Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Salt2Salt In da hood video

  1. #1
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Posts
    64

    Salt2Salt In da hood video

    We are about ready to race!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBVnNNJgWtU
    Greg
    http://salt2salt.com racing a 53' Stude on the salt.
    http://tribaker.wordpress.com building a 37' Stude boat-tailed speedster 3-wheeler
    http://turbostude.com building a 50' bullet-nose with a turbocharged stude flathead six (site under reconstruction)

  2. #2
    Golden Hawk Member DEEPNHOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklet, GA, USA. Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,829
    Sounds stout!
    Best of luck! Drive safe out and back...
    Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbostude53 View Post
    We are about ready to race!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBVnNNJgWtU
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

    Jeff




    Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

  3. #3
    Silver Hawk Member JRoberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC, .
    Posts
    9,131
    Sounds really good. Good luck to you guys out on the Salt. You know we're rootin' for ya'.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

  4. #4
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    14,641
    Greg, make sure someone writes down each day's events. And take lots of photos.

  5. #5
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,425
    Greg, what axle ratio does that have? I'm sure it's tall for the salt, but is certainly noticeable when getting underway. Sounds like about 2.50:1 or something! <GGG> BP

  6. #6
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Greg, what axle ratio does that have? I'm sure it's tall for the salt, but is certainly noticeable when getting underway. Sounds like about 2.50:1 or something! <GGG> BP
    Actually Bob, the axle ratio is 3.89:1 which may seem unusual for a conventional Stude v8, but remember that this engine is destroked to 182" and is set up to make power between 6000 and 7700 rpm. Torque doesn't even show up till over 3000 rpm. Last year, we went 135mph on the GPS with a 4.11:1 rear end..... If you look closely, you will see the pushbar we added this year, assuming that we would need to be pushed up to 30mph due to the gearing.
    Our 190" turbocharged flathead 6 stude motor actually made more torque, at lower rpms (but less HP) and at times we ran a 2.75:1.
    Greg
    http://salt2salt.com racing a 53' Stude on the salt.
    http://tribaker.wordpress.com building a 37' Stude boat-tailed speedster 3-wheeler
    http://turbostude.com building a 50' bullet-nose with a turbocharged stude flathead six (site under reconstruction)

  7. #7
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbostude53 View Post
    Actually Bob, the axle ratio is 3.89:1 which may seem unusual for a conventional Stude v8, but remember that this engine is destroked to 182" and is set up to make power between 6000 and 7700 rpm. Torque doesn't even show up till over 3000 rpm. Last year, we went 135mph on the GPS with a 4.11:1 rear end..... If you look closely, you will see the pushbar we added this year, assuming that we would need to be pushed up to 30mph due to the gearing.
    Our 190" turbocharged flathead 6 stude motor actually made more torque, at lower rpms (but less HP) and at times we ran a 2.75:1.
    'Good explanation, Greg; thanks. That does explain the ultra-low rpm getaway; such low torque just off idle with that short a stroke. What is the stroke, BTW? BP

  8. #8
    Silver Hawk Member Chris Pile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wichita - The Air Capital of the World
    Posts
    6,292
    Go fast, be safe, and have fun!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

  9. #9
    President Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Fresno, California, USA.
    Posts
    3,930
    Nice to have understanding neighbors.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)




    Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

  10. #10
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    'Good explanation, Greg; thanks. That does explain the ultra-low rpm getaway; such low torque just off idle with that short a stroke. What is the stroke, BTW? BP
    The crank was destroked to 2.5". Assuming typical allowable piston speeds and a forged crank, that translates into a very high redline, limited by valve float. We have done dyno pulls to 7600+ rpm......
    Greg
    http://salt2salt.com racing a 53' Stude on the salt.
    http://tribaker.wordpress.com building a 37' Stude boat-tailed speedster 3-wheeler
    http://turbostude.com building a 50' bullet-nose with a turbocharged stude flathead six (site under reconstruction)

  11. #11
    President Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chatsworth, CA, USA.
    Posts
    1,388
    Sounds absolutely ferocious!! See you on the salt this Saturday.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - Running, but not yet driving)

  12. #12
    Golden Hawk Member BobPalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Posts
    22,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbostude53 View Post
    The crank was destroked to 2.5". Assuming typical allowable piston speeds and a forged crank, that translates into a very high redline, limited by valve float. We have done dyno pulls to 7600+ rpm......
    Wow! 2.5" 'Can't help but wonder about the top piston speed attained in the course of running 7600 rpm. 'Might be even less than, say, a stock 289 at 5,000 rpm. BP

  13. #13
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nashville, Indiana, .
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Wow! 2.5" 'Can't help but wonder about the top piston speed attained in the course of running 7600 rpm. 'Might be even less than, say, a stock 289 at 5,000 rpm. BP
    Piston speed of 54.17 FPS@7800 is the same as 5380 RPMs in a stock stroke engine.

  14. #14
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by 63larkr1 View Post
    Piston speed of 54.17 FPS@7800 is the same as 5380 RPMs in a stock stroke engine.
    Or, using this calculator, and assuming a "heavy duty engine" capable of 4000 feet per minute piston speeds, 9600 rpm is the redline if everything in the valve train were to hold together......I asked Centerforce to provide a clutch which they thought might handle this. We don't plan on testing the theoretical calcs......

    http://thefirstgensite.com/code/maxrpm.htm
    Greg
    http://salt2salt.com racing a 53' Stude on the salt.
    http://tribaker.wordpress.com building a 37' Stude boat-tailed speedster 3-wheeler
    http://turbostude.com building a 50' bullet-nose with a turbocharged stude flathead six (site under reconstruction)

  15. #15
    President Member Nelsen Motorsports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lizella/Statesboro, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    1,235
    What cam are you running?
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

  16. #16
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
    What cam are you running?
    The cam is a Comp Cam flat tappet regrind # 99-999-3 Stud 6056/6056 S112.0 Valve timing @.050 intake open @ 9 BTDC close @ 53 ABDC, exhaust open @ 53 BBDC close @ 9ATDC. Lobe separation 112.0. Gross valve .511 & .511.

    The 6056 lobe profile is one of CompCams Xtreme Energy series. At 280 advertised and 242 @ .050", it sounds really gnarly in the little 182".
    Greg
    http://salt2salt.com racing a 53' Stude on the salt.
    http://tribaker.wordpress.com building a 37' Stude boat-tailed speedster 3-wheeler
    http://turbostude.com building a 50' bullet-nose with a turbocharged stude flathead six (site under reconstruction)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •