Proper hook up of remote starter switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Proper hook up of remote starter switch

I have not used my remote starter switch in a very long time. So long that I forgot the proper way to hook it up. I think I just need to hook it between the positive and negative terminals on the starter solinoid, then turn the ignition switch to the on position and then press the button on the remote starter switch. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to fry the wires on my car. This is for a '62 Lark 259 V8. Thanks for any help.

First, there is no positive & negitive terminals on the solinoid. You have a battery terminal on one side & the starter terminal on the other. There should be 2 small terminals between them marked with "I" & the other "S". The small terminal next to the starter terminal should have a white wire going to it. That is the "S" terminal that energizes the solinoid to engage the starter. Use that terminal. You could use just the terminal from the battery directly to the starter terminal but most starter switches have a small guage wire that would melt under load.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren is right assuming you're working on a car with a key switch with start positon combined. In that case the switch goes between power and the S terminal of the solinoid. If you're working on an earlier model with a seperate starter switch you ground the start terminal of the solinoid. In that case the switch would go between the S terminal and ground.
      Now that I slow down and read Larks post again, I see he has a '62 and Warren is correct. Maybe this will help someone else with an earlier car.
      Last edited by 1954khardtop; 07-19-2011, 01:43 PM.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I see that there are 2 large cables running to the solenoid, one from the battery and the other from the starter. What Warren stated makes sense, that is if I just jump between the starter terminal and the battery terminal it might work but it would overload the switch and potentially damage it.

There are 2 smaller wires running to the solenoid as well. The one closest to the starter cable is yellow and the one closest to the battery cable is greeen. I think what you are saying is to connect one lead from the remote starter switch to the battery terminal, and the other lead from the switch to the terminal where the green wire connects (the small green wire is closest to the terminal that leads to the starter cable). The car only has an ignition switch, so I just turn it on, then I press the button on the remote starter switch.

Comment

Hooking the switch to the wrong small post could do damage. Voltage would backfeed from the small "I" post to the large starter wire post. Starter current would then flow through your remote switch, possibly burning it out. Just make sure you hook to the small post with the wire from the keyswitch, not the one going to the coil.
          Last edited by 1954khardtop; 07-20-2011, 03:31 AM. Reason: corrections

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
            I've been thinking about my last post, and think I was wrong. Hooking to the wrong post COULD do damage. Voltage would backfeed from the I post to the starter post. Starter current would then flow through your remote switch, possibly burning it out. Just make sure you hook to the small post with the wire from the keyswitch, not the one going to the coil. Sorry for the misinformation, hope this isn't too late!
            Dwight: You can delete your Post #5 if you want. Click on edit and then Go Advanced and you'll have the option of deleting your Post #5. Then, you can Edit Post #6 to say what you wanted to say in the first place, after reconsidering. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Again, thanks for everyone's input. With the knowledge gained I will try not to burn up my remote switch

Comment

Thanks BP,
                I deleted the post with the mistake, and edited the next one. We don't need bad information out there if we can help it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                  .....We don't need bad information out there if we can help it.
                  UH OH...does that mean I have to quit posting?
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                  X