

We will be leaving for the track around 1.45 or so Ted said.
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Cost for test and tune is $20.00 to run and $10.00 for spectators. Leaving fairgrounds at 1.45. I printed up directions, they can be found in Ted's and my booth
                              What's the latest on the trip to the track? What time and are we caravaning or just meeting out there? Also what is the cost for their test and tune. It's gonna be a hot day it looks like, but not as hot as Glendale was.

thanks
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X