64 GT wheel color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 64 GT wheel color

I hope you all can help me. I am getting ready to sandblast and repaint the wheels for my 64 GT Hawk. I have 2 64 GT's, the one I am restoring is a standard GT that is Jet Green. This car appears to have had a cream colored wheel. Almost like the yellow that showes up at the header on our web site. The other 64 is a parts car but it is a
    R1 model and it is the dark Strata Blue. This car had an off white wheel simular the the old Ford color Wimbledon White. These 2 wheel colors are from the inside of the rim after removeing the tires not matching colors after old repaints .
    Thanks for any help, Mark

Hi, Mark. I sent you a message. John

Comment

Ford Wimbledon White is very close to Pebble Sand used on the 63-66 Studebakers.
      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I remember being told in the past that 64s actually used "refrigerator white" wheel paint not Wimbledon White as did 62-63. However it seems like this comes up often enough that I'm not certain of that. If you are trying to be 100% correct, your car should have 4.5" wide "disc brake" wheels. those may or may not have the ridge on the center outside where the dog dish would sit. However only the disc wheels had the ridge, so if yours are 4.5" wide and have the ridge then they are correct for a standard (non-Super) '64. If they don't have the ridge I am not really certain how to verify that they are 64 wheels and not earlier.

I've found "almond" appliance epoxy to be close to the creamy-white or Wimbledon White color. I don't know a good spray can match for the refrigerator white. Personally I think the former looks better on a Jet Green car.

Sometimes I've seen wheels that were originally painted black and then the faces were painted white. so the correct way to paint those would be to paint the backsides and under-tire area black, then let that dry, then paint the fronts of the wheel white and let the overspray shoot through the vents to duplicate the original appearance.
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
        X