Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was there any 4x4 studebaker trucks ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was there any 4x4 studebaker trucks ever made?

Was wondering cause in Nevada snow is a problem and I need the 4x4

If there is one I want one to make a daily driver! That would be awesome

Yes they were made...
    When you do find one they are very expensive as they are very rare . Nice trucks for sure .
    Google Studebaker 4x4 and you will see lots.
    Love my Lark

Comment

Here are a couple!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt Vernon 5-15-11 045.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1670448
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0081.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1670449
      Carey
      Packard Hawk

Comment

Hmm maybe I can get a 2wd body and put it on a blazer 4x4 frame? Either way its gonna be pricey.. lame!

Comment

4x4 for sale

There is one in California for sale at the moment - it was advertised in the August TW.
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by carothersbs View Post
            Hmm maybe I can get a 2wd body and put it on a blazer 4x4 frame? Either way its gonna be pricey.. lame!
            Yep. That's been done, and it's not a bad idea for a daily driver. 1950s 4X4s are pretty crude beasts, which is part of their charm, of course.

'Depends on how much you want to be charmed all day driving one every day! <GGG> BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There is one of the Studebaker 4x4's built for the Navy under restoratin in Wilmington, North Carolina. They are very special vehicles.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                There is one of the Studebaker 4x4's built for the Navy under restoratin in Wilmington, North Carolina. They are very special vehicles.
                True, Joe. There are a surprising number of those around, I have found. 'Saw a nice one at the 1996 SDC International Meet at the Queen Mary, and Malcolm Berry in Dayton (Kettering?) Ohio has a nice one, too.

The "Navy 4X4s" are kind of special; neat little trucks, for sure. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have a '49 4x4 down in Santa Barbara available if you're ever down this way. Needs a "moderate" amount of work.

Comment

S-10 frames are used in a plethora of swaps because they have a nice long straight section that can be modified to give about any wheel base you need.

The problem could be front track width. Those Studebaker pickups look awful narrow in the front. I'd just take a tape to the local wrecking yard or older car lot and see what you have to deal with. The swap could make it a much more livable combination than a stock setup.

Always check The H.A.M.B. with these issues, they do a lot of frame swaps.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      S-10 frames are used in a plethora of swaps because they have a nice long straight section that can be modified to give about any wheel base you need.

The problem could be front track width. Those Studebaker pickups look awful narrow in the front. I'd just take a tape to the local wrecking yard or older car lot and see what you have to deal with. The swap could make it a much more livable combination than a stock setup.

Always check The H.A.M.B. with these issues, they do a lot of frame swaps.

Bob
                      'Shouldn't be a problem as to front track, Bob.

I've bought a lot of S-10s and have to be careful loading them on my car trailer because their track is so narrow.

My car trailer's runways are such that I can position The Plain Brown Wrapper or Ted's Stude Tomato on the trailer and there will be at least 3" from the inside of each front wheel to the inside of each runway.

S-10s, if positioned dead-center on the same trailer, are lucky to have an inch and a half from the inside of the tire footprints to the inside edge of the runways. I've darn-near driven more than one S-10 off, into the open area between the runways... but, knock on wood, always got out just in time to check and reposition before doing so! BP

Comment

Ed Ellis's 4X4 was the finest example of a restored Stude I had ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by oldcarfart View Post
                          Ed Ellis's 4X4 was the finest example of a restored Stude I had ever seen.
                          Amen to that, Calvin; it was an absolute knock-out anywhere you looked. BP

Comment

There's an M-Series truck here in Dixon that was placed on a Ford Ranger 4X4.
                            Jon Stalnaker
                            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Was wondering cause in Nevada snow is a problem and I need the 4x4

If there is one I want one to make a daily driver! That would be awesome
                              Head on over to the Studebaker truck forum and post that question or do a search. http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Here's one thats about done. http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885...04511/so+close

Comment

Working...
                              X