Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1952 Champion what gear ratio, rear end and transmission do I have? also, what fluids should I use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1952 Champion what gear ratio, rear end and transmission do I have? also, what fluids should I use.

1952 Champion Regal Starlight Coupe (Inline 6) is what it states on the title.

1. What transmission do I have? It is a three speed on the tree.
    2. What Fluids should I use? (Oil, rear end and trans fluid)
    3. What is the stock gear ratio?
    4. What rear end comes stock on a 52 Studebaker Champion?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I have been searching for hours. Can't find too much information. I need to order the shop manual for this car and will do so soon. Hopefully someone can answer the above questions. I have googled and visited Bob Johnson's Studebaker Technical page, but can't find too much information about this car. Finally got this thing road worthy and would like to start the restore process soon.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Anything could have happened to your car over the years, but when it was new, it probably came with a Borg-Warner T-90 transmission. Overdrive was optional, but very common. You can tell if you have overdrive if there is another pull handle on the left side of the steering wheel next to the hood release labeled "O D". Your rear axle was originally a Dana 27, 4:11 ratio. You can use any good quality oil in the engine if you use a zinc additive like ZDDP or equivalent. The transmission (and overdrive) can use SAE 90 high grade mineral oil, or SAE 40 non-detergent engine oil, per the manual. The rear end should use SAE 90 Hypiod (multi-purpose gear lubricant). Do not use one with a sulfur additive.
    Last edited by whacker; 07-26-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it running Anthony. It sounds like you are concerned about the rear end, it's ratio and how that will affect driving it at some amount of speed.

Yes cars of this era had very Low (high numerically) rear axle ratios, Overdrives with the small 6 Engine usually had 4.56 to 1 ratio. That was due to the conditions that prevailed at the time, like .15 to .25 cent a gallon gas and lower speed roads.
      You will be able to cruise fairly comfortably up to 65 MPH with most ratios, IF you have Overdrive and if you can push the handle in and it works.

IF it has no Overdrive or it doesn't work, your speed will be severly limited to 50 or so without faster engine wear, including destroying it, lots of noise, and poor fuel and Oil mileage.

The track width of these rear axles reduces the chance of any complete replacement pretty much to custom made (narrowed) Differentials.

If you want to know your ratio, just read the tag.
      It can be found under the rear cover bolt at 8:00, it probably will have a fraction stamped in it, the number of Ring Gear teeth over the number of Pinion teeth, just divide to get the ratio.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-26-2011, 09:45 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Only the overdrive cars would have had the 4.11 (or 4'10) ratio. Straight 3-speed cars would get possibly 3.54, 3.73, or 4.09? depending on where sold.

Champions, except pre-War, got T96 transmissions, either with overdrive or without. T-90 was a truck transmission, and might have been used in Champion-powered pickups, but not in cars.

I am a firm believer in using motor oil in the manual transmission. They simply work better with it. Straight 40 or 50 weight, or 20W-50, it's all good.

If your transmission is less than foot long, from front mounting flange to rear coupling, it's a straight three-speed. If it is closer to a foot and half, it's overdrive.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
        X